Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinar .sti raw files & Adobe Bridge  (Read 7209 times)

David WM

• http://
Sinar .sti raw files & Adobe Bridge
« on: October 11, 2006, 10:20:35 am »

I had a folder of 187 raw .sti files. They were captured from a Sinar eMotion22 back tethered to a Mac dual 1.8 running 10.4.7. I am running CS2 (canera raw 3.4). I decided to change the file names to something more meaningfull than the original name I chose when shooting. I have used bridges' batch rename tool a few times on tiff files. It did do the name change, but the files were modified. They were still tagged .sti, but Sinar captureshop would not read them. The file size changed from 45cm wide @ 300 ppi(62 Mb) to 11cm @ 300 ppi(4Mb). The resulting files seems to behave like a 8 bit tiff rgb  but still with the .sti tag.
I find it hard to understand how this happen with a renaming tool. The hi res raw is gone. Any ideas?

Greg Barnett

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 12:26:36 pm »

Any ideas?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79937\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did Bridge display a preview? If so, I would suspect that Bridge could only see (understand) the previews imbedded in the files and during the rename process that is what was saved out.

svein

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 04:44:23 pm »

A rename should never change the file, only the name. I'm not a Mac user, but I believe Macs store some file info/properties in the file, and maybe those could be changed. Need a Mac user to say for sure.

How about file size? If the sizes is correct then all info should still be there.

Greg Barnett

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 05:51:26 pm »

Normally I would agree but my thinking was that if Bridge did see the preview, it could get confused and save only that data as the file. This line of thinking is based on the Sinar files not being supported in ACR. I've had a similar problem happen when looking at a batch of Raw files in Bridge that were not supported in ACR. Bridge somehow pulled up the embedded preview and saved that as the file. Shouldn't be able to happen but it did...

David WM

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 09:42:25 pm »

Did Bridge display a preview? If so, I would suspect that Bridge could only see (understand) the previews imbedded in the files and during the rename process that is what was saved out.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79958\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, Bridge was displaying the preview

Svein, the file size has dropped from 51 Mb (as .sti, which opens to 62Mb RGB) to 4Mb. The missing data is gone.

Greg, it does sound like just the preview was saved. I had my previews set to fill the screen as much as possible, though not maximum, which would be around 4Mb.

It was lucky that I had already delivered the selected hero shots to the client, he was curious to see the rejects again so  I was going to process a batch at low res just for their reference. I can still do that, but not so good if he likes one!

Anyone know if Adobe has plans to include .sti file support? Its a dangerous program to have installed if, as Greg mentioned, he was just browsing and his files were attacked.

Greg Barnett

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 10:59:51 am »

I actually have a pretty high degree of confidence (although I've always been religious backing them up) when using Bridge, I've pushed thousands of raw files through it using the automation features. But when it comes to pointing it at unsupported raw files, Bridge has always been a little flaky. Usually, it just amounts to a corrupted cache that has to be purged when ACR support is added for the camera.

I think it's a pretty rare and isolated problem and one that hopefully will be stamped out in the next version.

svein

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 02:04:04 pm »

If the files really are gone (have you tried any recovery programs?) then you should contact Adobe about the problem. I'm a computer programmer and it's really hard to believe that Bridge touch the content of the file when doing a rename. If it does then Adobe should hear what's happened so they can fix the problem.

David WM

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 12:45:54 am »

If the files really are gone (have you tried any recovery programs?) then you should contact Adobe about the problem. I'm a computer programmer and it's really hard to believe that Bridge touch the content of the file when doing a rename. If it does then Adobe should hear what's happened so they can fix the problem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80118\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Being a programmer must be a handy background to being a photographer nowadays!
What you said made me think that I had forgotten to check my trash. I haven't cleared it out since the problem, but I couldn't find anything resembling the missing data there. I thought that if Bridge somehow discarded the data it would've had to go there.
I suppose there mustn't be any adobe gurus lurking.

svein

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 02:52:33 pm »

Being a programmer must be a handy background to being a photographer nowadays!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80181\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Understanding computers does help for understanding cameras, unfortunately it doesn't help for composing a good picture.

Hope you'll get som help form Adobe. Maybe you should try an Adobe-forum?
Pages: [1]   Go Up