Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: should I get a 35mm and a 50mm?  (Read 1334 times)

danhsmile043

should I get a 35mm and a 50mm?
« on: June 14, 2018, 12:17:41 am »

I'm in the process of building a Hasselblad H1/H2 kit for use with an IQ180 back.

I shoot mainly landscapes and need to be able to carry the kit in a backpack. I also shoot small groups. In the past, when I have gone on trips with my Hasselblad V camera, I have been able to get by with a 50mm and a 150mm.

At this stage, I can afford three lenses, one of which will be a 150mm.

I am having trouble deciding on the other two. All the zooms are too big and heavy for me.

Linhof published a diagram showing how to select lenses based on the frame size of the recording media:

Standard lens=the length of the diagonal (for the IQ180's sensor, this is 68mm and nearest lens in the range is 80mm)
Wide-angle=the length of shortest side of the frame (for the IQ180's sensor, this is 40mm and nearest lens in the range is 35mm)
Extreme wide-angle=half the length of longest side of the frame (for the IQ180's sensor, this is 27mm and nearest lens in the range is 28mm)
Telephoto=twice the length of longest side of the frame (for the IQ180's sensor, this is 108mm but I have decided on a 150mm)

My experience is that I do not use the standard lens in any of my kits very often.

Joe Towner

Re: should I get a 35mm and a 50mm?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 09:07:50 pm »

I LOVE the 28mm - I would consider it over the 35mm every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  A 28/50/150 works better if you have the 1.7x as well, as it gets you a 85mm and a 255mm.  Have you considered doing the V adapter for now, and finding your favorite focal lengths?

With your landscapes, do you stitch or are you focusing on a single click?  It's a shame you can't do the zooms, the 35-90 is my 'if only one lens' selection.
t: @PNWMF

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 02:53:19 am »

If you shoot mainly landscapes then 35mm would be the maximum. Smaller if you can get it and afford it.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

BAB

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 09:20:12 pm »

Well the 35mm is the only H lens that falls short in every aspect, since you shoot landscapes the 28 or the 24 is the only viable wide to use. That being said the 100 2.2 is the perfect lens for stitching. After the 28 or 24 I would buy the 50mm.
Please go on the [size=78%]https://www.mpb.com/en-us/brands/hasselblad/[/size] you can’t beat the pricing, I have bought several things from them.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

tcdeveau

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 11:04:29 pm »

Just out of curiosity, after spending the $$ on an IQ180, why are you basing your lens choices off of a manufacturers recommendation and not your own needs/experience?

I’d agree with the 24mm and 28mm HCD over the 35mm HC, however, it is my understanding that with an IQ180 you won’t benefit from the lens corrections in Phocus because Phocus won’t open Phase One raw files (and Capture One won’t open Hasselblad files).

Since the HCD lenses were designed for sensor sizes smaller than the IQ180, I’d look into if capture One supports lens corrections for those lenses and maybe test them out the workflow on the H/IQ180 platform before purchase if you can.

I’d also add it’s a shame the zooms are too heavy. When I was shooting the H-system, I opted for the 35-90 over a combination of primes and it didn’t disappoint for my needs (landscape).

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 01:44:16 am »

Agreed about the HC35mm, stay away.

The 28mm is oustanding (even if it only fully covers 36x48mm). The 50mm II is even better and may be the best H lens (Otus level).

Btw, the P1 28mm is the “equivalent” of the HC35mm, worst lens in P1 line up by a big margin.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up