Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson V750 scanning  (Read 1317 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Epson V750 scanning
« on: June 15, 2018, 08:45:17 am »

I have many dozens of small snapshots to scan. What I have been doing is putting 4 or 6 on the scanner glass then opening the resulting image in Photoshop then cropping each individual snapshot into its own, new image. Works but is tedious. I have a distinct memory of a scanner setting that recognizes the multiple snapshots and automatically crops each one to its own file. I am using Epson Scan. I cannot find the setting - or have I imagined it?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson V750 scanning
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:06:09 am »

I see nothing of the kind in Epson Scan. Perhaps you were thinking of SilverFast. If so, I would recommend putting the slides into the slide frame holder (if they are mounted) or onto the Fluid Mount Accessory glass if they are not), then using the SilverFast "Find Frames" tool to frame each of the slides, then you can call up each one to crop to suit (this is always a manual process as it depends on what cropping you want, differing for each photo). Then open them into the Batch Scan tool, which will scan them one after another retaining your crops and any other collective or individual settings you have made in SilverFast.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Doug Fisher

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 11:14:32 am »

I am guessing by "snaphots" you are scanning photos and that the setting you are trying to remember is the "auto photo orientation" in the "Configuration" menu on the Preview tab?  You may also want to adjust the "thumbnail cropping area" setting and go to the "Other" tab to turn on the "correct document skew" option. 

Sometimes it is faster to just turn of the thumbnail option and do a manual crop to create your own batch scan.

Doug

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 08:49:32 pm »

This is easily done.

https://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr317p/pr317prf/howto_4.htm

https://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr317p/pr317prf/usepw_2.htm

Basically, you need to keep the images at least 20mm apart from each other (in any direction) and you should get automatic results. If you don't, or if you want to put them closer together, you can use the marquee tool to create up to 50 focus zones that will result in individual images.

Using one of the supplied frames helps with this because it creates the black border which helps the software recognise the boundaries between images.  In the case of prints/snapshots/similar you might consider custom making one using some black card and cutting out windows to place the prints in (but leaving enough space between them even without the black borders should work fine and you can fine tune with the marquee tool).
Phil Brown

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 09:02:08 pm »

That's very interesting Phil, never saw it - but those instructions are for a "3170" - also works for V750/850? It isn't in any of the documentation for Epson Scan that I ever received with the V750/850.

stormyboy

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 10:10:40 pm »

Maybe the OP is thinking of  File > Automate > Crop and Straighten Photos in Photoshop.
Tom

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 01:27:16 am »

That's very interesting Phil, never saw it - but those instructions are for a "3170" - also works for V750/850? It isn't in any of the documentation for Epson Scan that I ever received with the V750/850.

It's standard functionality - that was just the first/easiest link I could quickly find.  Epson Scan, as I'm sure you know, is a single version of software that works across most of the scanning devices (if you have more than one installed, you get to choose which one to use each time you fire it up).
Phil Brown

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 08:03:43 am »

Thanks Phil, yes I'm aware about the nature of Epson Scan, but have only ever used it on the V750 and V850. I rechecked the manual yesterday evening (and poked around the various menus in the application itself) and still didn't see anything on those functions, but that doesn't *necessarily* mean they aren't there :-).

jeyell

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 12:16:16 pm »

Image Capture (on a mac) used to do this 6-8 years ago. It would scan multiple shots , crop and rotate to a reasonable degree. However Apple has had a tendency to remove useful features from its software in recent years so may not be there now.

Regards John

Pages: [1]   Go Up