Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Photoshop Anomalies  (Read 1055 times)

Peter McLennan

Two Photoshop Anomalies
« on: June 17, 2018, 08:06:05 pm »

PS CC 19.1.3

1) Frequently, while processing an image with Adobe Camera Raw invoked from Photoshop (ie, using ACR as a filter) the image stops updating when further changes are made to the sliders.  The subsequent changes are reflected in the image when I quit the filter, but I no longer see the image updating "live" in ACR used as a filter. I can't isolate it to any one slider, it just seems random.

2) After a masking session with "Select and Mask", on saving the image the thumbnail displays only the previously selected (mask) area.  The rest of the thumbnail is white.  No amount of saving, renaming or other machinations will change the thumbnail image.  Nor will doing a "save as" to create a new file.  It seems the thumbnail generation process is linked to the file's previously made mask.

Windows 10/64.  12GB RAM, Nvidia graphics card.

Peter McLennan

Re: Two Photoshop Anomalies
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 05:20:22 pm »

Wow.  72 readers and no replies.  Looks like I'm the only one with these issues. :(

Terry_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 05:45:23 pm »

Wow.  72 readers and no replies.  Looks like I'm the only one with these issues. :(

I haven't seen this bug, but Photoshop 19.1.5 came out a few days ago. It bundles a somewhat newer ACR, 10.4.0.62. You might want to try updating and see if that changes things. Note: This is more of a "sacrifice a rubber chicken and see what happens" than a "I think they fixed this", but it is worth a try.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 07:57:20 pm »

Try altering GPU preferences; GPUs/Adobe applications issues/bugs are not uncommon.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 12:21:52 am »

Thanks, boys. GPU is currently invoked. I'll disable GPU if upgrade doesn't fix it.

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 06:25:19 am »

PS CC 19.1.3

1) Frequently, while processing an image with Adobe Camera Raw invoked from Photoshop (ie, using ACR as a filter) the image stops updating when further changes are made to the sliders.  The subsequent changes are reflected in the image when I quit the filter, but I no longer see the image updating "live" in ACR used as a filter. I can't isolate it to any one slider, it just seems random.

2) After a masking session with "Select and Mask", on saving the image the thumbnail displays only the previously selected (mask) area.  The rest of the thumbnail is white.  No amount of saving, renaming or other machinations will change the thumbnail image.  Nor will doing a "save as" to create a new file.  It seems the thumbnail generation process is linked to the file's previously made mask.

Windows 10/64.  12GB RAM, Nvidia graphics card.

Hi Peter,

Since I am still working with PS CS6 I cannot address issue number 1.  However, I can definitely identify with issue number 2.  On several occasions I have seen the exact issue that you have described, with the thumbnail image only displaying the masked area of the image and the rest is simply blank (no image at all).  I haven't seen this for a while, but recently I saved a selection.  On returning to that image I again noticed the phenomenon you have described.  I opened the image, created a duplicate and flattened and saved it, thinking that might fix the problem, but to no avail.  I then realized that since there were no layers to "flatten", that was a useless endeavour.  I then created another duplicate image, opened the channels panel and trashed the alpha channel containing the saved selection.  Closed and saved the duplicate image, checked the thumbnail and all of the image was there as expected.  I cannot explain exactly why this was happening, but I do know that trashing the alpha channel fixed the problem of the missing information in the thumbnail view.  Of course that creates another problem, since you have now deleted the saved selection, but I have just tried this again on a test image file and the same thing happened.  Created and saved a selection, closed and saved the file, checked the thumbnail and it only displays the selection(alpha channel).  I guess that's the reason it's named the ALPHA channel, it rules.  I imagine Andrew might have some other way around this, but I'm stuck.

AN ADDITION - Some of the affected files I have viewed were created in PS CS5, but others are from CS6.  I would have thought that perhaps by now Adobe might have overcome that particular phenomenon, but apparently that is not the case.  Again, the only way I've found to overcome the case of the missing bits in the thumbnail is to trash the Alpha channel, which is the saved selection. 

Gary 

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 07:59:02 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 06:54:48 am »

Hi, Peter:

I am still on the CC 2014, so I can't speak to the exact problems you have.  But my wild guess is that perhaps the memories in your machines, D and/or V, are no longer adequate for this version of the CC.  Masks seem to require the greatest memory/computing power - I have no idea why.  May be it is the "real-time" nature of the tool.

Regardless, I recommend that you ask about about this on the Adobe forum.  I was seeing something quirky in the image size module once, and I asked about it over there and it turned out to be a bug.

:Niranjan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up