Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cell phone remote shutter release for X1D?  (Read 5412 times)

Fotophil

Cell phone remote shutter release for X1D?
« on: June 15, 2018, 10:48:25 pm »

I am looking for field experience using the Hasselblad software for establishing a remote shutter release on the X1D Camera. A recent X1D firmware upgrade brought auto bracketing capability but unfortunately removed the ability to use the self timer function in conjunction with auto bracketing. Since the X1D has no support for a wired remote release it seems that a WiFi based cell phone release system might solve the problem. Do any X1D users have any experience with remote shutter release?

jduncan

Re: Cell phone remote shutter release for X1D?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 04:10:18 pm »

I am looking for field experience using the Hasselblad software for establishing a remote shutter release on the X1D Camera. A recent X1D firmware upgrade brought auto bracketing capability but unfortunately removed the ability to use the self timer function in conjunction with auto bracketing. Since the X1D has no support for a wired remote release it seems that a WiFi based cell phone release system might solve the problem. Do any X1D users have any experience with remote shutter release?

Hi,
If you want a plethora of experiences (in mine it does work) I will suggest you go to: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/

This Forum is very good for Phase One users. Leica, Fuji, and Pentax are also at home here. But Hasselblad will talk and express their opinions in the neutral lands of getdpi.

Phocus should do the trick:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/phocus-mobile/id411637574?mt=8

Best regards,
english is not my first language, an I k

Fotophil

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 12:10:19 am »

Thanks for the info on Hasselblad Phocus Mobiland it is good to hear that it looks O:K for you. Are youi using it with an iPhone and if so what model and OS? Which Hssselblad are you using?

Fotophil

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 09:59:30 pm »

I am able to connect my X1D and iPhone using Phocus Mobil. Te remote shutter release function works but unfortunately it does not seem to support the auto bracketing function. When I set the auto bracket to a 3 shot series of -2, 0,+2, pressing the iPhone release button takes one shot at -2 and stops. Pushing the iPhone button a second time results in another exposure at -2 and pushing a third time results in another -2 exposure. If I use the shutter release button, one push results in a sequence to the three exposures -2, 0, +2. Can someone else please verify this behavior?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 02:52:46 am »

Phocus Mobil ... unfortunately it does not seem to support the auto bracketing function.  Can someone else please verify this behavior?
User Guide Page 111
"Bracketing is not supported in Phocus Mobile or when tethered to Phocus. For tethered operation, use the Capture Sequencer function in Phocus."
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Fotophil

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 10:47:31 am »

Thanks Bob - now I know that Phocos Mobile is not the solution to my desire for a remote shutter function supported by auto bracket. Next up must be the wired remote. Hasselblad indicated a potential solution to the missing "X1D cable release " would be a third party wired release using the USB connection. E-bay has such items for Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc. but none specifically for the X1D. Any ideas?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 11:12:51 pm »

I have only ever used Phocus Mobile to allow the customer to view and rate the images as I shot them. It is fairly basic. This morning I thought I would try using Phocus on a MBP using wifi, but that is not supported. You have to use USB. So you could use the sequencer in Phocus and then activate the shutter by Phocus Mobile if that is essential.

Frankly however I have never used auto bracketing. I used to bracket when I had the Fuji G617 with 120 film but there was no auto anything there and it didn't even have a light meter. I found it better to take a few shots with a digital camera and get the correct exposure and then set the G617 and take a maximum of two. You only got 4 shots to a roll so multiple shots for one image was a waste. I think the same is true but more so now. The film had a dynamic range of about 4 stops. The Hassy has a DR of 14 so as long as you check the highlights on spot and put them far right on the dial then all should be good.

I just sent a message to Customer Support requesting an option to reverse the front and rear control wheel functions so that the front is shutter speed and rear aperture in manual mode. That was available in the H series and allows the Canon style of control. The front being aperture is the Nikon style. They replied that they will look at it for a future release. If auto bracketing is important to you then try sending them a request. You never know. Cheers.

Fotophil

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 11:32:38 am »

I contacted the New Jersey Hasselblad Office regarding  upgrading of Phocus Mobile Software to include support for auto bracketing. They sent me a favorable response as follows: "Yes, I contacted the factory and they confirmed that it is flagged as a request, but there is no eta. The public will be informed if we release a firmware that has this feature."

I suggest that all X1D Users that desire to use Phocus contact Hasselblad ASAP.

Fotophil

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 01:07:36 am »

Just in case the Phocus Mobile update gets lost in the Hasselblad bureaucracy, I am developing Plan B which involves modifying a U Clamp Bracket originally manufactured for a Nikon Coolpix 995 Camera (yes even Nikon once screwed-up up and built a camera without a cable release) which was made without a cable release socket. The bottom leg of the U attaches to the camera tripod mount and the top leg of the bracket accepts a standard threaded cable release fitting. The bracket was sized so that the cable release pin pushes down on the camera shutter release button.

In addition to resizing the U bracket, the part of of my modification is to incorporate an air release mechanism that uses a rubber squeeze bulb connected with a length of soft rubber hose - similar to what to be used on the old Packard view camera shutters. I am afraid the set-up may be a bit bulky but I won't really know until I am finished but it sure won't be as nice as an electronic wire release.

I will post my finding when complete.

Fotophil

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 01:43:11 pm »

I found a commercial universal cable release attachment bracket on E-bay for $25. It bulky but might be an alternative for those not wanting to build their own. E-bay item number is 191551889481

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 07:59:44 pm »

I can't remember the last time I used a cable release. I have a Canon 5Ds that has a socket and I have the required cable but seldom it is that I have the cable with me when I want to use it. Same with the Hasselblad H4D. I have never used the cable release. So the 10s delay coupled with mirror up is usually the solution. In the studio I just fire tethered.

Personally any solution that requires you to press the button is worse than no solution at all as pushing the button itself causes vibration. In my case I don't think the X1D having no cable release is an issue. It has no mirror or clunky shutter in the camera so vibration should be less than most cameras with a cable release. Either the app or a delay shutter should do the trick.

Fotophil

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 01:07:00 am »

I think an air release will minimize shutter button movement vibrations. The primary reason for my interest in a shutter button activation is that the self timer delay does not work with automated bracketing that I use for HDR Exposures. The other problem with self timers in the field is the delay. There are instances when I want the shutter immediately and not after a delay. I found a cable release mounting bracket on E-bay and I understand that Amazon also has something. One the guys on the Hasselblad Forum fabricated his own bracket  - so perhaps there is an answer!

Joe Towner

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 01:48:36 pm »

As someone who does timelapses & uses an automatic head for panorama work, the lack of a cable shutter release makes the X1D non-functional for me.  I gave my Hasselblad rep a really bad time back in 2016 about it - as in stating I can't buy one without it.  It wasn't the first time he had heard it, and my use cases made complete sense.  Talk of something via the flash socket was there, but as we have seen it's almost 2 years and nothing.  To lack an intervalometer as well at this point is really sad.
t: @PNWMF

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 08:24:28 pm »

As someone who does timelapses & uses an automatic head for panorama work, the lack of a cable shutter release makes the X1D non-functional for me.  I gave my Hasselblad rep a really bad time back in 2016 about it - as in stating I can't buy one without it.  It wasn't the first time he had heard it, and my use cases made complete sense.  Talk of something via the flash socket was there, but as we have seen it's almost 2 years and nothing.  To lack an intervalometer as well at this point is really sad.
I just bought an X1D for less money than a Canon 1Dx Mk2. You are probably never going to buy one, which is a shame because they are a fabulous camera. I doubt that they would do anything via the flash socket as that is where the GPS plugs in. To me geo tagging is a great benefit as the catalogue just shows the photos on a map. That is great for travel.

I just can not see where your use case prevents using the mobile phone app. It is so easy that I doubt an X2D if that is what it is called will have a cable release either. You should be able to get a software system where each shot on the app moves the auto head if that is the requirement. Hardware solutions in cameras are a dying thing.

Joe Towner

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 12:56:04 am »

I just bought an X1D for less money than a Canon 1Dx Mk2. You are probably never going to buy one, which is a shame because they are a fabulous camera. I doubt that they would do anything via the flash socket as that is where the GPS plugs in. To me geo tagging is a great benefit as the catalogue just shows the photos on a map. That is great for travel.

I just can not see where your use case prevents using the mobile phone app. It is so easy that I doubt an X2D if that is what it is called will have a cable release either. You should be able to get a software system where each shot on the app moves the auto head if that is the requirement. Hardware solutions in cameras are a dying thing.

Hey Bob, it's great that you got one at a great value for you.  But I need to stress that my use case doesn't match yours.  I use the heck out of that 2.5mm port on my H4D and 645z, as for my Gigapan, or Syrp gear or any other robotic/motion head, that's the only way to interface the units.  Works great with the H6D-100c - the only platform that takes a standard sync cable.  It's the one thing that pisses me off about the XF platform - the non-standard cable release.

Here, I'll share what I pitched to Hasselblad for an advertising campaign: Hasselblad returns to Space.  Do a helium balloon launch of a pair of X1D's doing cross shots, with a few GoPros to catch video.  To do this requires an intervalometer for each camera, and that sync port is more likely to work all the way up and back, unlike any type of wireless remote.

Fancy software is nice when you can touch/kick/reboot it when things don't quite work.  But a cable release more or less is going to keep working long after your phone has decided it doesn't want to connect anymore.
t: @PNWMF

Fotophil

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 11:52:51 am »

Although there is debate among the users of Phocus Mobile with respect to reliability with respect to remote shutter release, there is no debate that the software will not support the automatic bracketing function on the X1D. Hasselblad made some poor decisions such as the absence of a cable release socket during the development of the X1D and have resisted changes despite overwhelming requests from the public either due to hardware limitations or continued stupidity. It will very interesting to see if any of the requests will be incorporated into the X2D

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 06:04:02 pm »

Fancy software is nice when you can touch/kick/reboot it when things don't quite work.  But a cable release more or less is going to keep working long after your phone has decided it doesn't want to connect anymore.
Nearly everything you use these days runs on software. Your phone, your car, sewing machine, petrol pumps and your camera.
I was going to suggest that you could rig something using the headphone socket on your iPhone, but iPhones don't have headphone sockets anymore! Like it or not new products will have less and less physical connectivity. They take up space which is the main problem.

It is likely that someone in China will produce an intervalometer function shortly. Your next problem is that probably you won't be allowed to import it. Good luck.

adammork

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 04:22:10 am »

I have the X1D, I like it - a lot! but please give me a cable release, I have never missed an image, due to a dropped connection from my cable releases on other cameras, but I have missed quit a few due to a dropped wifi connection, when using apps - you simply don't have time and opportunity for this, when you make a living with you cameras.

Fotophil

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 11:56:42 am »

Nothing is happening in the development of a third party wired cable release for the X1D and perhaps because the electronic circuit information has not been made public. After all of the discussion of the cable release problems, I believe the current X1D Design is simply not compatible with a wired release. Perhaps the new X2D Design will address the problem but only if the Hasselblad Desigers  decide if it is necessary.

Several X1D Users including myself have fabricated mechanical brackets for positioning a cable release tip directly above the X1D Shutter Button. My designs work but they are so crude and ugly that I am embarrassed to use them. It sure turns a beautiful camera into a "Rube Goldberg" toy!

THANKS HASSELBLAD

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 07:42:36 pm »

Nothing is happening in the development of a third party wired cable release for the X1D ...
THANKS HASSELBLAD
Every review I have ever seen of this camera even before it was released said that it did not have a cable release. If that is a critical factor to you then why did you buy it?

I have only just bought the X1D but the decision process was about two years. It is serious money even at the current discounts.
I spend a lot of time buying Subway though.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up