Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Didn't know this!  (Read 1526 times)

praja343

Didn't know this!
« on: June 17, 2018, 12:12:59 pm »

I have a Epson 3880 and was printing on Epson Baryta Paper. The sheet kept going through without printing and I kept getting the paper check error. After a few tries with the same error (it was a darkened room) I took the paper to a window. I was not loading the coated side up to be printed. Once I flipped the page so that the "right" side was being printed on, the printer functioned without the paper error. Many other papers have Epson printed on the back so this mistake cannot be made. Didn't know the 3880 could sense that the wrong side was loaded.

mearussi

Re: Didn't know this!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 03:21:57 pm »

Actually you're lucky that the printer sensed it. I've printed on the wrong side more than once and have had to clean up the mess afterwards.

NAwlins_Contrarian

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 06:50:16 pm »

How nice that the 3880 can detect this, at least with Epson Legacy Baryta. As much as I like Hahnemühle Photo Silk Baryta 310, which I suspect is very similar, telling which side is the print side is not super-easy for me, and I've put the wrong one through the Pro-100, I think twice. It makes a bit of a mess of things. Fortunately there are not too many papers that have given me that problem.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 09:00:23 pm »

I really doubt that the printer is sensing the paper is upside down.
I suspect it is more like the curl of the paper one way or the edge is not square.
I have printed upside down on a few occasions with a messy result.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 12:50:42 pm »

The paper check error is because the paper isn't loading correctly and the edge of the paper can't be accurately detected.  As mentioned turning it over allowed it to be loaded correctly most likely do to edge curl or the inability for the printer to grip the paper and move it accurately. the printer has no ability to detect if the paper is loaded printing side up.

praja343

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 03:52:57 pm »

I guess it was too good to be true! Still because of the magic genie, it saved a few sheets of Epson Baryta.

henrikolsen

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 03:46:41 pm »

As much as I like Hahnemühle Photo Silk Baryta 310, which I suspect is very similar, telling which side is the print side is not super-easy for me...

Remember you can do a careful damp/wet finger test to feel on which side the coating is. The coating will make some resistance.
But it can leave a mark on some coatings, so expect you might need to cut off or hide that small part of the paper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up