Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P800 (once again)  (Read 3460 times)

vrkaya

Epson P800 (once again)
« on: June 06, 2018, 10:51:52 am »

Ok, I spent last evening trying to figure out an issue with profiles for my Epson Surecolor P800 - or should I clarify it is the "lack of profiles" that is the problem. I have only recently started digging into this printer and previously used Canon. I like the results I achieved on Breathing Color Vibrance Metallic, but BC provided the profile so it was not an issue.

I spent all last evening (and I mean hours) searching through this forum and the internet, in general, to try and demystify why I have no profiles to go along with this printer? Looks like many others have encountered the same exact problem. I did not have this problem with my Canon printers and after doing all the above mentioned reading, it is still a mystery.

I mean, I have a ColorMunki and could create all my profiles manually for each surface I want to print on, but normally I could find manufacturer created profiles for a printer on their paper. It seems odd to me that I should have to create all of them myself, so I must be missing something?

The only profiles I found through Epson for the P800 are kind of generic and I'm at a loss at how to use them right now. They do not look like normal profiles to me? What I downloaded from Epson is named:

SC-P800_Series LegacyBaryta_PK_v1
SC-P800_Series LegacyEtching_MK_v1
SC-P800_Series LegacyFibre_MK_v1
SC-P800_Series LegacyPlatine_PK_v1

These are the only profile "names" that show up in LR, but I can say they don't make much sense (to me) about when I should use them? For example, I wanted to print on Epson Exhibition Canvas Satin yesterday, so I would think there should be a profile with about the same name as the surface for me to use? The instructions with the canvas say I can get profiles for it and my printer at epson.com/proimaging/iccprofiles.html but that just ends up bringing me back to the same 4 names above. The canvas instructions also say if not using an ICC profile choose Watercolor Paper-Radiant White as the Media Type setting.....but that option is not available to me either???

I should mention I'm on a MacBook Pro. ColorSync does not show any Epson profiles installed, except the above 4 obscure names?? I've tried looking under Other to add the profiles in LR but, as just mentioned, there's nothing there that even remotely sounds right?

Like I said, I did a lot of reading last evening, and tried many of the things described, but maybe I don't have something installed that I need, I don't know. I'm normally more "computer literate" than this.... If I missed a thread that will solve my problem please feel free to point me to it. I tried to find everything I could to research this before posting.  Even Epson support is vague about this and really of no help.

So, if anyone could suggest what I may be missing here, I would greatly appreciate it. In the meantime, I'm going to start creating my own custom profiles....

Ron

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson P800 (once again)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 11:07:43 am »

Epson's full suite of profiles are buried deep down in the bowels of the driver. The attached diagram shows you where they are. Make sure Lightroom is closed. When you get to EP14080L2 you need to CTRL-CLICK on that name, click on "Show Package Contents" and "Contents" will show up. You just carry on expanding from Contents until all the profiles show as in the diagram. Once you locate them, copy-paste them to your regular Profiles folder in System>Library>Colorsync>Profiles. Then open Lightroom and click on the Profiles dropdown, and choose "Other", whereupon a list will come up. You check the boxes beside the profile names you want to show in Lightroom and you're done. Those profiles will be available for use.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

vrkaya

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 12:06:01 pm »

Thanks, Mark:

I neglected to mention I found a similar thread about that last evening, but this likely shows my problem. This is what it looks like in my Library.

I can click on the EPSON SC-P800 Series.app and show package contents but there are no profiles and it's structure is much different then your image? None of my printers listed there as .app have profiles inside of them, so I'm not sure what has happened, because I have profiles available with the others...viewable in ColorSync and in my Adobe software.

I just remembered that when I first received the P800 I downloaded the Driver and Utilities Combo Packkage (epson16404.dmg) but it would not install. I called Support and they could not get it to install either, but they told me all I really need is the driver so we installed just that (epson18606.dmg) and I was able to print fine on BC Vibrance Metallic after that. I just checked and there is not a newer driver on Epson's site...

It seems like I may not have something installed, though? I'm using Sierra on my MBP.

Regards, Ron

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 12:12:56 pm »

You don't have the AirPrint driver loaded do you?
It comes with very limited profiles.
My P800 current driver is 9.80 (9.89) With that driver I have around 24 profiles that came with the driver.
Like Mark says to look at them click HD, Color Sync and Profiles and they should be there.
If they are not then check your driver.

vrkaya

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 12:24:00 pm »

Hi Dan,

I guess that may be what I have, because my driver version is 10.1? I will look for the driver you mention.

Thanks,
Ron

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 01:08:28 pm »

18606.dmg contains all the Epson profiles profiles and it is reachable in the same way I illustrated above. If you follow those instructions carefully you should be able to find the profiles, copy them to your Profiles folder and reveal them in Lr.

vrkaya

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 01:22:39 pm »

Mark & Dan,

Thanks so much for the quick and concise help. I will get the the 18606.dmg driver reinstalled, this time taking careful and deliberate effort to make sure I don't miss anything I am supposed to do during the install.  I have no idea what the devil I did during the first install, and will post later about how it goes.

Regards,
Ron

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 01:32:37 pm »

Ron,

Following-up on Dan's point, at some step during the install process there is an option to select the Series driver instead of the Airprint driver. Make sure to watch for where and when that option arises, because silly enough the default is Airprint, so you need to consciously change this to Series (unless Epson has amended this behaviour over time, I don't know). It's really important.

aderickson

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 03:16:38 pm »

Thanks Mark. You solved a mystery for me also. I had the right driver installed for my R3000 but darned if I could find how to make all the Epson paper profiles visible in LR.

Allan

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 03:26:44 pm »

Thanks Mark. You solved a mystery for me also. I had the right driver installed for my R3000 but darned if I could find how to make all the Epson paper profiles visible in LR.

Allan

You are welcome Allan. They don't make some of this stuff easy or intuitive for us, huh? Then they wonder why more people aren't printing. :-)

vrkaya

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 04:17:01 pm »

Well, I tried to reinstall 18606.dmg and I get no option whatsoever to do anything other then a "standard" installation. I tried time after time with it. There is no option and very simplistic text and buttons throughout. All I can do at the "standard" installation window of the installer is press Continue or Go Back... I can't even edit where it installs to; it just says its installing to my Mac HD. There are no buttons/options available...

I'm at a loss and have no clue why I seem to be experiencing different results with the installation process. Everything else on this Mac (a 2017 MBP) works perfectly????

Going to give up until later this evening because have some other things I must do before I look into it again. Guess I will have to try Epson support again, but need to print so may resort back to creating my own profiles.

Thanks for all your time and suggestions, though. I'm normally very capable with this type of thing and it just seems that the installer you are seeing is - for some reason - different then what I am getting, which makes no sense, of course.

Regards,
Ron

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 04:23:13 pm »

This may help:

Change Airprint to Series

Less detailed but maybe useful:

Apple Support Community

vrkaya

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 06:06:22 pm »

Mark,

Going to throw another "monkey wrench" in here because the photo below is how the Epson, and my other installed printers, have always looked. I've never seen "air print" by any of them and didn't realize that was one place it would be obvious..... so looks like the Epson is installed as Series.... and now there is no entry at all along the Library/Printers path for the Epson - no .app, no Epson folder. Weird.

I have an older MBP (2014 model) and my MBP 2017 (the one with Epson issue) is the only one that has ever had this problem. I'm going to install the Epson on the my 2014 MBP and I have a hunch it will go just fine. I had one other app (Corel Painter 2018 upgrade) that also installed strangely on this 2017 MBP, to the point where I had to reach the 3rd advanced level of Corel Support to get it to start. The same app installed and worked just fine on my 2014 MBP. The Corel Support guy who fixed it really knew what he was doing, and had to log onto my 2017 MBP and delete some unnecessary pref files, reinstall the Corel software, etc... but he fixed it completely.

I would think, though, that some general operating system or other general issue on this 2017 MBP would cause issues in some of my other software, but the Epson P800 and Corel Painter 2018 have been the only ones. All mu Adobe stuff works and updates just perfect, and the entire computer works fine otherwise.

One other thing I may try later, if the Epson installs fine on my 2014 MBP is I will likely backup all my stuff on the 2017 MBP and finally upgrade my OS to High Sierra. That makes me wonder too if retaining an older OS might be causing issues, yet my 2014 MBP has just Sierra, so I'm not sure.... at least I can just create a custom profile with the Color Munki to get printing on the Epson Canvas, if needed...

I switched to Mac in 2014 because I like the closed-system, "black box" type of computer over all the conflicts that used to occur when I used Windows. Until these issues with Epson and Corel, my Macs have always just flat worked, which was what I wanted. Plus, since its a closed system it has always been nice that if there is a problem, well many many other people have the same exact MBP and have seen the same problem, and so a solution has normally always been easy and quick to find. So, this issue that has happened twice now with the 2017 MBP is odd....when I had the install issue with Corel I received the dreaded "I've never heard of that before" reply which you just don't want to hear....LOL

Anyways, I need to "step away" from the computer for a few and work on the things I mentioned above later and see how it goes. Once again, I really appreciate your time and efforts to help and I will see what happens. I will post my results later also so that maybe it will benefit someone else who someday has a similar issue....

Regards,
Ron

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 07:35:06 pm »

Did you try following the instructions in the first link of Reply 11 above on you 2017 MBP?

I notice in your screen grab that one of your Canon printers is also on Airprint, but anyhow this is about Epson. You probably should replace Airprint with Series on all your printer drivers.

vrkaya

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 08:06:15 pm »

Darn, you're right - I didn't see AirPrint in the detail section for the MX920. And I just checked on the P800 (didn't earlier since it said Series in the left pane) but there it is listed as Series-Airprint in the details. I will go through Reply 11 instructions completely - didn't think it applied earlier due to seeing Series on the left, but I just more thoroughly learned a valuable tip from you. My mistake...Thank you again.

Ron

vrkaya

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 08:41:33 pm »

Success!

I am back to just the P800 "app" visible in the Library/Printers path, but I did click and select "show package contents" on the "app" and though no profiles visible in the path it otherwise everything worked as described and I can now select a big list of icc profiles for the P800 from LR and other software:) I'm already using SC-P800 Exhibition Canvas Satin PK_v2!

Great, I appreciate your steady persistence, Mark. You gave me the answer hours ago.

Regards,
Ron

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 08:51:18 pm »

Great - glad it all worked out.

vrkaya

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 05:00:15 pm »

Mark,

In a work a day later...... WOW!

Ron

Garnick

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 08:22:20 am »

Hi Mark,

I've been following this thread just out of curiosity, but I did learn something.  I had never delved deep enough to actually find the printer ICC Profiles list, but following the crumbs you left behind I was able to finally finish the journey.  Not that I'd ever have any particular need of that list, but it was always a bit of a mystery to find it.  Thanks for that info.  Also, one question, sort of.  When I install an Epson printer driver I'm ALWAYS very careful to choose the "Series" version.  However I am somewhat confused about what I'm seeing on the screen grab from Ron.  I was of the impression that one would install either the Series version or the Airprint version.  I was not aware that there was a "series-AirPrint" version as shown in the screenshot.  I suppose this is moot at this point, but it does seem somewhat confusing.  I don't recall seeing this when I installed the P7000 driver, but of course I was totally concentrated on installing ONLY a "Series" version alone and nothing to do with AirPrint.  And one other curiosity.  I don't recall ever seeing the ".app" following the printer name in my user library.  It definitely isn't there in High Sierra or on my older Mac Pro running Yosemite. 

Gary
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:34:41 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 08:33:11 am »

I noticed that too Gary. I think there are variances in the details of how these different drivers are written-up, but as long as one can still be sure of installing the Series version things should work well. I think it would behoove both Canon and Epson to make the Series driver the default driver in their professional printers. This would avoid a lot of confusion that keeps coming up over and over again. I have heard, however, that this design is not fully under their control - in the case of Apple for example I believe I heard it mentioned that they are facing constraints from Apple computer in respect to how they design this. If so, the several companies involved should cohere on these technical details to make life easier for their customers.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up