Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not a Sony rant  (Read 1549 times)

David Watson

• David Watson
Not a Sony rant
« on: June 12, 2018, 02:03:07 pm »

Hi

I know that there has been a lot of hot air about this sites preferences (Sony Leica et al).

Now that Hasselblad have made the X1D a very usable light camera with some great lenses isn't it about time that we had an in depth review?  Prices are dropping and it is now very affordable (IMO).
David Watson ARPS

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Not a Sony rant
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:48:46 pm »

Well, it's "very affordable" for people who have USD 6500 to put into the body and another 3000~4000+ for each of the lenses, at today's B&H net prices. And then there is the added weight compared with a Sony or Leica system. It's lighter than the older Phase One rigs, so in that regard it's progress, but still. More importantly, high resolution medium format is a different world from medium resolution APS-C or even FF Sony. By the time you get to even a 40 MP sensor, you need a vibration-free tripod to assure satisfactory results, unless you have an extraordinarily steady hand - some people do, many don't. So for most it will be a very different style of photography. I learned this the hard way. I agree it's a new and interesting camera that deserves to be reviewed, but I think it important to bear in mind that it isn't optional versus Sony or Leica. It's a different kind of photography.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 04:54:52 pm »

Well, it's "very affordable" for people who have USD 6500 to put into the body and another 3000~4000+ for each of the lenses, at today's B&H net prices. And then there is the added weight compared with a Sony or Leica system. It's lighter than the older Phase One rigs, so in that regard it's progress, but still. More importantly, high resolution medium format is a different world from medium resolution APS-C or even FF Sony. By the time you get to even a 40 MP sensor, you need a vibration-free tripod to assure satisfactory results, unless you have an extraordinarily steady hand - some people do, many don't. So for most it will be a very different style of photography. I learned this the hard way. I agree it's a new and interesting camera that deserves to be reviewed, but I think it important to bear in mind that it isn't optional versus Sony or Leica. It's a different kind of photography.

Yes that is all true (well almost).  The affordability test is in the context of Leica/P1/Fuji prices.  I agree that a Sony A7R series or a Nikon D850 is a less expensive and in some ways better option but that does not detract from the fact that the X1D is a fine camera with some great lenses and worthy of attention (admittedly for the few).

By the way it is just as easy to shoot handheld with an X1D as it is with a D850 or a Leica S without an image stabilised lens.
David Watson ARPS

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 08:51:57 pm »

I'd like to review a lot of other cameras.  I talk about the cameras I have or do own.  It is also a matter of time.  I am traveling until July 4th.  I just am finishing a workshop in the Palouse.  Less than 12 hours at home and I am heading to the opening of Leica PArk in Germany then off to Svalbard to run another workshop.  I look forward to July when I can catch up on a lot of projects. So, it's not a matter of not wanting to test new or other gear it is a matter of time to do so. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 09:18:45 pm »

By the time you get to even a 40 MP sensor, you need a vibration-free tripod to assure satisfactory results, unless you have an extraordinarily steady hand - some people do, many don't. So for most it will be a very different style of photography.

Not my experience with the H6D-100c. With a shutter speed about 2.5 x 1/focal length I have zero issue with sharpness with hand held photos, even with the mirror.

I believe that with their lens shutters and associated lack of plane shutter, the X1D should be very easy to shoot handheld, probably easier than a Sony.

But by now I would wait for the X2D that can't be that far off.

Cheers,
Bernard

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 09:41:35 pm »

As I said, depends on the camera and how steady one can hold it, which varies from person to person. I found it impossible to use a Phase One 645DF P40+ without a tripod and obtain satisfactory results from it.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 09:50:57 pm »

............... the X1D should be very easy to shoot handheld, probably easier than a Sony.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard - I'm using a Sony a6300 with a Zeiss lens - the image stabilization provides about 3~4 stops worth of incremental steadiness and the camera is a breeze to hold and keep steady because it's so small and light. I doubt any medium format camera can beat this in that respect.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 04:51:57 am »

Bernard - I'm using a Sony a6300 with a Zeiss lens - the image stabilization provides about 3~4 stops worth of incremental steadiness and the camera is a breeze to hold and keep steady because it's so small and light. I doubt any medium format camera can beat this in that respect.

Yes, you've got a good point. I had not taken IBIS into account.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 08:01:13 am »

Hi,

High resolution is about everything. Keeping down shake from hand holding, wind, shutter and shutter release, pin point accurate focusing at keeping diffraction at bay.

Best regards
Erik

Yes, you've got a good point. I had not taken IBIS into account.

Cheers,
Bernard
Erik Kaffehr

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 12:20:18 am »

Before transitioning to digital, my favourite camera was a Fuji GW690 with a 90mm lens. It was quite large but amazingly light for its size and the 6x9cm film frame. I was shooting it often handheld and if I recall correctly, at 1/125s - 1/500s. Scanning it 1600 dpi, pretty much everything was sharp. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 09:08:48 am »

I've been less impressed with the results of hand-holding a Phase One 645DF P40+, but that's me. On a tripod it's remarkably good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up