Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New scanning device  (Read 1506 times)

jmlphotography

New scanning device
« on: June 28, 2018, 11:49:00 am »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: New scanning device
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 12:00:54 pm »

It looks like a handy way to meet the need for a film holding solution. The one possible issue I see is whether/how it would accommodate the use of a product such as Museum glass to hold the media flat without the need for wet mounting. When making what are essentially macro photographs of the media, flatness is important to assure sharpness throughout - to the extent the imaging system (mainly the lens and capture set-up) one is using to do this work is capable of that.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 01:21:39 pm »

I saw the Kickstarter blurb. I suppose the kit is okay for quick and dirty copy work. With a little ingenuity, superior results are achievable.

I digitize transparencies (16mm to 4 X 5) with a camera mounted on a copy stand. I like using high-end enlarger lenses (flat field) or superior macro lenses (the Voigtlander Lanthar APO 110mm tantalizes). I've got a LED back light with a CRI of 97 and high R rating. I typically set the LED to 4600K and white balance the camera accordingly. This technique works well with my Sony A7r ii and, believe it or not, my Olympus Pen F set to high resolution mode. ... I have a good collection of Omega negative carriers (the old style silver ones), a slip-stage for mounted 35mm slides, and a pin-registered 35mm film holder. ... This process works well so long as the copy stand is isolated from vibrations. Fortunately, my studio floor is concrete. I recommend a two-second shutter delay or a remote control to avoid physical contact with the camera prior to exposure.

Some of the advantages of this technique are being able to magnify focus in live view, no need to use glass or wet mount (this technique forgives film curl), auto bracketing, and speed. The stand is equipped with a movable compound for precise stitching. 

I've customized two stands. One is a Kaiser and the other a Polaroid MP4 XL.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:49:45 pm by BobDavid »

mteresko

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 01:09:51 am »

I saw the Kickstarter blurb. I suppose the kit is okay for quick and dirty copy work. With a little ingenuity, superior results are achievable.

I digitize transparencies (16mm to 4 X 5) with a camera mounted on a copy stand. I like using high-end enlarger lenses (flat field) or superior macro lenses (the Voigtlander Lanthar APO 110mm tantalizes). I've got a LED back light with a CRI of 97 and high R rating. I typically set the LED to 4600K and white balance the camera accordingly. This technique works well with my Sony A7r ii and, believe it or not, my Olympus Pen F set to high resolution mode. ... I have a good collection of Omega negative carriers (the old style silver ones), a slip-stage for mounted 35mm slides, and a pin-registered 35mm film holder. ... This process works well so long as the copy stand is isolated from vibrations. Fortunately, my studio floor is concrete. I recommend a two-second shutter delay or a remote control to avoid physical contact with the camera prior to exposure.

Some of the advantages of this technique are being able to magnify focus in live view, no need to use glass or wet mount (this technique forgives film curl), auto bracketing, and speed. The stand is equipped with a movable compound for precise stitching. 

I've customized two stands. One is a Kaiser and the other a Polaroid MP4 XL.

What is your LED backlight?

TSJ1927

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 12:01:37 pm »

I've been using this device for 4 years,  Does 35mm - 4x5.  It can shoot multi-shots on larger than 35mm using rise/fall of front standard,  then stitch in PS.  See:  http://www.pbase.com/tojo123/image/166774739
Pages: [1]   Go Up