Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Jay Portrait  (Read 570 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Blue Jay Portrait
« on: May 31, 2018, 08:19:47 pm »

They are such elegant birds, but boy are they the neighborhood bullies.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Kevin Gallagher

Re: Blue Jay Portrait
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 10:13:14 am »

Hiya Chris,

I pretty much have to agree with your statement on the bBluejays!! In my yard they are the bullies until a squirrel comes along and then they ALL leave. I've not seen a head to head with a Bluejay V Grackle but the latter have been known to be very aggressive around the feeders as well. :)
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 12:56:20 pm »

We have bluejays from time to time, and they are indeed bullies about any smaller birds.
We also have pair of Mourning Doves that come regularly and peck at the seeds dropped on the ground by birds who visit our feeders (which the Doves haven't figured out how to use.) The Doves are always very passive and ignore and are ignored by the squirrels.

Then, just the other day, a very aggressive Mourning Dove arrived and chased away the regular visitors and the squirrels. The regulars tried to come back and were again chased away by the newcomer, who acted as if he was hopped up on Opioids.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 04:50:00 pm »

Some years ago I saw a blue jay kill a sparrow in my backyard. They were frequent visitors and harassers 'til around the time a pair of crows moved into the neighborhood. Could've been coincidence but I've rarely seen a jay on my property since.

-Dave-

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 11:33:45 am »

Nice shot Chris.
Some years ago I saw a blue jay kill a sparrow in my backyard.
We don't have blue jays here in the PNW, but have Stellar and scrub jays. When I am mowing on a tractor there are mice and voles scurrying everywhere and one day a scrub jay swooped down and grabbed one and flew off with it. Is this thread drift?

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 01:01:37 pm »

Nice shot Chris.We don't have blue jays here in the PNW, but have Stellar and scrub jays. When I am mowing on a tractor there are mice and voles scurrying everywhere and one day a scrub jay swooped down and grabbed one and flew off with it. Is this thread drift?
A  bit more drift.  This female sparrowhawk visits my back garden on occasions, I have to clear up the feathers afterwards  :( .  Shot through the glass in my backdoor hence not the best quality.
The victim was a collared dove  :(

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 01:06:04 pm »

They are such elegant birds, but boy are they the neighborhood bullies.
Very nice.  At first I thought it was a little dark but on closer examination I think you got it just right.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up