Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Film Scanning Questions  (Read 4108 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Film Scanning Questions
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2018, 10:39:44 am »

You are reading too much into my post.  I said and implied nothing about MF film.  I posted this since I thought reports of increased film usage is germane to the discussion.
See post #6: who is quoted there and my question to HIM. Your link provided no such answer.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 11:02:20 am »

Anyone ever work on a 343? Have one that needs a new rubber belt, as it slips, and haven't yet coughed up the $500 to send it in for a full service. Any recommendations? Its not getting a lot of use, but it worked well enough....
Geoff

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 12:00:36 pm »

Anyone ever work on a 343? Have one that needs a new rubber belt, as it slips, and haven't yet coughed up the $500 to send it in for a full service. Any recommendations? Its not getting a lot of use, but it worked well enough....
I didn't have that exact model but several others, it's not difficult to replace the belt IF you can get the part.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Craig Magee

• www.craigmagee.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 06:58:48 am »

I actually found it pretty easy to get the belt. Got two off eBay if I remember correctly, just need to put the size into a search and should find the exact same belts.

I've seen a similar solution to the one Doug sells, and it looks great, but you can actually do something similar with
A copy stand
Lightbox
Ruler
DSLR
Macro lens or extension tubes
Ive recently shot about 8000 frames for a friend, to document some archive rolls he had. (Photographer called Tom Wood, similar to Martin Parr)

Results turned out good enough to use to print at the same sort of size the op would like, in fact we could do 20x24 if we really wanted. Color neg is a bit of a pain to edit, but b&w much easier. Color trans should be really easy. I've been using a Sony A7riii with either a Pentax 645 120 macro or a p645 75mm with extension tubes. We have a little curling on some of the shots but, had thousands to do so  was a quick process, you could always tape down using some tape for drum scanning if you can find it.

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 09:50:55 am »

Verify, then trust.  ;D

More people are probably buying horseshoes now than 100 years ago. As our President states so often: Trust me;)

If you lived where I live in South Gloucestershire you would certainly believe it.  ;D

adriantyler

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 02:43:44 pm »

I actually found it pretty easy to get the belt. Got two off eBay if I remember correctly, just need to put the size into a search and should find the exact same belts.

I've seen a similar solution to the one Doug sells, and it looks great, but you can actually do something similar with
A copy stand
Lightbox
Ruler
DSLR
Macro lens or extension tubes
Ive recently shot about 8000 frames for a friend, to document some archive rolls he had. (Photographer called Tom Wood, similar to Martin Parr)

Results turned out good enough to use to print at the same sort of size the op would like, in fact we could do 20x24 if we really wanted. Color neg is a bit of a pain to edit, but b&w much easier. Color trans should be really easy. I've been using a Sony A7riii with either a Pentax 645 120 macro or a p645 75mm with extension tubes. We have a little curling on some of the shots but, had thousands to do so  was a quick process, you could always tape down using some tape for drum scanning if you can find it.

cool, thanks for that craig.
tom wood's work is great!
adrian

errolhiggins

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2018, 12:36:04 am »

Call Evan at AZTEK.. He is a walking encyclopaedia of scanning and printing 949-770-8787

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2018, 06:31:59 am »

Too bad Hasselblad is asking crazy prices for their Flextights.

If they could update it with ICE technology, add a USB 3.0 interface, limit it to 6x7 size and sell it for 5000~6000 US$ they would own the market and sell many of these.

Cheers,
Bernard

I agree. I think the DigitalDog has the blinkers on on this one.

But Hasselblad is Hasselblad - the Flextights are now selling for double the price they were at when they had "Imacon" written on the front. Hasselblad has done f-all except pretty up the case and add their badge (and even then only to the front... the back still says Imacon) and bump up the price every year. The scanners support only Firewire 400, and the software is an embarrassment.

Let's face it, when they introduced their last piece of bling they'd apparently forgotten they already had a product called "X1".  They are just selling off old stock at cynical prices.

But try to find one second hand at any kind of sensible price ? No chance.  They get snapped up immediately, even ancient Imacons with crazy SCSI interfaces.   So the market is there - does it have the margins that will pay Hasselblad's executives their bonuses ? Nope.   And unfortunately designing and building high end opto-mechanical devices is hard & expensive.  Plustek made a decent stab at it with the OF120, but do not appear to have the will to take that any further.
--
David Mantripp

Mike Dale

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2018, 07:42:32 pm »

I just had 3 films developed and scanned and I am not at all impressed with the scanning. I went for the 4096 pixel scans and compared to the actual transparencies viewed today on a Lightbox are rubbish, the colors are off, they are not anywhere near as sharp as the originals.

Before this thread went slightly off topic I asked about the Epson V850 Scanners. Does anybody actually own and use one of these?

If so is it any good? Can you share an image scanned with it please?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2018, 09:21:03 pm »

I have the Epson V700 and got good results with it on transparencies. Not so with negatives. The size you are saying is fairly small.
I hardly use it these days and so will probably sell it.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2018, 10:26:37 pm »

I have a V850, with large format, it's not bad, for smaller formats, it can't touch my drum scanner.  In the past, anytime I've ordered scans with developing, the quality has only been good enough as a 'proof.'  I think you need higher end scans to get the quality you're looking for.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 10:29:54 pm by Chris Barrett »

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2018, 01:50:00 pm »

I've used http://www.agximaging.com/price-list-3/ with great results.

Hasselblad scans for 12.50

Mike Dale

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2018, 09:22:53 pm »

Thanks Guys. AGX sounds very reasonable. I’ll give them a try.

Thanks again.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up