Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P800: Paper Thickness and Platen Width for Canson Prestige 340 gms  (Read 2813 times)

snowy

A novice question.

For Canson Baryta Prestige, Canson media settings are for Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster which uses:

Paper Thickness: 3; Platen Width: Standard.

Canson does not give Paper nor Platen settings, as does Red River, I believe.

But the Epson Luster paper much is lighter and thinner than the Prestige 340 gms.
I suppose that we should test, and if there are problems, then manually adjust the Paper Thickness and Platen Width?

Is there any known info/experience as to the best Thickness and Platen settings for the thick and heavy Canson Prestige?

Second question: when I choose a paper in the Epson driver, can I then independently change the Paper Thickness and Platen Width without it reverting back to that of the chosen paper?

Thanks

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

Set the thickness to 4 or 5 and change the platen gap to Wide. This is much thicker paper than Epson Premium Luster.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

snowy

Thanks, Mark. Really helpful.

Sonny

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images

Just be aware that the thickness of a paper or canvas is not accurately related to the GSM weight.
If you want to know the thickness you need to ask the manufacturer or better still measure it with a micrometer.
That tells you what feed slot you can use from the user guide.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Thomas Editions

• Best Giclée in LA
    • Thomas Editions  Fine Art Printing

Measured with a micrometer, that paper is a 4 setting and on wide.

Von Thomas
Thomas Editions Fine Art Printing
Von Thomas
Printmeister, Thomas Editions Fine Art Prints

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

Canson specs state the paper is 370 um (micrometers) thick. Some confuse the GSM which is about weight, not thickness. 

As Von suggested  this means the paper thickness should be at least 4mm, and best to use wide.  I’ve found going a little further doesn’t cause any visual difference in output, so you might even want to try 5mm and wider.
Pages: [1]   Go Up