Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pale prints from Lightroom after system migration  (Read 1614 times)

Cornelius

• photographer based in switzerland
    • Cornelius Fischer
Pale prints from Lightroom after system migration
« on: June 06, 2018, 11:39:41 am »

Today I migrated my system (OSX 10.13.5) to a new internal SSD. Since the migration Lightroom 7.3.1 produces only pale prints. Colors are wrong, shadows extremely pale. For me I looks like a color management issue. Checked also the profiles with Apple ColorSync. None of them is corrupt. Printing with Photoshop works fine.

Things I already did:
- Tested the printhead nozzles (all clean)
- Reinstalled Lightroom
- Recreated the print presets
- Tried several papers/ICC profiles

After spending several hours with troubleshooting, Lightroom still prints completely wrong.
Does anyone has any ideas I can try? I need to print a huge bunch of prints and need Lightroom to do the job..
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:47:21 am by Cornelius »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Pale prints from Lightroom after system migration
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 11:51:10 am »

When you softproof the photos in Lr do they look OK? When you go to the Print Module, does the screen image of the photo to be printed look OK? Can you try printing from Photoshop to see whether the same problem occurs? All this would help isolate whether the problem is with Lr or the OS or the printer driver. It could be that in the migration something didn't migrate properly. Maybe the printer driver? Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver? More questions and no answers here, but obviously this is not a self-evident issue and needs some further digging to isolate possible causes. I'm interested in how this works out for you because I too have been considering migrating to an SSD, but not taken the plunge yet.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 12:02:21 pm »

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply and questions. Here the answers:
- Softproof in LR looks normal
- Preview in LR print modul looks normal
- Printing with Photoshop works normal (tried Tecco PFR220 and PFR295 paper with corresponding ICC profiles)
- Printer driver reinstallation is still on my list. Will do this tomorrow afternoon.

Uninstall and reinstall from LR didn't help so far.

The migration was performed with the Apple migration tool after fresh OSX installation.
I copied all files from the old to the new SSD (programs, account/personal data, preferences etc..)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 12:55:14 pm »

What printer and driver rev?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 12:59:04 pm »

The fact that you could print from Photoshop properly and that everything except the print itself looks OK with Lr, logically suggests there may a processing problem between Lr's print module and the downstream processes (OS or printer driver). When you uninstall and re-install the printer, don't just delete the printer and re-add it through the Preferences function; trash the whole Epson folder and re-import the complete driver package for a fresh install. If this doesn't correct the problem, then logically it would suggest something between Lr and the OS color management module when exercising the print function. I can only say "logically" because I don't know enough about the internal connections between these processes to further identify with any confidence what may be happening under the hood. This is just a process of elimination to try to pin where the problem may be arising.

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 07:40:17 am »

Here comes an update --> all works fine again!

What happened:
After the SSD Upgrade of my MacPro (running with 10.13.5) yesterday, I had really bad prints from Lightroom 7.3.1 on my Epson 3880 (driver 9.33).

Things I tested:
- Tested the printhead nozzles (all clean)
- Reinstalled Lightroom
- Recreated the print presets
- Tried several papers/ICC profiles
- Softproof in LR looks normal
- Preview in LR print modul looks normal
- Printing with Photoshop at Epson 3880 works normal (tried Tecco PFR220 and PFR295 paper with corresponding ICC profiles)
- Printing on my Epson 9890 with LR worked fine

What solved the problem:
Reinstallation of the Epson printer driver v9.33 and adding the Epson 3880 again as printer to the OS.
--> Not easy to fine the printer driver on Epsons website.. took my nearly an hour to find a working download link at the European website..

Seems that there was a issue between Lr and the Epson 3880 at the color management.
Thx Mark for the hints and help!

Now I only need to figure out why Lr is crashing on our trainees iMac when applying our b/w presets and why my Promise R4 raid looses the connection to my MacPro when the Mac goes to sleep..
How I hate this IT problems.. 😤

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 07:55:26 am »

Glad to hear the first problem is solved! Good luck with the remainder.

Cornelius

• Cornelius Fischer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 03:12:24 pm »

@Mark
Thanks for the tips! I really love this forum, even though I'm not often here.
Whenever I have some serious issues, I got professional help. Often better then from company's support teams.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 05:35:53 am »

Now I only need to figure out why Lr is crashing on our trainees iMac when applying our b/w presets and why my Promise R4 raid looses the connection to my MacPro when the Mac goes to sleep..
How I hate this IT problems.. 😤

You seem to be quite good at this already but may I offer a couple of suggestions which may help.

Raid.  When the Mac goes to sleep it also puts any hard drive connected to it to sleep as well.  You can turn-off this option in the System Preferences>Energy Saver.  This may help.

B/W presets.  My suggestion would be to delete the old ones and remake them from scratch, if this is possible.  Clearly something has gone wrong with the presets.

I hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up