Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 2100 and Velvet fine art paper  (Read 4467 times)

aatsmon

Epson 2100 and Velvet fine art paper
« on: October 08, 2006, 01:32:25 pm »

I am using an Epson 2100 printer, have downloaded the profiles from the epson site and want to print on Velvet fine art paper. In the printer driver I have to choose the media type and these are the options I have: Plain Paper, Archival Matte, Premium Semigloss, Glossy paper - photo weight and Watercolor paper - Radiant white. There is no option for Velvet fine art.

Which option should I use, or is there a way to add an option to the media type.

I have tried to replace the "photo black" with "matte black", to set the printer to manual feed and even to phisically set the printer lever to manual feed - nothing helps.

I know that the 2200 comes pre-configured with the Velvet Fine Art paper, what should 2100 owners do?

Thanks for your help.

francois

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 06:28:43 am »

Epson Velvet paper is not listed in your driver's paper choice because initially Velvet paper was not offered on the 2100 printer. I know people who hacked a 2200 driver to make it work with a 2100 but I can't find the modified driver anymore and I don't have the time to perform such a thing.

You best bet is to choose the closest paper choice. I can't really help you with this as I have only little experience with Velvet papers but you can read Michael's review here. He suggested to use Matte Black inks. I guess you must choose Archival Matte along with Matte inks...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 06:29:21 am by francois »
Francois

pflower

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 03:44:43 pm »

I'm not convinced that media profiles on the 2100 should necessarily be taken at face value.  Find a good greyscale file and try printing it out on strips of your chosen paper at all the different media settings (i.e. the available settings - if you are using matte black then you will be limited to those media types Epson considers should be used with that ink).  Print it out at both 1440 and 2880 at the different settings and compare the results. You will find the one setting that gives you the greatest separation at the shadow end and the greatest length at the highlight end.  use that.

I am not sure what the rest of your post refers to.  On the 2100 under Mac OSX there is a problem in changing cartridges.  You have to delete the printer from the Printer Setup Utility and then re-install it so that it recognises the change of cartridge - has that anything to do with what you are asking?

Philip

francois

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 03:18:43 am »

Anyway, the best thing to do is to have custom printer profiles. They are not expensive and many companies or individuals are offering this service.
Francois

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 03:31:49 am »

Anyway, the best thing to do is to have custom printer profiles. They are not expensive and many companies or individuals are offering this service.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79762\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You still have to pick a media setting (before printing the profiling target). I'd suggest following Philip's suggestion of printing a grey strip or even better download Ethan's evaluation image from drycreekphoto.com.

- DL

francois

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 12:25:43 am »

You still have to pick a media setting (before printing the profiling target). I'd suggest following Philip's suggestion of printing a grey strip or even better download Ethan's evaluation image from drycreekphoto.com.

- DL
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79763\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You're right, of course. Custom profiling will be "next" step - if Epson profiles are not giving aatsmon full satisfaction.  I understand that media choice controls the amount of ink layed on the paper.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 12:27:30 am by francois »
Francois

aatsmon

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 03:20:57 pm »

Hi Everyone and thanks for your help.

I will take the advice and print samples at all paper types/resolution options and see what works best.  This will take a while as I still have to get the papers shipped to me.

Also,  I tried to install the USA printer driver, the one for the 2200.  Unexpectedly this worked well on my 2100, so now I can even print with the Velvet fine art option.  The only drawback is that the status monitor 3 applicaions (installed seperatly) does not recognize the 2100 and thus does not work.  

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up