Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mediastreet Niagara V vs. IV?  (Read 4128 times)

ariaaudio

Mediastreet Niagara V vs. IV?
« on: October 11, 2006, 10:30:08 am »

Mediastreet offers a couple of appealing models of Niagara ink systems for the R2400.

The Niagara V system comes totally pre-filled (approx 100 ml of ink per color) and pre-assembled. 300 USD.

The Niagara IV is an empty pre-assembled system (130 USD)  that needs to be filled with ink (164 USD for an eight-bottle set of 4 oz.)

100ml is close to 4 fluid ounces so the ink capacity is about the same. But it appears that when the V is empty, I'm out 300 simoleons, whereas the IV costs less to  refill -- unless the delivery bits pack up over time and also need refreshing.

Can anyone offer any help choosing between the two? And maybe I should start by asking if anyone has used these systems with an R2400 and can share their experience.

-- mike elliott

Peter McLennan

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 03:47:28 pm »

But it appears that when the V is empty, I'm out 300 simoleons,
-- mike elliott
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79943\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Surely the V is refillable once empty?  I have to MediaStreet CIS running, both for over five years.  Nearly trouble-free.   If you like printing, you'll LOVE a CIS.

Peter

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 05:38:25 pm »

Ditto the above comment.  I have used their CIS on 2 printers for about 3 years with only minor and easily fixed problems.  After you appreciatte the savings on printing,  the $300 will seem like a no brainer.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

ariaaudio

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 12:01:49 am »

Surely the V is refillable once empty?  I have to MediaStreet CIS running, both for over five years.  Nearly trouble-free.   If you like printing, you'll LOVE a CIS.

Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79981\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You may well be right. I'm not familiar with their line of products. All they say about the V is "The Niagara V system comes totally pre-filled (approx 100 ml of ink per color) and pre-assembled. Set up time is approximately 5 minutes to position the clamps and install the Niagara Cartridges." But since they make a living selling refillable systems, it makes sense the V can be.

-- mike elliott

nigeldh

• http://www.luminousnature.com
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 03:42:21 pm »

The IV is unprimed. The V is primed. Both use external ink reservoirs, probably 4 oz, 125 ml.

Ask them for directions. I have gotten both the pre-filled Niagara for my Epson 1280, G Chrome pigment ink, and the unfilled Niagara for my Canon i9900.

What you normally do with an unprimed/unfilled CIS system is:
1. Fill the external ink bottle about 3/4 full.
2. Clamp the feed tube at the external bottle.
3. Pull a vacuum with a pump they supply on the printer outlet end of the cartridge.
4. Unclamp the feed bottle and let the ink fill the cartridge.

A couple of suggestions:
1. Print at least one 8x12 page per week. This keeps the print heads from clogging.
2. If you notice that the Yellow color isn't printing or the ink lines are running dry, try elevating the external ink bottles slightly. I used a 50 sheet paper box. A couple of large solid metal washers might be better to start with.

When a CIS system works well, the cost of ink is low enough that you will end up wall papering your walls, walls of friends, with prints.
When a CIS system acts up, it can be a pain, and leave your fingers quite colourful, to get it working again.

Nigel
Pages: [1]   Go Up