Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selecting Entries For Art Museum Show - hoping for opinions  (Read 424 times)

bgberlin01

Of the 4 photos on display, I need to select 3 for submission for a juried show - hopefully at least 1 will make the cut.  Looking to get some opinions and constructive criticism. I
don't "bruise" easily...as long as it's civil.  Appreciate your time.

Thanks..Bruce

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Selecting Entries For Art Museum Show - hoping for opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 04:53:07 pm »

What are the themes or categories?

Without knowing the categories, I could say that the last two are competition-worthy. The third one stands the most chance. For the last one, I would clone out that orange twig, assuming the rules allow that.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:57:52 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

bgberlin01

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 05:54:44 pm »

There are no required themes or categories.  I feel that the last two are the most realistic, while 1 and 2 are more 'artsy'. 
I'll work on the hostas in PS and see how the image looks w/o the orange line.
Appreciate your thoughts.  I'll be submitting these photos next week, should hear by Aug. 8 from the panel.  Will keep
you posted.

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 03:55:31 am »

I would include the 3rd and 4th definitely. Don't know about the 1st and 2nd, though. Probably I'd skip the 1st, as it's beautiful, but also a little common and because there people in it. I don't know really about the 2nd, but it's "different" in a way, sometimes a good thing in competitions. But thats really my taste, which is not very "juried show/ competition"-like.
;-) 

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 09:11:38 am »

Much will depend on the judges' interpretations, as well as the level of competition. Your renderings of the sun on sea in the first two come across as "crunchy" to me, and could be interpreted by some judges as technical flaws rather than artistic choices. Also, without the artistic rendering, is there sufficient interest in the images? While artistic rendering can absolutely enhance an image, rendering alone typically doesn't cut it (especially with a seasoned judge).

#3 is appealing to me. I like the graphic nature and composition. I don't mind the "graphic" saturation, but others may disagree. #4 is a pleasant and competent photo, but may not have enough to elevate it above other such pictures. I might experiment with B&W for that one.

I'm glad you don't "bruise easily" because competitions are really a crap-shoot. I've seen really good pictures get "picked apart" for the most minor technical issues, while the obvious (to me) merits of the image get ignored. Most judges try very hard to remain objective, but often there is a lot of subjectivity in their opinion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up