Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advanced Lens Cleaning  (Read 345 times)

Brad Paulson

Advanced Lens Cleaning
« on: June 13, 2018, 02:46:53 AM »

Has anyone tried or have any thoughts on this method with spectroscopic grade methanol?  Just saw it on a post at B&H.

Trying to find a way to safely get lenses factory clean.  See pic. 

Conner999

Re: Advanced Lens Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 08:30:10 AM »

Seems a bit over the top a procedure for external surfaces of lens that will have dust, etc., deposited seconds after cleaning. That said, if it works... Personally have found that a couple of drops of RoR Fluid on a fresh Kimwipe works wonders (if smudges)- after lens blown clean.

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »

Well yes, spectroscopic grade methanol would work - but most people don't have access to this, and it's expensive as heck (typically bought in 2 L and 4 L jugs).

Harold Clark

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 09:11:09 AM »

Has anyone tried or have any thoughts on this method with spectroscopic grade methanol?  Just saw it on a post at B&H.

Trying to find a way to safely get lenses factory clean.  See pic.

I have had good results with regular eyeglass cleaner. A Canon service rep once told me they used a 50:50 mixture of ether and alcohol, that was about 1978 so I don't know if that is still the case. Ether may be hard to come by, not something you see in a hardware store.

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 09:58:09 AM »

Skip the ether. Not only is it hard to come by, but it is dangerous to handle (in the lab, it is kept and used always in a chemical fume hood, for fire safety reasons), and may get you a visit from your local law enforcement or DEA / ATF Feds. Ether is the cause of all those meth lab fires.  Ka-Boom!

Brad Paulson

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 02:00:01 PM »

Skip the ether. Not only is it hard to come by, but it is dangerous to handle (in the lab, it is kept and used always in a chemical fume hood, for fire safety reasons), and may get you a visit from your local law enforcement or DEA / ATF Feds. Ether is the cause of all those meth lab fires.  Ka-Boom!

I find your arguments compelling, counsellor.

Of all the methods Iíve tried (including a paint on rubber cement like substance manufactured for telescopes - big mistake), Iíve never tried RoR fluid and may give that a try. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up