Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Remembering Michael  (Read 3510 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Remembering Michael
« on: May 18, 2018, 09:46:10 am »

Two years ago I sat in a hospital room in Canada and watched one of my dearest if not best friends pass away, Michael Reichmann. Today I sit in another hospital room in Florida holding my mother's hand on what most likely will be her last day.  It's not easy and I am sure many have had to go through the same thing.  What matters most is memories and while sadness is a big part, it is the joy or remembering our moms, dads and especially our friends for all the good times we had that keeps them alive and with us forever.  Keeping those memories alive is so important.

On this day I ask that you remember Michael as without him this site would not be here today. I ask that you visit the Founders Page and Missing Our Friend to remember how Michael affected us all. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of Michael.  Every time I am shooting and have great light I wave to the sky and thank Michael.  And, maybe you'd enjoy remembering Michael at his best the way I always remember him with a great sense of humor and an unbelievable laugh as in Our Blooper Reel

Thank You Michael for all you did for all of us and how you helped shape and change photography.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 10:03:32 am by Chris Sanderson »
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Remembering Micahel
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:57:23 am »

All the best to you at a difficult time Kevin. I hope your Mom's passing will be peaceful.

And yes, I too miss Michael a lot. There is so much to discuss and exchange with him, as there always was; and it was so pleasant and enriching.

Mark
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Remembering Michael
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 10:11:39 am »

As a memento of Michael—especially for those of us who miss him personally, this shot of his that I will also post in the Street Showcase

Bob J

• Dyxum
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 10:31:59 am »

These are lives that seem to end all too soon; but they are lives well spent and they continue to have a positive effect on others after their passing.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 10:36:09 am »

All the best to you at a difficult time Kevin. I hope your Mom's passing will be peaceful...

The same sentiment from me, Kevin.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 10:39:03 am »

As a memento of Michael—especially for those of us who miss him personally, this shot of his that I will also post in the Street Showcase

Pardon my ignorance, Chris, but are Michael’s prints available for sale?

blaininjapan

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 11:38:28 am »

A big hug for your Mom Kevin and a hug for you!!!  I am sorry I never personally knew Michael Reichmann, my a fellow noble Canadian but Michael has touched my life through the Luminous Landscape and especially his tutorials and video tutorials.   The Luminous Landscape Video journal - Issue 8, Iceland 08 the segment on shooting waterfalls showing motion, helped me allot.   Let's chase the light Namaste, Blain

Krug

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 11:46:49 am »

Kevin, I am (almost) sorry to have laid into you about the Sony video given your touching reminder to us all today of the huge gap left by the death Michael Reichman and the mention of your own situation with your mother - indeed many of us are aware of the bittersweetness of that personal situation with so many memories mixed with the ending of a life. Very best wishes for all involved for the best and most peaceful outcome possible.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 12:28:44 pm »

And the more we age the more often we have to go through this. But of course a mom's passing is off the chart. So sorry for you at this time Kevin. I hope your mom lived half the life Michael did, that's a life well lived.
Bob
 ht

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 12:54:05 pm »

We all miss Michael very much even though most of us never met him, but yet it still feels like we all knew him so well.

Regards Kevin and I imagine most of us know exactly what you are going through right now, but just keep going and doing the best that you can, as it is all you can do.

Dave

stevesanacore

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 01:16:15 pm »

I never knew Michael personally but his influence meant so much to me in my work, I think about him often. I had a best friend who was also a photographer and worked with me weekly for decades pass away at almost the same time as Michael. The sadness eventually transforms into fond memories.

My thoughts are also with you and your mom. I've been there and it's not easy, but it's the way life is and we all have to deal with it eventually.

We don't know what we don't know.

DougJ

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 02:15:39 pm »

As for the short video linked in Kevin's opening post, I have to say that I used to think that Abbott and Costello's "who's on first" routine was the funniest thing going.  However, Kevin and Michael's "Quatro DP or DP Quatro or whatever" tops it by far.

This is a wonderful memory of Michael--and suggests why Michael and Kevin were such good friends.

I too think of Michael many a time as I cruise LuLa, and I wish equanimity for Kevin in his difficult, personal days.

Doug

hubell

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 03:42:15 pm »

And from me, as well. Kevin.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Remembering Micahel
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 04:31:19 pm »

All the best to you at a difficult time Kevin. I hope your Mom's passing will be peaceful.
I, too, share Mark's sentiment.

My own mother died very peacefully last November at age 106. The happy memories drown out the sad ones.
My Mom and Michael were two of the most important influences on my life. Of course my Dad was, too. I miss all of them.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mbkinsman

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 08:35:54 pm »

As Kevin stated so well, thanks Michael, for all you did for our photographic community. I think of Michael often and revisit the video journals frequently. Great stuff!

Kevin, I hope you and Chris revive the video journals of travels to various locations that many of us don't have the opportunity to visit, along with the current videos of other photography related topics.

Also, my thoughts are with you during this challenging time with your mom. I went through that myself at the end of 2016. Stay strong.
Mark

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 06:30:44 am »

Kevin, I wish you strenght in this difficult time.

adias

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 04:38:13 pm »

Ditto!

Luis M. Anibarro

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 05:08:41 pm »

My sincere condolences on your mom's passing, I know what exactly is that feeling, not too long ago.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 06:55:20 pm »

We all need reminders of the speed of the passage of time.....................and as others posted to use the expression I have all too many times already "been there, done that, got the T-shirt" :(

Kevin, thanks for the reminder and I just watched the blooper reel, certainly made me laugh out loud.  Laughter (or the recall of it) is a great way to remember those that have passed.

I wish you well at this troubled time and, I trust appropriately, my condolences to you and your family.
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 07:12:30 pm »

😞 + 😞
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up