Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer recommendations for stack-feeding thick stock?  (Read 894 times)

jrp55262

Printer recommendations for stack-feeding thick stock?
« on: May 25, 2018, 12:01:56 pm »

We do a lot of giclee printing for local artists, among other things.  A few years ago we started getting more and more requests for things like notecards.  Our regular printer is a 44-inch HP Z3200, which is not set up for small items, so we got an Epson Artisan 1430 to do the small stuff.  We've been getting card stock from Red River for the notecards.

The problem we're having is that the 1430 really doesn't like to load thick stock, and it seems to be really "stupid" about correcting for misfeeds.  We originally got it because we thought we could stack-feed notecards, but we end up having to carefully hand feed them one at a time and push on them a little to get the feed roller to "catch".  If the card slips a little and takes an extra fraction of a second to load, then the printer gets all miffed and just passes the card through flashing the "paper" light.  Red River lists the 1430 as one of their top choices for doing notecards, but can we do better from a paper-feed standpoint?  Trying to produce cards on that thing is taking too much labor and is proving uneconomical...

I.T. Supplies

Re: Printer recommendations for stack-feeding thick stock?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 03:23:39 pm »

The 1400/1430 does print great, but the thickness of the paper you stack in the feeder can very as far as how many.  It may not be the greatest with a handful of sheets and if you want a printer that works better with this option, I'd recommend the P400/P600/P800.  P400 and P600 are both 13" models, but it's the colors that are different.  P800 matches the P600 color set, but is a 17".

The best option is to make sure you "fan" the sheets apart from each other before feeding them so this may help with the feeding issue.  It sometimes works and other times it will still jam or attempt to take another sheet at the same time.  If going with a pigment printer, the feeder is slightly different, but can still do the same thing.  For a better ink usage printer, I'd recommend either the P600 or P800 as the inks are bigger (1400/1430 (470 page yield), P600 25.9ml and P800 is 80ml).

P800 has been a great model and many customers love how it functions and prints.  Not saying the 1400/1430 is a bad printer, but it depends on what you're printing and how much to say if it's a good option for your needs.

Ferp

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 07:48:16 pm »

jrp55262's problem is a common one.  It can be difficult to get a stack of card stock to feed correctly one at a time.  A number of 3880 users have it as well with card stock from a range of suppliers, RR included.  Is the P800 really that much of an improvement over the printer that it replaced?  I wouldn't be surprised if it was worse in the 1430 as that is an inexpensive model with a build quality to match. 

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 10:27:52 pm »

The 1430 is not designed for really thick paper (I have the 1400) and if the paper stock is too thick it can actually damage the printer. I tried printing RRs 96lb Pecos River Gloss which, though it does make a very pretty card, proved too thick for the 1400. I can print it on my 7800 without problem, but it has to be fed one sheet at a time.

The overall best combination that I've tried using a heavyweight high quality card stock that can be fed in a stack was the combination of Innova Art's IFA-45 with the Epson 4800. IFA-45 is a really nice slightly textured glossy paper with a off white 100% cotton base. It's not cheap but produces excellent color and being 100% cotton doesn't warp like the cheaper paper used in the Pecos River Gloss.

bobjoek

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 06:21:05 am »

You may try cleaning the paper take up feed roller on your 1430.  Heavy weight card stock, particularly matte, can leave paper dust on the feed roller.  You can get at the feed roller from the paper feed port. Just use a damp cloth to wipe the roller. Do not use alcohol or any other solvent. Worth a try.

Roscolo

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 02:53:05 pm »

We do a lot of giclee printing for local artists, among other things.  A few years ago we started getting more and more requests for things like notecards.  Our regular printer is a 44-inch HP Z3200, which is not set up for small items, so we got an Epson Artisan 1430 to do the small stuff.  We've been getting card stock from Red River for the notecards.

The problem we're having is that the 1430 really doesn't like to load thick stock, and it seems to be really "stupid" about correcting for misfeeds.  We originally got it because we thought we could stack-feed notecards, but we end up having to carefully hand feed them one at a time and push on them a little to get the feed roller to "catch".  If the card slips a little and takes an extra fraction of a second to load, then the printer gets all miffed and just passes the card through flashing the "paper" light.  Red River lists the 1430 as one of their top choices for doing notecards, but can we do better from a paper-feed standpoint?  Trying to produce cards on that thing is taking too much labor and is proving uneconomical...

Print on heavyweight paper on rolls on your z3200. Then just cut and fold to make your cards.

Pages: [1]   Go Up