Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony a7R3 Battery Exhaustion  (Read 378 times)

charles.woodrich

Sony a7R3 Battery Exhaustion
« on: June 04, 2018, 12:35:19 PM »

I've had this camera for about three months and everything has functioned well until a few days ago when the batteries (sony) started draining to the point of exhaustion.  The auto off is set to five minutes and the lens is native.  I don't recall changing any settings.  Anyone else have this issue?

sbay

• http://sandiegobeautiful.com/
Re: Sony a7R3 Battery Exhaustion
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 02:34:04 PM »

I have the R2, but I've found that if forget to turn it off and put it in my bag, the proximity sensor will keep the EVF on and drain the battery.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 07:52:57 PM »

On the a7r2 if you are using a wireless remote the battery can be run down a lot more quickly.  I turn the camera off when not actively using mine for landscape photography on a tripod.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 04:06:27 PM »

The A7RII had a reputation for rapid battery exhaustion. This appears to have been remedied in the RIII, which I have and love. I'm not aware of battery drainage when the camera is definitively off but you might want to do some checking. Don't want to insult anyone but be sure the batteries are really fully charged. I assume you have more than one, two is a minimum for any camera; I have three, even for the RIII. It's a rare day when I go through more than one battery even with a lot of shooting. A Watson or other brand car/plug in charger is a nice inexpensive accessory too.
Good luck. Let us know when you have it sorted.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 09:40:46 AM »

I just went a week on Lanai and took 741 landscape photos, so lots of viewfinder/LCD time per shot, and most shots being several seconds for shutter speed and did not exhaust my primary battery.  I never had to recharge or dip into the spare battery.  I am sure to have Airplane Mode on and all communication protocols turned off.  Quite often I would forget to turn the camera off and not resume shooting until I got to my next location which could be as much as an hour or more.  OSS was off the entire time and the lenses in use were the 16-35GM, 24-70GM, 100-400GM and Voigtlander 12mm. So based on that and what Charles wrote here and on another forum, there is definitely something going on that is drawing power.  It would be interesting to see if that drain occurred with lens off or with just a specific lens as it might indicate a problem or some sort of power drain with a specific lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up