Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Curated, but a caveat: May be NSFW and objectionable to some.  (Read 5644 times)

OmerV

• Photographs

In my previous list of SP links I neglected to include this curated but freewheeling flickr street group:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/extremestreet/pool/

Two23

Re: Curated, but a caveat: May be NSFW and objectionable to some.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 07:54:22 pm »

Not sure I'd called it "NSFW", but it certainly is "edgy."  I liked it.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 08:30:09 pm »

In my previous list of SP links I neglected to include this curated but freewheeling flickr street group:

Thanks OmerV.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:13:21 am by petermfiore »

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 05:01:38 am »

Some amazing photographs.

I think the colours are horrible and that's perhaps part of the power. I could never see myself taking any part in the events which, to me, are straight out of an inferno, with or without any Dante.

Great to look at from a distance, but to avoid in any sane reality.

Rob

Two23

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 09:12:27 am »

Some amazing photographs.

I think the colours are horrible and that's perhaps part of the power. I could never see myself taking any part in the events which, to me, are straight out of an inferno, with or without Dante.

I suppose you're aware that book is already out?  Inferno, by James Nachtwey:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nachtwey+inferno&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS788US788&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj6t9WrspnbAhUCmVkKHX7cDvcQsAQIMA&biw=1540&bih=854&dpr=1.25

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 08:08:38 pm »

Street is not a genre that I'm comfortable with, but I certainly appreciate it when it's well done. I like these very much, Peter.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 04:41:13 am »

I suppose you're aware that book is already out?  Inferno, by James Nachtwey:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nachtwey+inferno&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS788US788&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj6t9WrspnbAhUCmVkKHX7cDvcQsAQIMA&biw=1540&bih=854&dpr=1.25

Kent in SD

No, I didn't know about the book, but I guess it's a title that will attract a lot of different genres - could fit many.

Looking at the link raises a question: who would want to gaze through such a book, over and over again? If one buys a book of pictures, I would imagine that's one's intention.

Odd world, as I have dscovered.

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 08:55:35 am »

Well, it's certainly "freewheeling," even if it has little to do with street.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Two23

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 10:04:38 am »

No, I didn't know about the book, but I guess it's a title that will attract a lot of different genres - could fit many.

Looking at the link raises a question: who would want to gaze through such a book, over and over again? If one buys a book of pictures, I would imagine that's one's intention.

Odd world, as I have dscovered.

The photos are extremely compelling.  It shows a side of the world, a dark side, that few see or even know about.  I found it hard to put the book down--it's sort of like trying to not look at a train wreck!  The book still sells for $170 (used) to $320.  Don McCullum did a similar book in the 1980s--Hearts of Darkness.  I heard him talking about his work on the radio once.  He told how when photo'ing the Yugoslavic civil war he took photos of some people killed in a bomb blast.  A very upset woman began yelling at him, asking him "why?"  She turned out to be the wife of one of the dead.  While he was pondering that, he learned that she too had been killed later that day.  He said it was one of the reasons he left the field and switched to landscapes.  The cumulative effect of all he had witnessed had brought him to his breaking point.

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

RSL

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 11:51:24 am »

What, exactly, do you think they "compel?" It's pretty wild stuff, but it's reportage, photojournalism. That's all it is.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 12:35:34 pm »

The photos are extremely compelling.  It shows a side of the world, a dark side, that few see or even know about.  I found it hard to put the book down--it's sort of like trying to not look at a train wreck!  The book still sells for $170 (used) to $320.  Don McCullum did a similar book in the 1980s--Hearts of Darkness.  I heard him talking about his work on the radio once.  He told how when photo'ing the Yugoslavic civil war he took photos of some people killed in a bomb blast.  A very upset woman began yelling at him, asking him "why?"  She turned out to be the wife of one of the dead.  While he was pondering that, he learned that she too had been killed later that day.  He said it was one of the reasons he left the field and switched to landscapes.  The cumulative effect of all he had witnessed had brought him to his breaking point.

Kent in SD

There was a great BBC documentary of McCullin; I just had a look at my Favourites list, and was hoping to link it: gone! Bugger!

Thing is, any of his English landscape stuff that I have seen is also dark and bleak. I saw an exhibition of his stuff many moons ago in Glasgow, and there were some lovely, misty b/whites of Benares... Maybe dark and bleak's the way he sees Britain. After India, I can sympathise.

Ironically, to see David Bailey, I had to get my rope out, tie it in a knot around my waist and lower myself carefully over the edge of the world and find Kilmarnock! You couldn't make it up. As bad, when I got there, the prints on the wall all looked pretty tired. Must have been the trip.

Ivophoto

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 01:06:17 pm »

Tx for the tip!!!

Two23

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 09:43:55 pm »

What, exactly, do you think they "compel?" It's pretty wild stuff, but it's reportage, photojournalism. That's all it is.

Yes, PJ and not street, but there is a terrific emotional reaction to most of them.  I once posted on a nature forum a photos of a deer that had drowned in a freezing lake, and was frozen into the ice.  The ice was about half a foot thick when I found it.  Much of the body was being eaten away by scavengers, but the head and facial expression was untouched.  I got nothing but negative reaction to the photo, and tons of it!  Someone then made the point that the photo had great impact to generate that many views and negativity.  It was affecting the viewers to a great extent.   Exactly.  My point while all of them were posting pretty "Bambi" photos, I posted one that showed nature isn't confined to human constructs of beauty.  It is what it is........

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 04:16:10 am »

Yes, PJ and not street, but there is a terrific emotional reaction to most of them.  I once posted on a nature forum a photos of a deer that had drowned in a freezing lake, and was frozen into the ice.  The ice was about half a foot thick when I found it.  Much of the body was being eaten away by scavengers, but the head and facial expression was untouched.  I got nothing but negative reaction to the photo, and tons of it!  Someone then made the point that the photo had great impact to generate that many views and negativity.  It was affecting the viewers to a great extent.   Exactly. My point while all of them were posting pretty "Bambi" photos, I posted one that showed nature isn't confined to human constructs of beauty.  It is what it is........

Kent in SD

Then there is the close-up of the banana skin on which one slipped. Or the dog-message, stepping onto which ruined the morning's search for beautiful images of old torn posters...

But would one photograph either skin or poop? To which brief list some would add old, torn posters.

RSL

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 08:22:29 am »

Someone then made the point that the photo had great impact to generate that many views. . .
Kent in SD

If you want great impact and many, many views, post a picture of three naked young women facing the camera.

If the reaction of the audience is disgust, "many views" doesn't really get the job done.

Two23

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 09:07:48 am »

If you want great impact and many, many views, post a picture of three naked young women facing the camera.

If the reaction of the audience is disgust, "many views" doesn't really get the job done.

It was more than just views.  They couldn't stop talking about it for a week.  I think it showed a fundamental difference between the other, mostly urban photographers, and me, who spent afternoons after school out in the woods.  The shot was not bland--it had impact at a gut level.

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 10:19:55 am »

It was more than just views.  They couldn't stop talking about it for a week.  I think it showed a fundamental difference between the other, mostly urban photographers, and me, who spent afternoons after school out in the woods.  The shot was not bland--it had impact at a gut level.

Kent in SD

I have become totaly lost, dazed and confused with this new "Street" section, where one sub-thing runs straight into the other sub-things causing chaos.

Of which photo do we speak, Kent?

RSL

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 10:46:17 am »

The shot was not bland--it had impact at a gut level.

Sounds as if the "impact" was disgust.

Two23

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 01:42:33 pm »

Sounds as if the "impact" was disgust.

For some probably.  Mostly I think the frozen deer photo upset their notion of "nature."  All the other shots posted there were of "pretty" things.  I went through a period a few years ago where I was taking a lot of photos of road kill animals during winter.  When it's really cold (below zero F) blood doesn't oxidize very quickly.  Later in winter as the snow begins to melt, the carcasses insulate the snow underneath and it doesn't melt as fast.  The result are pedestals sticking up along the road side, each with a dead animal on it.   That fascinates me, in a macabre sort of way.  Not "street" photography, but eye catching none the less.  I've moved on to abandoned farm houses since then. :)

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

RSL

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 01:59:59 pm »

When it's really cold (below zero F) blood doesn't oxidize very quickly.
Kent in SD

No crap Kent? Ever been in a combat zone? Ever see human blood spilling out over things? I think a dying human is a hell of a lot sadder than a dead deer, and I can't see any value in a picture of a dead deer. I can't think of any reason for posting a picture of a dead deer. I've hunted deer and shot deer, and the result never was uplifting or even particularly interesting. It was what it was.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up