Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Curated, but a caveat: May be NSFW and objectionable to some.  (Read 5645 times)

Two23

Re: Curated, but a caveat: May be NSFW and objectionable to some.
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 04:33:34 pm »

No crap Kent? Ever been in a combat zone? Ever see human blood spilling out over things? I think a dying human is a hell of a lot sadder than a dead deer, and I can't see any value in a picture of a dead deer. I can't think of any reason for posting a picture of a dead deer. I've hunted deer and shot deer, and the result never was uplifting or even particularly interesting. It was what it was.

I travel around, see things, sometimes stop to photo it.  "Uplifting" is never a criteria for me. I'm not making "motivational" posters. ;)  Lately I've been poking around in long abandoned houses, shooting with a 4x5 and ~100 yr. old lenses.  Not a particularly uplifting subject there either, but the important thing is I'm having fun. ;D

Mumified cat in abandoned grain elevator, Cottonwood, South Dakota.
Chamonix 045n, 150mm Heliar (c.1922), FP4+

Kent in SD
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 04:42:36 pm by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Farmer

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 07:10:31 pm »

No crap Kent? Ever been in a combat zone? Ever see human blood spilling out over things? I think a dying human is a hell of a lot sadder than a dead deer, and I can't see any value in a picture of a dead deer. I can't think of any reason for posting a picture of a dead deer. I've hunted deer and shot deer, and the result never was uplifting or even particularly interesting. It was what it was.

Photos of Sydney Harbour, including the bridge and the Opera House and all of that, are mostly boring to me.  I've lived here most of my life, and I've photographed it zillions of times.  To those who haven't seen it, or not much, it's one of the most photogenic parts of the world.

One of the aims of photography, surely, is to show people things that they don't normally see.  Whether it's literally something rare or a different view.  You've seen a lot of blood, as I imagine a lot of vets do, as doctors and emergency workers do, and so on.  Most people haven't.  I've tried to resuscitate a guy who I later learned had jumped from a hotel (one I was checking into, as it happens), only to have blood dribble out of his ears as tried compressions waiting for an ambulance - it was futile.  Do I particularly want to see a photo of something like that?  Not really.  But I absolutely think there would be others who would be interested, and not for any "sick" or morbid reason necessarily.

About 10 years ago, I printed all the images for the Walkley awards (http://www.walkleys.com/) - my boss warned me they could be very, very confronting.  Many were.  I didn't like them all by any means, but they all had value and showed things often not seen or showed different views of things we thought we knew.  That's good.
Phil Brown

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 05:15:12 am »

I travel around, see things, sometimes stop to photo it.  "Uplifting" is never a criteria for me. I'm not making "motivational" posters. ;)  Lately I've been poking around in long abandoned houses, shooting with a 4x5 and ~100 yr. old lenses.  Not a particularly uplifting subject there either, but the important thing is I'm having fun. ;D

Kent in SD

Certainly makes you think again about the things one can consider to be pets! All that horror under such a soft, cuddle-worthy exterior...

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2018, 08:04:04 am »

A friend of mine purchased a farmhouse and plot of land from the heirs of a couple who had lived there for almost 70 years. In the accompanying barn was stored all the things that this couple could not throw away, neatly organized, tied, boxed and stacked. There were dozens of boxes of pencil stubs, all worn down to a uniform length of about 1 inch. There were dozens of balls of mixed twine and string. Boxes of rubber bands and others containing bottle caps. And in a couple of boxes, neatly (lovingly?) wrapped in tissue paper, were the mummified remains of cats – former family pets, perhaps? Upon their discovery, my friend abandoned the barn cleanup to her husband and a hired worker.

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 09:14:59 am »

A friend of mine purchased a farmhouse and plot of land from the heirs of a couple who had lived there for almost 70 years. In the accompanying barn was stored all the things that this couple could not throw away, neatly organized, tied, boxed and stacked. There were dozens of boxes of pencil stubs, all worn down to a uniform length of about 1 inch. There were dozens of balls of mixed twine and string. Boxes of rubber bands and others containing bottle caps. And in a couple of boxes, neatly (lovingly?) wrapped in tissue paper, were the mummified remains of cats – former family pets, perhaps? Upon their discovery, my friend abandoned the barn cleanup to her husband and a hired worker.

I've been trying to sell my apartment for about three years now; its problem is that it's too expensive for the casual, second-homer, but not expensive enough to attract the real rich, who have been dumping sterling in favour of property around and preferably over the million euro mark, since the Brexit nonsense came along to threaten fiscal security and international opinion regarding the reliability of Britain as a place in which to invest and save.

The point is this: I have boxes of straightened nails, screws; bags of wine bottle corks. I have complete sets of car spanners for a variety of standard types of bolts - who messes with a car's inners today? Who can do anything with them anymore when they are all hidden? I have a chainsaw from my days gathering branches and making logs for the sitting room stove; I have an electrical hedge trimmer that I used to use when I felt the official gardeners had been a little tardy in coming around... none of those things have been used in almost ten years, and if I eventually move rather than die first, probably never will be used by me again. I have a large box of 35mm transparency sleeves - DW Viewpacks, anyone? A Schneider loupe sits beside my aluminium stacking case, getting in the way every time I want to pull out a Nikon. My Kodak lightbox sits atop the filing cabinet serving, now and again, as a white background to Ms Coke. Old copies of French PHOTO and photography books clutter space in the cabinet on which sits the tv, as on the shelf which I expect will fall off the wall one day and take out my letter printer and computers and monitor. Oh - I also keep the defunct HP B 9180 that I hope will, miraculously, spring to life again one day. Boxes full of A3+ prints in archival sleeves... who in hell was I kidding? I even have a perfectly working studio monobloc from the 70s!

Why? Because of the unpredictability of life: all too often have I screwed up the moral fortitude to dump something, to discover, a week later, that it was exactly what I needed in order to solve a new problem.

Should Mr & Mrs Buyer come along, I would have to hire a skip and resist the temptation of jumping in beside all the junk too.

There is ever a sound reason behind hoarding. I hope!

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2018, 05:16:13 pm »

Certainly makes you think again about the things one can consider to be pets! All that horror under such a soft, cuddle-worthy exterior...

Have you ever seen the photos inside the catacombs in Sicily...WOW!!!

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 06:35:04 am »

Have you ever seen the photos inside the catacombs in Sicily...WOW!!!

Peter

Not in person, Peter, but there have been some BBC tv documentaries that have explored them superficially; one shows the/an? entrance to be inside somebody's apartment!

I'd never sleep!

Rob
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:46:21 am by Rob C »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 03:04:04 pm »

If I could obtain permission to photograph in the Capuchin Catacombs in Sicily I'd do so in a heartbeat, but I can get no such permission.

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 03:42:27 pm »

If I could obtain permission to photograph in the Capuchin Catacombs in Sicily I'd do so in a heartbeat, but I can get no such permission.

You need a gig with the Beeb!

;-)

KLaban

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 02:10:11 am »

In my previous list of SP links I neglected to include this curated but freewheeling flickr street group:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/extremestreet/pool/

The pedants would have that it's not Street but thankfully this pool avoids being desperately dull.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 07:43:06 am »

... Mummified cat in abandoned grain elevator..l

Russ, as I know you love poetry, you are certainly aware of Baudelaire’s poem “A Carcass”? One stanza is particularly illustrative of the referenced photo (or is it the other way around?):

Its legs raised in the air, like a lustful woman,
Burning and dripping with poisons,
Displayed in a shameless, nonchalant way
Its belly, swollen with gases.

Grotesque and macabre has always been a part of the arts... not that I am particularly interested in doing it myself.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 08:16:44 am »

On a snowy street. Well, OK, it's not "street", but as long as we're sharing dead things...

Rob C

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 09:04:35 am »

This was street  - well, six feet beside, on top of a rusted drains junction cover.

Death can also be a colourful pageant of motion, emotions and PSing delights. Even good ol' Annie had a trip on it - as did Avedon.

My take? OK, as long as it ain't anywhere near personal.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 09:08:05 am »

Russ, as I know you love poetry, you are certainly aware of Baudelaire’s poem “A Carcass”? One stanza is particularly illustrative of the referenced photo (or is it the other way around?):

Grotesque and macabre has always been a part of the arts... not that I am particularly interested in doing it myself.

I bet he had a happy life, poor sod!

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 09:20:35 am »

What's even more grotesque and macabre is T.S. Eliot's "The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock," because it's subtle and it sinks in instead of slapping you across the face and then falling to the floor.

Try this one of my own. It's about an evening in Vietnam: http://www.russ-lewis.com/Poetry/Poems/TheDog.html
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Two23

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2018, 09:34:40 am »

On a snowy street. Well, OK, it's not "street", but as long as we're sharing dead things...

LOL, look what I've started. ;D

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Rob C

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2018, 10:16:10 am »

What's even more grotesque and macabre is T.S. Eliot's "The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock," because it's subtle and it sinks in instead of slapping you across the face and then falling to the floor.

Try this one of my own. It's about an evening in Vietnam: http://www.russ-lewis.com/Poetry/Poems/TheDog.html

Its true. Some things never go away from memory. Perhaps confrontation is the way to turn away their pain; dull the things with repetition.

KLaban

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2018, 11:30:23 am »

Its true. Some things never go away from memory. Perhaps confrontation is the way to turn away their pain; dull the things with repetition.

My children's book of choice was Struwwelpeter: still haunts me today and perhaps explains my condition.

;-)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2018, 12:16:20 pm »

. . .and perhaps explains my condition.

Interesting choice of words.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rayyan

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2018, 07:51:48 am »

Disgust, empathy, ‘ who cares ‘.
Sympathy, ‘ not right’ , ‘ where is it happening’, sadness.
Laughter, joy, happiness.
Feeling of serenity, sexual arousal
Etc, etc.

Human emotions.

Any image that can capture these emotions, and present it to the viewer to elicit a response is a successful foto. IMO.

Not forgetting images of beautiful naked girls, of course.

But there are images that have resulted in most of humanity wanting to do something to alter that which they have witnessed in an image or images.

Sure different group of viewers might react differently to certain images. But there is a commonality in certain images that transcends borders, cultures, faiths and beliefs, color and gender.

It is those images that are the ‘ hallmark ‘ of great photographs. Whatever ‘ genre ‘ of photography one chooses to place them in.

Question is which ones are you ‘ moved ‘ by or have been affected on viewing.

It is all about human emotion in an image. All else is just fluff. My personal opinion.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up