Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Civil War Portraits 2018  (Read 413 times)

Two23

Civil War Portraits 2018
« on: June 18, 2018, 10:32:31 pm »

There are a few Civil War re-enactor events in my region, and I try to go to each.  Earlier this month there was one at Ft. Sisseton, SD.  I only took a 4x5 camera, a couple of early Petzval lenses (c.1845 Ross & c.1858 Derogy), and a bunch of film holders (FP4) and a couple of glass plate holders.  I managed to get some shots of three guys dressed up as Union cavalry officers, and posed them by a field piece.  Ironically, the three guys really ARE officers in the U.S. 7th Cavalry!  There was a captain and two lieutenants, all three active duty!  They are into the history of the unit.  They gladly posed for me. 

I shot two glass plates of them (ISO 2, 1s, f3.5 with 3 stops ND,) and two sheets of FP4 (ISO 125, 1s, f3.5, 10 stops ND).  Only one plate came out; the other three were inserted into the holders reversed!  All film shots were perfect, as was one of the plates!  This is my second attempt at shooting dry plates, and I am very encouraged! :)  I bought another box of 10 and will continue practicing for the bigger Civil War event in August, in Minnesota.  It's a lot of fun doing this, and the guys loved the way the shot came out.

I'll add I used the Derogy Petzval for both shots.

Kent in SD

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:56:48 pm by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

francois

Re: Civil War Portraits 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 04:34:25 am »

Interesting story, thanks for sharing your experience. I like the result very much, it was well worth the efforts.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up