Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Demonstration  (Read 590 times)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Demonstration
« on: May 22, 2018, 07:38:19 am »

I have never done any sort of press photography at all si for me this is still street even though it was a political march. I tagged along for the vibe and to have a bit of fun. It got a bit busy at times and there was a bit of push and shove but I really enjoyed it. The little girl with the red beret is my niece, the man whose back she is on is my father in law.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

GreggP

Re: Demonstration
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:21:28 am »

Well done.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 10:27:01 am »

Good stuff, Martin. But it's called photojournalism. Which is fine. We're going to see a lot of it on here.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 10:38:46 am »

Good stuff, Martin. But it's called photojournalism. Which is fine. We're going to see a lot of it on here.

OK. I can understand that But what differentiates it? If it’s  newsworthy? Who decides that? And if I just joined the march with friends and family and obviously took a camera along is that still photojournalism?

I ask because I wasn’t part of a press contingent, I wasn’t paid, the images were never published, I wasn’t commissioned. Seems a grey area to me. Unless I’m missing something.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 10:55:51 am »

Just because you weren't paid doesn't mean that what you did isn't photojournalism. The point of the pictures was to show, from your point of view, what was happening. That's photojournalism. Whether or not it was "newsworthy" would depend on whether or not a news organization wanted the pictures. And if you're with friends and family and you shoot pictures to show you were there, those are what I call tourist pictures.

It doesn't matter. What you're missing is a background in the history of photography. People get hung up on verbal definitions, but you can't define some things with words. To understand what street photography is you have to study the works of the people who defined it with their pictures. I'm not going to give a list of those people here. There are lists all over this segment of LuLa.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up