Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cell phone remote shutter release for X1D?  (Read 5414 times)

Fotophil

Re: Cell phone remote shutter release for X1D?
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 04:54:19 pm »

I was able to rebuild the Generic shutter Release Bracket by lengthening the rod, adding a steel right angle bracket over the slotted aluminum plate and clamping the vertical rod to the right angle bracket to prevent flexing. It was time consuming to figure out the bits and pieces but it really works well. I am using an air release which is easier of the shutter button. Anyway after a week in the field it has not failed so I will use it until I find something better. I have some photos but I am having trouble posting them. The bracket isn't pretty so maybe it best that I don't show photos.

Fotophil

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 05:51:59 pm »

The Nikon Coolpix 900 was the first camera without a cable release socket that I encountered 20 years ago.  The situation was similar to the X1D in that Nikon, like Hasselbald, had no way to incorporate a cable release into the basic camera design. In the late 1990's the 900 Series Cameras were very popular and thus there were several very nice (expensive) third party cable release brackets available at the time.
I salvaged one from my junk drawer and modified it to fit the X1D. The device was a fabricated aluminum "C" clamp that attached to the camera  tripod and arched around the camera ending right above the shutter button. It was very rigid which prevented all cable release flexing. The X1D is somewhat larger than the Coolpix 900 so it was necessary to increase both the bracket height and width by about 1/2 inch.

My first X1D cable release bracket project that used the Generic Shutter Bracket from E-bay was functional but very crude and ugly. The increased stiffness of Coolpix Bracket offered a big improvement in functionality while being much less ugly and so it has become my  X1D Cable release Bracket of choice. I have no idea if there are any Coolpix 900 Brackets available on the used market but the modification is pretty straightforward.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 01:41:16 pm »

Doesn't the baby Hassy take a mic remote trigger like the large geriatric ones?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

tcdeveau

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 03:01:45 pm »

Doesn't the baby Hassy take a mic remote trigger like the large geriatric ones?

Edmund

Not officially.

The setup on the H bodies is great.  You can use a generic $3 trigger that plugs into a portion on the handgrip, so if it's mounted on a tripod with an L-bracket you don't have to mess with the bracket to get to any of the side ports. 

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 06:38:53 pm »

I sent the following to Hasselblad Support in Europe.
"I have bought the X1D and am loving it.

Would you please consider opening up the Phocus Mobile app to third parties for customisation and for external triggers?
Possibly you could do these yourself.
Typical applications would be intervalometer to capture at fixed intervals, a bracketing option, a sound operated trigger, contact operated trigger, light operated trigger etc."

I got this response

"Thank you for contacting Hasselblad Customer Support.
I will forward your request to our product manager.
I think it's good ideas that you have! (I also hope this will be considered and implemented)
We hope this is of help for you. Let us know if you would have any further questions."

Hopefully they will do something and I guess the more people ask then the more likely it is.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Fotophil

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 09:02:13 pm »

Good move Bob!

Let’s hope other X1D Users will contact their local Hasselblad Office.

hubell

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 09:16:03 pm »

Would you please consider opening up the Phocus Mobile app to third parties for customisation and for external triggers?
Typical applications would be intervalometer to capture at fixed intervals, a bracketing option, a sound operated trigger, contact operated trigger, light operated trigger etc."

I got this response

I think it's good ideas that you have! (I also hope this will be considered and implemented)
We hope this is of help for you. Let us know if you would have any further questions."

Hopefully they will do something and I guess the more people ask then the more likely it is.

FWIW, the early adopters have been requesting a hard wired cable release since BEFORE the X1D even started shipping in January, 2017. Hasselblad is well aware of this request and hasn't delivered it. I am sure  that if they could, they would have delivered it by now. I have reluctantly reached the conclusion that we will not see it before the X2D. It would be nice if Hasselblad would acknowledge it.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 12:43:56 am »

FWIW, the early adopters have been requesting a hard wired cable release since BEFORE the X1D even started shipping in January, 2017. Hasselblad is well aware of this request and hasn't delivered it. I am sure  that if they could, they would have delivered it by now. I have reluctantly reached the conclusion that we will not see it before the X2D. It would be nice if Hasselblad would acknowledge it.
Designs are set in stone a long time before they ship. It was designed not to have a cable release. I would be surprised (and I often am) if the X2D or whatever had a cable release. You may as well ask why iPhones don't have a headphone socket, why computers don't have CD drives and why poker machines don't have handles. They are obsolete. Does it need an external shutter release? Yes, but it is and will remain done by software the same as everything else will be done in the future. There is more chance of having your phone with you than having your cable release with you anyway.

I regard myself as a laggard in technology. It usually works well. I read about new things but unless I really need it I don't invest until others have fixed all of the problems and the price has dropped 30%.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:23:37 am by BobShaw »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 06:06:55 am »

Err, yes all true, but one might also argue that this camera is a product for an older crowd who hate cellphones partly because they cannot even see them without their glasses, that this is a camera which will often be used on a support, and that using the mic jack to detect a focus lock and shutter press would have allowed Hassy to tick a box cheaply.

I own a very nice pair of $300 Bose bluetooth headphones, but the sound of films is always out of sync on my computer- where wired earphones just work. I find that I can tolerate a wire better than sound that comes half a second after the picture.

Newer is not always better if the guy writing the spec foobars the spec. Lack of a cable release is a mistake, not a sign of the times.

Edmund

Designs are set in stone a long time before they ship. It was designed not to have a cable release. I would be surprised (and I often am) if the X2D or whatever had a cable release. You may as well ask why iPhones don't have a headphone socket, why computers don't have CD drives and why poker machines don't have handles. They are obsolete. Does it need an external shutter release? Yes, but it is and will remain done by software the same as everything else will be done in the future. There is more chance of having your phone with you than having your cable release with you anyway.

I regard myself as a laggard in technology. It usually works well. I read about new things but unless I really need it I don't invest until others have fixed all of the problems and the price has dropped 30%.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Joe Towner

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 11:49:08 am »

I got this response

Actually, this is the wrong ask.  What I think you want is for Hasselblad to open the APIs so that someone could talk to the camera, ala what Pentax just did via a SDK: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news/ricoh-releases-sdk-for-pentax-cameras.html

You do not want to interface with Phocus Mobile, aka the iOS app on a phone.  You'll find that Apple severely limits inter-app communication in their designs by default.   'Custom App' <-> Phocus Mobile <-> Hass X1D is the translation of your ask, which doesn't add anything.  You'd be limited to features implemented in Phocus Mobile.

What you want is 'Custom App' <-> Hass X1D - where the app sends standard commands and gets standard responses.  In the guts of it all, these are all serial commands over a IP link, with RTSP style video stream for live view.
t: @PNWMF

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 06:27:34 pm »

... You do not want to interface with Phocus Mobil ...

Well actually I do. If you want something else then ask them yourself.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:59:12 pm by BobShaw »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up