Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you like him now? Trump vs the little kid.  (Read 14300 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
How do you like him now? Trump vs the little kid.
« on: June 22, 2018, 03:27:36 am »

Times new cover is pretty compelling:

Interesting story about it too...

The Story Behind TIME's Trump 'Welcome to America' Cover

John Moore, a Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer for Getty Images, has been photographing immigrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border for years. This week one of his pictures became the most visible symbol of the immigration debate in America.

“This one was tough for me. As soon as it was over, they were put into a van. I had to stop and take deep breaths,” Moore told TIME Tuesday, describing his reaction to the scene of a two-year-old Honduran girl crying as her mother was being detained in McAllen, Texas. “All I wanted to do was pick her up. But I couldn’t.”

You should read the full story:

‘All I Wanted to Do Was Pick Her Up.’ How a Photographer at the U.S.-Mexico Border Made an Image America Could Not Ignore

"This one was tough for me. As soon as it was over, they were put into a van. I had to stop and take deep breaths," Getty photographer John Moore said

The story has other compelling images besides the famous one...

And The Atlantic has a collection of Moore's work in this article:

On the Border With the Photographer John Moore

He also has a new book out: Undocumented: Immigration and the Militarization of the United States-Mexico Border

Interesting to think that the two most compelling examples of journalism in this whole debacle is a still photo of a small girl crying and audio recording  of children asking for their mothers and fathers from a detention center...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: How do you like him now? Trump vs the little kid.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 09:52:41 am »

The toddler wasn’t separated from her mother when they were caught crossing the U.S. border, her father, Denis Javier Varela Hernandez, told The Washington Post. Varela said his daughter, Yanela, and her mother, 32-year-old Sandra Sanchez, were detained together in McAllen, Texas.
Honduran deputy foreign minister Nelly Jerez and a spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection corroborated the story

In the interest of full disclosure, the quote above is from a HuffPost article. The photo attached was also posted in the same HuffPost article, but the headline is coming from Breitbart.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:08:50 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Two23

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 09:57:29 am »

If the choice was still Hillary or Trump, I'd definitely still vote the same way.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 10:55:39 am »

While I find the separation of the kids from their parents one of the dumbest, meanest things we’ve done lately.  I find it equally disturbing that the media in general is suggesting that any time a child is in distress we must “do anything” to “relieve the suffering.”  WTF?  This is pandering in the worst sort of way, IMO.  I continue to become more and more disgusted with all sides of all issues “in the news.”  We’re rapidly becoming a nation that has lost both its mind and its heart.  The lack of critical thinking on all sides is appalling.  The seeming need to win the histrionics war on any topic has replaced any desire for, or progress toward, clarity of issues and forging working compromise in order to move forward on anything.  This nation is headed for self-destruction at an ever increasing pace.

A pox on them all.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

donbga

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 11:15:33 am »

While I find the separation of the kids from their parents one of the dumbest, meanest things we’ve done lately.  I find it equally disturbing that the media in general is suggesting that any time a child is in distress we must “do anything” to “relieve the suffering.”  WTF?  This is pandering in the worst sort of way, IMO.  I continue to become more and more disgusted with all sides of all issues “in the news.”  We’re rapidly becoming a nation that has lost both its mind and its heart.  The lack of critical thinking on all sides is appalling.  The seeming need to win the histrionics war on any topic has replaced any desire for, or progress toward, clarity of issues and forging working compromise in order to move forward on anything.  This nation is headed for self-destruction at an ever increasing pace.

A pox on them all.

Rand

Same old fake news.

This discussion illustrates exactly why this forum serves to be nothing but a distraction to the rest of Lula.

Schewe

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 11:48:16 am »

Same old fake news.

This discussion illustrates exactly why this forum serves to be nothing but a distraction to the rest of Lula.

Guess you didn’t look at the photos huh?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 11:53:46 am »

... any time a child is in distress we must “do anything” to “relieve the suffering.” ...

Kids cry. On flights especially. Then get kicked off the flight. To relieve the suffering of fellow passengers. No outrage. No magazine covers.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 11:54:43 am »

...  We’re rapidly becoming a nation that has lost both its mind and its heart.  ...

What's the joke that says if you aren't a liberal at 18, you don't have a heart.  If you're still a liberal at 40, you don't have a brain. 

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 11:55:03 am »

Guess you didn’t look at the photos huh?

What we looked at, Jeff, was the bullshit. It smells pretty bad.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 11:56:15 am »

In the interest of full disclosure, the quote above is from a HuffPost article. The photo attached was also posted in the same HuffPost article, but the headline is coming from Breitbart.

The BBC seems to agree.

Jeremy

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 11:56:20 am »

Kids cry. On flights especially. Then get kicked off the flight. To relieve the suffering of fellow passengers. No outrage. No magazine covers.
You ever go to an expensive restaurant and someone is there with the three noisy kids running around the place playing grab-ass?  Indigestion!

Rand47

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 12:00:59 pm »

Same old fake news.

Frankly, I don’t see how my post has anything to do with fake news.  Other than, perhaps, to say that there’s plenty of fake news on all sides at all times.  I learned an important lesson when my work life rose to a point where some of what I was involved in was regular fodder for several large newspapers in the metropolitan Los Angeles area (L.A. Times, etc.).  Every single news article published about “the issue” (that I had first hand knowledge of) was inaccurate (poor journalistic research) and also slanted in one direction or another.  The take away for me in this after a couple of years was to extrapolate to all that I read in the news papers.  If the articles that I read, the reality of which I knew intimately, were so butchered as to be almost unrecognizable - what made me think that other things I read were any more accurate?  For those leaning right to jump on the band wagon of “fake news” in its latest incarnation, to think that there isn’t equallly fake news from all perspectives, is naive in the extreme, as I see it.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 12:03:10 pm »

The BBC seems to agree.

Jeremy

More fake news.  The histeria about Trump has distorted fair and balanced reportage from what use to be fair and balanced news sources.  They should all go back to Journalism 101.  It's a disgrace.  Independents aren't stupid.  People know when someone has their thumb on the scale.  Eventually they wake up and see it like the Boy Who Cried Wolf.  Fake news has to be selective to work long term.  The constant bombardment is eventually ignored, or worse for the pushers, countered with people moving to the other side. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 12:06:39 pm »

The BBC seems to agree.

Some interesting quotes from that article:

"He [father] said he believed she went to the US to search of better economic opportunities... He told the Daily Mail he understands Ms Sanchez paid $6,000 to a smuggler to get her across the border."

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 12:09:24 pm »

Frankly, I don’t see how my post has anything to do with fake news.  Other than, perhaps, to say that there’s plenty of fake news on all sides at all times.  I learned an important lesson when my work life rose to a point where some of what I was involved in was regular fodder for several large newspapers in the metropolitan Los Angeles area (L.A. Times, etc.).  Every single news article published about “the issue” (that I had first hand knowledge of) was inaccurate (poor journalistic research) and also slanted in one direction or another.  The take away for me in this after a couple of years was to extrapolate to all that I read in the news papers.  If the articles that I read, the reality of which I knew intimately, were so butchered as to be almost unrecognizable - what made me think that other things I read were any more accurate?  For those leaning right to jump on the band wagon of “fake news” in its latest incarnation, to think that there isn’t equallly fake news from all perspectives, is naive in the extreme, as I see it.

Rand
I agree that there's fake news on all sides.  The problem is that the media that has the most "juice" like the NY Times, Washington Post, NBC, CBS, ABC, distort on the side of liberal, Democrat and anti Trump.  Then Google, and even the smaller news outlets, repeat more of these distorted views because they byline the bigger and more influential liberal newspapers.  All this reporting also goes out across the world so people in other countries get the anti-Trump, liberally distorted news as well. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 12:10:40 pm »

Some interesting quotes from that article:

"He [father] said he believed she went to the US to search of better economic opportunities... He told the Daily Mail he understands Ms Sanchez paid $6,000 to a smuggler to get her across the border."

There you go again confusing us with the truth.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 12:13:31 pm »

It's really sad. I remember when Time magazine was a great source for news. Now there's no news there; just propaganda.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 12:15:42 pm »

Jeff, please keep them coming (fake news).

If the next one flops as spectacularly as this one, or the one before that, about "caged" kids, November will be like Christmas come early ;)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 12:37:34 pm »

As usual, most on both sides of this topic has forgotten the 'theme' of this (IMHO silly) forum:
The Art of Photography > The Coffee Corner > How do you like him now? Trump vs the little kid.
Jeff at least tried:
And The Atlantic has a collection of Moore's work in this article:
On the Border With the Photographer John Moore
Pretty nice photographic work IMHO.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Schewe

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 01:19:42 pm »

As usual, most on both sides of this topic has forgotten the 'theme' of this (IMHO silly) forum:
The Art of Photography > The Coffee Corner > How do you like him now? Trump vs the little kid.

I also posted a link to photos of cats high on catnip (in case you missed it)

Stoned cats!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up