Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Twilight  (Read 2633 times)

Luis M. Anibarro

Twilight
« on: June 09, 2018, 03:51:46 pm »

Los Realejos, Canary Islands
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:53:56 am by Luis M. Anibarro »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Twilight
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 07:48:14 pm »

Lovely mood.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 07:54:21 pm »

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 11:46:50 pm »

I so love that time of day.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

JTPhotographics

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 03:26:32 am »

For my mind, the image is way to dark. The sky has some great colours in it, I would edit this in PS and work on brightening the foreground whilst trying to maintain the background. This way you will get a nice balance and detail in the rocks left of shot as well as maintain that sky.

Sorry to sound harsh, Im 100% trying to be constructive and help you out :)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 11:15:18 am »

Your processing, from what I’ve seen in your two or three examples shown so far, tends to be on the restrained, muted, even somber side. If that was intentional, in order to keep it more realistic or natural, or achieve such a mood, then I have no issue with it. The trend, however, is for more dramatic interpretations, and the JT comments are in that direction. That may or may not be your desire. Would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 11:21:38 am »

Your processing, from what I’ve seen in your two or three examples shown so far, tends to be on the restrained, muted, even somber side. If that was intentional, in order to keep it more realistic or natural, or achieve such a mood, then I have no issue with it. The trend, however, is for more dramatic interpretations, and the JT comments are in that direction. That may or may not be your desire. Would be interesting to hear your thoughts.
+1 ... Technically it works. Good color theory. Subject is dispersed and confusing. Processing is dark - maybe trying to introduce some vignette to control the viewers focal point?
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

Luis M. Anibarro

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 01:39:48 pm »

Thanks a lot for your kind comments, Slovodan.
Yes, I like to reflect as much as I can, the mood I saw in the scene. If it is a twilight, I don't feel the need to follow the trend to fit, as you mentioned, dramatic interpretations (as we are commonly seeing in lots of milky way shots lately).
Have you seen them? It is like the stars are looking at you and lightning the entire night. Have you ever felt any nightscape fed of light by only the milky way? Those are precisely the only shots that seem to be praised nowadays.
Same with my twilights. I just like them dark, and if I can get any detail on the shadows, welcomed, but I need to keep them dark to satisfy me.
I could easily push luminance masks to get a brilliant mood out of the shot... but, that's not the scene that I saw and that's not what I liked in it. It was simply a day dying. Let it may rest in peace. ;)

Telecaster

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 03:31:44 pm »

I like the calm, muted quality of the photo myself. There's a saying in music: "respect the note." I think that's what Luis is doing visually here.

-Dave-

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 05:30:22 pm »

I like the calm, muted quality of the photo myself. There's a saying in music: "respect the note." I think that's what Luis is doing visually here.

-Dave-
I agree. Any brighter and it would lose the sense of twilight.
It's fine just as it is.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Alskoj

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 06:44:04 pm »

Los Realejos, Canary Islands
I can imagine it looking exactly like this.  I like it.

guido

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 08:36:03 pm »

I think there is a recent tendency for folks who don't understand the photographers intention to attempt to "help" by explaining how to make the photograph like one of theirs. Such unsolicited comments are not helpful at all. Offering suggestions when invited is fine, but if uninvited, not so much...

guido

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 08:39:09 pm »

Beautiful image! Well seen and executed!

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 01:18:01 am »

I think there is a recent tendency for folks who don't understand the photographers intention to attempt to "help" by explaining how to make the photograph like one of theirs. Such unsolicited comments are not helpful at all. Offering suggestions when invited is fine, but if uninvited, not so much...

I agree completely. I think the processing on this image is spot on.  Photographers seem to be taking a paint by numbers approach to things. Just because you can brighten it and show detail and contrast everywhere doesn’t mean you should. And engineering approach rather than a creative approach seems to be the trend at the moment.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 02:56:53 am »

I agree. Any brighter and it would lose the sense of twilight.
It's fine just as it is.

I agree. It's good. Leave it alone.

Jeremy

JTPhotographics

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 03:35:00 am »

WOW really?

When a photographer posts an image without stating their intent, it is left to the viewer to determine what that intent was. My feedback based on what I was reading is that the image is too dark. I don't know about you but at twilight my eyes can still make out patterns (albeit it not a great as during the day), shaped and colours; hence my feedback.

And to say that unsolicited comments are not helpful and that offering suggesting when invited is fine but uninvited not so much...Im pretty sure I read the topic of this thread as 'To showcase & discuss Landscape images' hence I was discussing the image.

I have only just come back to this forum as paying member, if this is the preciousness that one comes up against when giving feedback I don't think this place is for me.

OP - None of this is pointed at you, you have not stated if you like feedback or not.

francois

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 03:46:57 am »

For me, I wouldn't touch it at all. I like the mood.
Francois

stamper

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 04:00:03 am »

My feelings exactly. There is a difference between critique and offering whole scale changes. We all see scenes differently but if there are obvious "faults" then they should be commented on?

guido

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 06:23:15 am »

WOW really?

When a photographer posts an image without stating their intent, it is left to the viewer to determine what that intent was. My feedback based on what I was reading is that the image is too dark. I don't know about you but at twilight my eyes can still make out patterns (albeit it not a great as during the day), shaped and colours; hence my feedback.

And to say that unsolicited comments are not helpful and that offering suggesting when invited is fine but uninvited not so much...Im pretty sure I read the topic of this thread as 'To showcase & discuss Landscape images' hence I was discussing the image.

I have only just come back to this forum as paying member, if this is the preciousness that one comes up against when giving feedback I don't think this place is for me.

OP - None of this is pointed at you, you have not stated if you like feedback or not.

There is another section for the Forum called "User Critique". Those sorts of comments are more appropriate there...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 10:29:44 am »

... Such unsolicited comments are not helpful at all. Offering suggestions when invited is fine, but if uninvited, not so much...

For a smart person, ANY comment is helpful.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up