Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Our future leaders?  (Read 5367 times)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Our future leaders?
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2018, 02:26:12 pm »

Andrew, 

A topic we can all enjoy. Thank you very much. My wife and I are big fans of homemade banana bread. We will try yours for sure.

Peter

JoeKitchen

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 03:13:01 pm »

I respect your subjective opinion about fast food desserts. I respect your disapproval of bananas in milkshakes. We don't agree, that's fine. I used to like Sonic's Pineapple Milkshakes but the only one's they make with real, fresh fruit is with Bananas. Further, they use real Ice Cream or so they say and it sure tastes like it. DQ? I don't think so.
FWIW, Milkshakes and rarely, an order of Onion Rings is all I'll order at Sonic and this is only when on 'road trips'. Here in Santa Fe, we have three Sonic's and I think two DQ's and I never go; we have much better places to eat thankfully!
Don't like Bananas Foster? A photo (not mine):
Edit: In an attempt at being constructive in the Coffee Corner and for those who do like Bananas and like to bake, this is a winner and goes very, very well with coffee:

Ultimate Banana Bread: Cooks Illustrated
MAKES ONE 9-INCH LOAF
Be sure to use very ripe, heavily speckled (or even black) bananas in this recipe. This recipe can be made using 5 thawed frozen bananas; since they release a lot of liquid naturally, they can bypass the microwaving in step 2 and go directly into the fine-mesh strainer. Do not use a thawed frozen banana in step 4; it will be too soft to slice. Instead, simply sprinkle the top of the loaf with sugar. The test kitchen’s preferred loaf pan measures 8½ by 4½ inches; if you use a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan, start checking for doneness five minutes earlier than advised in the recipe. The texture is best when the loaf is eaten fresh, but it can be stored (cool completely first), covered tightly with plastic wrap, for up to 3 days.

1 3/4
cups (8 3/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon table salt

6 large very ripe bananas (about 2 1/4 pounds), peeled (see note)

8 tablespoons (1 stick)
unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly

2 large eggs

3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) packed light brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)

2 teaspoons granulated sugar

1 teaspoon Allspice

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8½ by 4½-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in large bowl.

2. Place 5 bananas in microwave-safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap and cut several steam vents in plastic with paring knife. Microwave on high power until bananas are soft and have released liquid, about 5 minutes. Transfer bananas to fine-mesh strainer placed over medium bowl and allow to drain, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes (you should have ½ to ¾ cup liquid).

3. Transfer liquid to medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until reduced to ¼ cup, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, stir reduced liquid into bananas, and mash with potato masher until fairly smooth. Whisk in butter, eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla.

4. Pour banana mixture into flour mixture and stir until just combined with some streaks of flour remaining. Gently fold in walnuts, if using. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Slice remaining banana diagonally into ¼-inch-thick slices. Shingle banana slices on top of either side of loaf, leaving 1½-inch-wide space down center to ensure even rise. Sprinkle granulated sugar evenly over loaf. 

5. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, 55 to 75 minutes. Cool bread in pan on wire rack 15 minutes, then remove loaf from pan and continue to cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

We once tried making fresh Pineapple ice cream with real pineapple and found out you can't.  The pineapple's acidity curdles the cream real fast.  So in this case, it is not a negative that they don't use real pineapple here.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 03:20:48 pm »

We once tried making fresh Pineapple ice cream with real pineapple and found out you can't.  The pineapple's acidity curdles the cream real fast.  So in this case, it is not a negative that they don't use real pineapple here.
Well it's pineapple but not fresh (frozen?). Perhaps processed. Hence, I've switched to Banana and depending on the location and age of bananas, the flavor profile can vary. I'm OK with that.
The ice cream is made (Vanilla) so grinding up fresh or frozen pineapple shouldn't have any of the effects you suffered.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 03:24:04 pm »

Andrew, 

A topic we can all enjoy. Thank you very much. My wife and I are big fans of homemade banana bread. We will try yours for sure.

Peter
Credit goes to Cooks Illustrated (and Cooks Country), never found a bad recipe yet!

James Clark

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 04:35:30 pm »

I respect your subjective opinion about fast food desserts. I respect your disapproval of bananas in milkshakes. We don't agree, that's fine. I used to like Sonic's Pineapple Milkshakes but the only one's they make with real, fresh fruit is with Bananas. Further, they use real Ice Cream or so they say and it sure tastes like it. DQ? I don't think so.
FWIW, Milkshakes and rarely, an order of Onion Rings is all I'll order at Sonic and this is only when on 'road trips'. Here in Santa Fe, we have three Sonic's and I think two DQ's and I never go; we have much better places to eat thankfully!
Don't like Bananas Foster? A photo (not mine):
Edit: In an attempt at being constructive in the Coffee Corner and for those who do like Bananas and like to bake, this is a winner and goes very, very well with coffee:

Ultimate Banana Bread: Cooks Illustrated
MAKES ONE 9-INCH LOAF
Be sure to use very ripe, heavily speckled (or even black) bananas in this recipe. This recipe can be made using 5 thawed frozen bananas; since they release a lot of liquid naturally, they can bypass the microwaving in step 2 and go directly into the fine-mesh strainer. Do not use a thawed frozen banana in step 4; it will be too soft to slice. Instead, simply sprinkle the top of the loaf with sugar. The test kitchen’s preferred loaf pan measures 8½ by 4½ inches; if you use a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan, start checking for doneness five minutes earlier than advised in the recipe. The texture is best when the loaf is eaten fresh, but it can be stored (cool completely first), covered tightly with plastic wrap, for up to 3 days.

1 3/4
cups (8 3/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon table salt

6 large very ripe bananas (about 2 1/4 pounds), peeled (see note)

8 tablespoons (1 stick)
unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly

2 large eggs

3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) packed light brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)

2 teaspoons granulated sugar

1 teaspoon Allspice

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8½ by 4½-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in large bowl.

2. Place 5 bananas in microwave-safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap and cut several steam vents in plastic with paring knife. Microwave on high power until bananas are soft and have released liquid, about 5 minutes. Transfer bananas to fine-mesh strainer placed over medium bowl and allow to drain, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes (you should have ½ to ¾ cup liquid).

3. Transfer liquid to medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until reduced to ¼ cup, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, stir reduced liquid into bananas, and mash with potato masher until fairly smooth. Whisk in butter, eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla.

4. Pour banana mixture into flour mixture and stir until just combined with some streaks of flour remaining. Gently fold in walnuts, if using. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Slice remaining banana diagonally into ¼-inch-thick slices. Shingle banana slices on top of either side of loaf, leaving 1½-inch-wide space down center to ensure even rise. Sprinkle granulated sugar evenly over loaf. 

5. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, 55 to 75 minutes. Cool bread in pan on wire rack 15 minutes, then remove loaf from pan and continue to cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

You know I'm just goofing on you about your desert choices, right?  :)   

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 04:43:27 pm »

You know I'm just goofing on you about your desert choices, right?  :)
Yeah, but it gave me an excuse to provide a recipe and attempt to post a few items in the Coffee Corner a topic that's political or controversial. At least as yet.  :)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 04:45:29 pm »

As long as we are off topic on deserts, nothing can beat Rose Berenbaum Levy's Triple Chocolate Cake.  I made this three times for special occasions and to me it is the apex of what a cake should taste like.  Here is a nice blog post with a video and the recipe.  It's complicated getting the praline sheets right but when you have assembled this it looks fabulous.  Best to do it over two days.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2018, 04:45:40 pm »

Well it's pineapple but not fresh (frozen?). Perhaps processed. Hence, I've switched to Banana and depending on the location and age of bananas, the flavor profile can vary. I'm OK with that.
The ice cream is made (Vanilla) so grinding up fresh or frozen pineapple shouldn't have any of the effects you suffered.

I do like a good banana milkshake, banana bread though, I just never got into it.  I think it is that the banana is cooked and tastes kind of different. 

But anyway, I would love to be able to try a real Gros Michel banana, which is supposedly much better then the current Cavendish variety.

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 05:00:48 pm »

You guys have no hope.

Cholesterol is gonna claim you before you realise. Take your fruit straight; avoid the ones with loads of sugar; leave ice cream in the shop and have the coffee decaffed. I know, I know, you have to have been clobbered before you really believe it.   

But at least I'll know that I tried.

:-(

James Clark

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 05:07:07 pm »

You guys have no hope.

Cholesterol is gonna claim you before you realise. Take your fruit straight; avoid the ones with loads of sugar; leave ice cream in the shop and have the coffee decaffed. I know, I know, you have to have been clobbered before you really believe it.   

FWIW, I don't drink coffee, and one of my favorite desserts are chocolate "brownies" in which the "cake" is made from dates and walnuts (with a few TBSP of unsweetened cocoa) ground into a "dough" then refrigerated instead of baked.  You can make an awesome frosting out of agave nectar, coconut oil and a little more cocoa. 

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2018, 05:12:32 pm »

You guys have no hope.

Not me, my cholesterol has always been at the low end of normal and HDL/LDL ratio is really good.  :-)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2018, 05:13:06 pm »

FWIW, I don't drink coffee, and one of my favorite desserts are chocolate "brownies" in which the "cake" is made from dates and walnuts (with a few TBSP of unsweetened cocoa) ground into a "dough" then refrigerated instead of baked.  You can make an awesome frosting out of agave nectar, coconut oil and a little more cocoa.

Speaking of health, I saw this article last month.

Coconut oil isn't healthy. It's never been healthy.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2018, 05:18:40 pm »

You guys have no hope.

Cholesterol is gonna claim you before you realise.
I'm 14% body fat. Just had blood work down two weeks ago: Cholesterol is 168, LDL 91, Triglyceride 139. I average 5.9 miles a day according to Apple's Heath app. Thanks for your concern but I'm far more worried about the piss-poor drivers in NM taking my life.

aderickson

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2018, 06:12:18 pm »

To get back the the original topic:
Every older generation goes through this nonsense of despairing of the younger generation. As the young would tell you, just chill. As an older generation member I would tell you that we are arrogant, complacent, oblivious and thus incompetent to judge them. They'll do fine and rise to challenge of the future.

I've raised (and am currently raising) two fine boys. The older is 28 and thus qualifies to be the much maligned millennial. He grew up during the digital revolution and it was a constant fight to limit his screen time. I took him hiking, bicycling and sailing, however, and he has grown up to love those activities. We sailed together up the Inside Passage to Canada when he graduated college and then he did a solo cross-country bicycle from San Diego to St Augustine. He's gainfully employed in a tech job working with others who share his passions. He has a smart and beautiful girlfriend and I couldn't be more proud of him.

Had smartphones existed in the early 2000's he probably would have been one of those in the cars glued to their screens but he's always had jobs, and been successful in them, including in the food service industry. You can't predict success based on a simple premise.

Allan

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2018, 06:16:35 pm »

The most physically demanding summer job I had when I was a student was scooping ice cream in the kiddieland section of an amusement park. You're on your feet the whole time, when there is a rush on you cannot take a break, and you have to be nice to some truly obnoxious people.

A friend of mine was a store manager in a chain of wine stores for while. He said his worst employees were the young ones, he could not rely on them to show up for their shifts nor even to call to let him know when they weren't coming. But the starting level jobs at his store only paid minimum wage. Funny how people swear up and down about supply and demand, yet when they can't find employees to fill jobs at the minimum wage, it never occurs to them to up the ante. Seems like a peculiar kind of economic blind spot.

The lady who ran that ice cream concession stand at the amusement park complained bitterly every chance she got about how impossible it was to make any money, and yet, every summer for years, she bid and won the right to run that concession (it was a summer only amusement park).

So I'm a bit biased. When I hear that kids today don't want lousy jobs at lousy pay, I can't help but think, good on them.

As for the ones with their faces glued to their mobiles' screen, that is a mystery to me. I am finding the interweb less and less interesting as time goes on, and it is starting to remind of network commercial TV more and more. At the moment, except for reading novels, I am most interested in long-form podcasts, where ideas can be fleshed out more completely. Sometimes forums such as this one are interesting, but I'm finding that they are tending toward the short quick-hit sound bite form more and more, without much new info or interesting observation.
--
Robert

James Clark

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2018, 06:19:52 pm »

Speaking of health, I saw this article last month.

Coconut oil isn't healthy. It's never been healthy.

It's *frosting.*  Of course it's not healthy ;)

Besides, there's only 2 tablespoons of the stuff in the whole pan, and it takes good week to eat.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2018, 06:48:45 pm »

.... and it takes good week to eat.
Maybe for you!  ;D
My motto: there's always room for desert.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2018, 05:02:59 am »

I'm 14% body fat. Just had blood work down two weeks ago: Cholesterol is 168, LDL 91, Triglyceride 139. I average 5.9 miles a day according to Apple's Heath app. Thanks for your concern but I'm far more worried about the piss-poor drivers in NM taking my life.

As I've observed before, overall mortality remains 100%. As to why you'd want to spoil such time as you have left by eating bananas, the most revolting fruit known to man, I'm at a complete loss  ;)

Jeremy

Farmer

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2018, 07:17:07 am »

I assume you chose the French version to be topical?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-10/young-french-mother-dies-after-ambulance-call-mocked/9745956

As to bananas, perhaps they're crap over in Blighty, but they're fantastic in the antipodes.  I shudder at the thought of a banana grown over there, TBH.
Phil Brown

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2018, 01:20:31 pm »

I assume you chose the French version to be topical?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-10/young-french-mother-dies-after-ambulance-call-mocked/9745956

As to bananas, perhaps they're crap over in Blighty, but they're fantastic in the antipodes.  I shudder at the thought of a banana grown over there, TBH.

No, just because the sentiment seemed very French. I've had this image stashed away for some years.

I think the bananas we get over here are mostly grown in the Caribbean.

Jeremy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up