Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Observer's view  (Read 10460 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Observer's view
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2018, 04:58:10 pm »

True fact:  The caption above the photograph was never part of the story and a true journalist would have made that clear.  It only was in a subsequent post that you identify it as coming from a friend's Facebook post.  Your original post should have cropped the caption out or identified it as somebody's (unidentified) comment.   Please show me where I stated that you are lying.  I'm stating in this post that what you did was pretty sloppy and I think your subsequent post points that out.

Fair enough.

It didn't occur to me that it might be interpreted as a part of the NYT story. I see now how it could have been, though it was not my intention. 

Rob C

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2018, 05:02:45 pm »

But why would it matter from whence the caption?

In this context, here and now, I can see all sorts of racial aspirations coming into play, poetic justice, even, or perhaps a foretaste of what's awaiting Italy and Spain and has already made parts of Paris impossible to police.

It's just another of the politically incorrect truths that are to be ignored until death. I wonder how the new structures will respond to political correctness when they hold the whip? And all achieved so democratically through arithmetic with a side diish of sex.

SloMo train-wreck.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:05:50 pm by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2018, 05:07:13 pm »

But why would it matter from whence the caption?

In this context, here and now, I can see all sorts of racial aspirations coming into play...

For what it is worth, my FB friend is white.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2018, 06:44:39 pm »

From the other side of the world it is very saddening to see the great USA tearing itself to pieces. We believed there was "something" about the US that held to the idea of better  world view. It seems that the election of Mr Trump has divided the nation permanently.

Not for us to say right or wrong but we do observe a decline in government policy that holds things like achieving greater public good, sense of high purpose and moral leadership to be important.  The US government used to be the "stand-out" on such things but I fear the neo-liberalism of Thatcher and Reagan, which preaches an "every man for himself" has taken hold throughout the West.

Anyway, good luck, and there's always New Zealand. (US nationals are second highest group migrating to New Zealand currently, Chinese being the largest.   No, I'm not a New Zealander)
I am a New Zealander and I wish you good luck with this thread. I tried one similar on cultural tribalism and the polarisation of thought, and enough wackos thought it was about Tr*mp to get it closed down.
Here is alternative view:
With the collapse of the Soviet Union, America's ruling class and their liberal supporters no longer have a use for the middle classes. They are eliminating them by shifting their jobs overseas, limiting free enterprise by putting power in the hands of a few giant corporations, bankrupting them through healthcare and education costs and ruining their children with debt and smartphone addiction.
At the same time they are quite happy about illegal immigration because it provides a supply of servants. You hear them talk about how much they get paid and how hard they work. All under the table of course because holiday pay, sick leave and a pension never enter into the equation.
The rest of the US is aware of this. Those who haven't committed suicide and who aren't on opioids are not so quietly sharpening their pitchforks.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:23:29 pm by David Sutton »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2018, 06:47:02 pm »

True fact:  The caption above the photograph was never part of the story and a true journalist would have made that clear.  It only was in a subsequent post that you identify it as coming from a friend's Facebook post.  Your original post should have cropped the caption out or identified it as somebody's (unidentified) comment. Please show me where I stated that you are lying. 

Nonsense; and re-read your posts.

It didn't occur to me that it might be interpreted as a part of the NYT story. I see now how it could have been, though it was not my intention.

You're being very kind. I don't see how anyone could possibly have interpreted the comment over the image as being part of the story from the NYT.

Jeremy

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2018, 06:50:00 pm »

https://newrepublic.com/article/90059/gop-rick-santorum-best-friend-defense

Ah, the New Republic! Whatever is in liberal magazines must have real value and must be true. What a knee-jerk reaction, Andrew.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2018, 07:09:26 pm »

Ah, the New Republic! Whatever is in liberal magazines must have real value and must be true. What a knee-jerk reaction, Andrew.
What a foolish reaction. First, the article had some interesting history about the use of 'my best friends'. Are you telling us due to it being in the New Republic, that history is ALL wrong? Do provide any leaning or non leaning reference that dismisses what was written in the article. IF you can....
Next, I learned quite a bit of history from the article I actually fully read, unlike some here who's knee-jerk reaction and close minds didn't read the article and decided outright, it's all a lie. The reason I posted the ULR is due to what I learned and thought some, at least those with open minds and an interest in learning some history would also find it interesting. Clearly you don't fall into that camp. You saw the source and decided outright it was bogus. Now you can attempt to dismiss what was written (once you actually read it). I suspect that's far too difficult a task to ask; easier to show a knee-jerk reaction by utterly dismissing the article. I wonder how you ever learned anything anywhere.  :'(

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2018, 07:44:37 pm »

What a foolish reaction. First, the article had some interesting history about the use of 'my best friends'. Are you telling us due to it being in the New Republic, that history is ALL wrong? Do provide any leaning or non leaning reference that dismisses what was written in the article. IF you can....
Next, I learned quite a bit of history from the article I actually fully read, unlike some here who's knee-jerk reaction and close minds didn't read the article and decided outright, it's all a lie. The reason I posted the ULR is due to what I learned and thought some, at least those with open minds and an interest in learning some history would also find it interesting. Clearly you don't fall into that camp. You saw the source and decided outright it was bogus. Now you can attempt to dismiss what was written (once you actually read it). I suspect that's far too difficult a task to ask; easier to show a knee-jerk reaction by utterly dismissing the article. I wonder how you ever learned anything anywhere.  :'(

It may shock you but some of my best friends are liberals. See, I can do it too. And yes, I read the whole article before responding.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2018, 07:56:42 pm »

And yes, I read the whole article before responding.
Once again, you were asked a question who's answer would show the silliness of your post about the article referenced. You say you read the piece, it's all wrong, mostly wrong, partially correct? It's from a source you call, with a knee jerk reaction, a liberal magazine. If that magazine printed the Earth is round, and in a right leaning magazine, it stated the Earth was flat, it doesn't matter the politics, what matters is the facts.
I posted the piece that has for me, interesting historical data, you dismissed it based on the magazine; typical knee-jerk ....
So, again, the article has merit or, as you stated, it doesn't because it came from New Republic?
YOU stated this sir:Ah, the New Republic! Whatever is in liberal magazines must have real value and must be true.
Answer a question IF you can: there is NO value in the article and it is untrue; prove it. Otherwise, the text above in italic is a massive and wrong knee-jerk reaction.
Think before answer if you even answer.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2018, 08:06:43 pm »

... once you actually read it...

Ok, so I actually read it. So? What that has to do with what I said?

I was not defending anything. I was not defending myself from accusations that I do not have liberal friends. I do, but I am not using it as an excuse for anything. I was not defending myself against accusations that I am not anti-liberal. I am.

So, once again, what that has to do with what I said?

You seem to have a knee-jerk reaction to whatever I post, feeling the need to immediately attack it and dispute it, even when I am simply stating a fact, and EVEN when I, rarely, agree with you.

My post was right after Rob mentioned a racial aspect. I said that my FB friend is white simply to remove any suspicion that the death wish to whites is some sort of racial vengeance.

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2018, 08:08:22 pm »

Once again, you were asked a question who's answer would show the silliness of your post about the article referenced. You say you read the piece, it's all wrong, mostly wrong, partially correct? It's from a source you call, with a knee jerk reaction, a liberal magazine. If that magazine printed the Earth is round, and in a right leaning magazine, it stated the Earth was flat, it doesn't matter the politics, what matters is the facts.
I posted the piece that has for me, interesting historical data, you dismissed it based on the magazine; typical knee-jerk ....
So, again, the article has merit or, as you stated, it doesn't because it came from New Republic?
YOU stated this sir:Ah, the New Republic! Whatever is in liberal magazines must have real value and must be true.
Answer a question IF you can: there is NO value in the article and it is untrue; prove it. Otherwise, the text above in italic is a massive and wrong knee-jerk reaction.
Think before answer if you even answer.

Slobodan posts a funny remark about best friends and you find it necessary to post a link to a liberal magazine article that, wonder oh wonder, slams a republican. That's the knee-jerk reaction I alluded to. And yes, liberals tend to quote liberal media to support their issues because of their "whatever is in liberal magazines must have real value and must be true" inclinations.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2018, 08:23:53 pm »

Slobodan posts a funny remark about best friends and you find it necessary to post a link to a liberal magazine article that, wonder oh wonder, slams a republican. That's the knee-jerk reaction I alluded to. And yes, liberals tend to quote liberal media to support their issues because of their "whatever is in liberal magazines must have real value and must be true" inclinations.
Clearly a few here missed the value by throwing the baby (white, Republican or otherwise) out with the bath water. Stuck in the bubble.

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2018, 12:48:26 am »

Clearly a few here missed the value by throwing the baby (white, Republican or otherwise) out with the bath water. Stuck in the bubble.

What value exactly are you talking about?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 12:55:58 am by Frans Waterlander »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2018, 03:14:27 am »

Those who haven't committed suicide and who aren't on opioids are not so quietly sharpening their pitchforks.

Funny you should mention opioids...

Study: Trump Carried Counties With High Opioid Use

(and before you ask, this is from Newsmax which is a RIGHT BIAS media according to Media Bias/Fact Check

U.S. counties with high rates of prescription painkiller use voted heavily in favor of Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election, a new study finds.

Researchers found that, on average, Trump got about 60 percent of the vote in counties with the greatest use of prescription opioids -- drugs such as Vicodin and OxyContin. That was in contrast to counties with relatively low opioid prescription rates; there, Trump garnered just under 39 percent of the vote, on average.

The findings add to evidence that people in communities with economic and social woes commonly threw their support to Trump in 2016. But they do not mean that people addicted to opioids voted for him, the study authors said....

BTW, I've got a variety of pitchforks at the ready of course because I'm a progressive and therefore closely associated with the devil :~)

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2018, 04:30:42 am »

Yes Jeff. It was that study or one similar that prompted the pitchfork comment.
I see His Golden Greatness's election as a form of pitchfork sharpening, among other things which can't be spoken of or we get shouted at.
A similar thing is probably happening in the UK, though that is playing out as a slow motion train wreck.

Edit: I wouldn't call myself a progressive, but I haven't lost my sense of humour, so I can't be a conservative either.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:48:51 am by David Sutton »

jeremyrh

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2018, 04:54:01 am »

The problem with Thatcherism is that sooner or later you run out of other people's assets to flog off.

Rob C

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2018, 07:23:57 am »

The problem with Thatcherism is that sooner or later you run out of other people's assets to flog off.

Yes, the very same assets that other colours of political thought had appropriated to the state in years past.

Some circles are more vicious than others. It all depends at which station of the particular cross you decide to opt in.

Rob

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2018, 03:57:27 pm »

What value exactly are you talking about?
The one's you, by admission (the actual history) missed.  ;D

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2018, 04:04:07 pm »

BTW, I've got a variety of pitchforks at the ready of course because I'm a progressive and therefore closely associated with the devil :~)
They better friggin watch out!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up