Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Find All Images That Have Been Printed?  (Read 2453 times)

John Hollenberg

Find All Images That Have Been Printed?
« on: May 28, 2018, 11:58:47 am »

Is there a way to find all images in Lightroom that have been printed?  No problem for images that were printed using a proof, I have a smart collection for that.  I want to find images printed before proofs arrived (or perhaps before I knew about them).  Haven't been able to find a way so far.

Thoughts?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Find All Images That Have Been Printed?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 12:29:31 pm »

No, no way. And yes, it would be good to have.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 12:32:01 pm »

It would be great if Adobe would allow us to create a collection (not a smart collection) of images that have a particular history state.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 12:49:58 pm »

No, no way. And yes, it would be good to have.

I imagine one could add a keyword "print" to each photo that's been printed and find them by searching for "print"?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

John Caldwell

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 12:52:28 pm »

I imagine one could add a keyword "print" to each photo that's been printed and find them by searching for "print"?

The idea is to be able to Search for the word Print in the History States, not in keyword lists. I agree that this would be of great value, and none other than John Beardsworth told me some years ago the the LR program architecture does not allow for such searches - but John agreed then that it should.

John Caldwell
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:56:10 pm by John Caldwell »

Rand47

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 01:40:37 pm »

Mark,

Well, Duh!  Thanks!!!!  Great idea.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 06:24:09 pm »

The idea is to be able to Search for the word Print in the History States, not in keyword lists. I agree that this would be of great value, and none other than John Beardsworth told me some years ago the the LR program architecture does not allow for such searches - but John agreed then that it should.

John Caldwell

Mr. Hollenberg wants to find the photos that were printed. Until Adobe makes it possible to search the history list for that, which I agree would be easiest and optimal, what I proposed is a workaround.

John Caldwell

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 06:26:31 pm »

Mr. Hollenberg wants to find the photos that were printed. Until Adobe makes it possible to search the history list for that, which I agree would be easiest and optimal, what I proposed is a workaround.

Yes, of course.

saiguy

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 07:06:14 am »

Use a color label.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 09:35:02 am »

Use a color label.

True. In fact I use colour labels and starts for tracking the status of my photos in Lr. One star means it's a pick for future editing. Yellow is for edited photos not yet printed, and green is for printed. It's simple and effective at staying on top of many photos in various stages of evolution.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 09:51:59 am »

I don't need to do that going forward as I always use Proofs to do printing now and have a Smart Collection with "Is Proof".  I don't want to go back and try to figure out all the images I printed before having proofs.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 09:54:02 am »

I don't need to do that going forward as I always use Proofs to do printing now and have a Smart Collection with "Is Proof".  I don't want to go back and try to figure out all the images I printed before having proofs.

I agree John - could be a huge time-consuming undertaking with little payback. My suggested workaround would be for "going forward", but you found another.

pflower

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 12:17:45 pm »

The lack of any way of searching for printed photos in LR is a major omission in my view.  I am reduced to making sure that I add a keyword to each image that I print - such as Printed A4, Printed A3+, Printed A2 and so on.  It is easy to forget if one is in a hurry.  Also LR's search engine is a bit flaky and sometimes creating smart collections of photos that do not have the relevant "Printed" keyword doesn't always produce the result one expects.

I haven't upgraded to the latest version of LR Classic, so what exactly is  the "Proof" that has been referred to and how does it work?

BAB

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 03:53:22 pm »

Recently a young man wrote the code to search the entire global internet in 2.5 hours, it previously took 20 days. Since his work began he was hired by the CIA and then he started his own firm which was initially seeded by Google. I'm sure any day now we will be able to search images globally residing on any cloud storage.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 10:11:01 pm »

I'm still looking for my glasses. 

TommyWeir

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 01:39:41 am »

I color tag each photograph I print with a yellow color tag in Capture One.   I have smart collections which look for it...  not much use for earlier prints however.

hogloff

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 11:27:05 am »

Yes, it would be a nice feature to have, but the bottom line is there are multiple ways to accomplish this and if it's important to you, you can do it. It's not like this cannot be done today or even yesterday in LR. I use a combination of keywords, colours and ratings to organize my library and using these features makes organization very simple and powerful in LR.

John Caldwell

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 08:08:09 pm »

Yes, it would be a nice feature to have, but the bottom line is there are multiple ways to accomplish this and if it's important to you, you can do it. It's not like this cannot be done today or even yesterday in LR. I use a combination of keywords, colours and ratings to organize my library and using these features makes organization very simple and powerful in LR.

While I do not wish to argue, I will disagree in saying that the broader point being discussed here to to be able to Search History States, an issue that is larger and more important than simply a history state that included the word Print. So I'll politely not agree: Using colors labels and keywords, while a workaround provided that the user remembers to add such labels, is not a substitute for searching history states.

John Caldwell
Pages: [1]   Go Up