Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shutterspeed for insects  (Read 973 times)

henrikfoto

Shutterspeed for insects
« on: June 16, 2018, 06:32:35 am »

I was wondering what shutterspeed I need to get flies, bees etc sharp?

Herbc

Re: Shutterspeed for insects
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 01:15:54 pm »

If you are shooting from a tripod, you would need less speed. On the other hand if your camera has IBIS you can probably get away  with 1/250-   hand held -a lot depends on the focal length of the lens and how much the bug is moving, etc etc.

David S

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 03:22:51 pm »

Tripod or hand held are less important than the movement of the subject. I have been lucky with speeds as low as 1/60 and have had movement (blur) at 1/250 depending on the "bug" so always faster is better.

Dave S

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 10:09:08 am »

Dependent on the species, time of day, behavior at the time you are shooting it. Handheld photo of insect grazing at flower at 1:2 - 1/250 is good, on burst mode, anticipating that minor shifts in your position (ie, breathing) or bug's position will get critical focus in some shots. Snoozing bug in early morning cool (hah! that means 80 degrees now) - you might manage 1/60 using the "Lord V" method of grabbing camera plus hiking pole (stick, whatever support) with non-shutter hand. Wind is also a problem.

Flash - eliminates all those pesky low shutter speed issues involving bug or leaf/stem movement. Figure out if you want a dark far background or a natural far background, adjust camera accordingly, and shoot. I am still learning the art of macro flash.

henrikfoto

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 02:32:47 pm »

Thanks a lot everybody. I have been doing a lot of flowers etc close and feel I normally get it now.
But 125 on the shutterspeed was not good enough for the flies at daytime. Now I have been trying some more at 250 and more. Getting better now. I was used to getting away with long exposures because it is a wr lens. But that is just static objects with a little wind. The wings of flies etc was a different story.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 02:35:33 pm »

Thanks a lot everybody. I have been doing a lot of flowers etc close and feel I normally get it now.
But 125 on the shutterspeed was not good enough for the flies at daytime. Now I have been trying some more at 250 and more. Getting better now. I was used to getting away with long exposures because it is a wr lens. But that is just static objects with a little wind. The wings of flies etc was a different story.

That's why such subjects often require the use of flash.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up