Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting sheets from roll paper  (Read 1931 times)

praja343

Cutting sheets from roll paper
« on: May 16, 2018, 10:45:53 pm »

I heard so much about the Epson Kozo paper a couple of weeks ago on this forum; I was able to get my hands on a 13" by 49' roll. My problem is that I have an Epson 3880 printer - sheets only. I have a guillotine cutter and I want to cut a couple of lengths to use as  sheets instead of a roll. I have never done the roll to sheet transformation.  I am requesting  help to get good advice from the experts on this forum on getting the curl out and which sheet feeder to use and any other adjustments (e.g. platen gap, paper thickness etc.) so I don't waste too much of this precious paper. Assume limited expertise (compared to folks like Mark Segal, Wayne Fox, Andrew Rodney etc.) but a willingness to learn. Thanks in advance.

Frodo

Re: Cutting sheets from roll paper
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 05:12:35 am »

I have a P600 which accepts 13 inch rolls, but here in New Zealand, availability of good papers is limited.
I have bought some 17 and 24 inch rolls of paper I like (Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl and Epson Cold Press Natural) for (1) panoramas wider than 19 inches and, (2) frankly to save money.
However, I have found cutting the roll paper into sheets to be more hassle than its worth if the objective is simply to save money. 

Neither of these papers flatten well between MDF sheets left for a month with a 20kg weight on top.

I've made myself a de-roller somewhat like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/485915-REG/Seal_Bienfang_SEDR15024_De_Roller_Model_SEDR15024.html
This works better, but the leading edge of the paper produces an indentation on the paper about 6 inches down (the circumference of the roll), no matter how tight I roll the paper.  However, there is nothing visible in the print once mounted.

Even after using the de-roller, I struggle to get the paper to feed properly usng the sheet feeder (even the Ilford Smooth Pearl which is meant to be okay for the sheet feeder) - the intake roller usually chews up the paper.  I have much more success using the front fine art feeder.  However, I need to ensure that the leading edge has a slight curl upwards or it won't slide into the feeder.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:45:42 am »

Why not roll the entire roll reversed on another core?  Wait for some days and start cutting sheets on demand.  It will still have some curl but no issue for feeding. At some point in time you will notice the roll gets a curl memory the other way around, check the sheet after several hours though. Let's say there is a short and long memory for resp. the reversed and original winding. If that equals cut the remaining roll length to sheets.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 06:00:59 am »

Why not roll the entire roll reversed on another core?  Wait for some days and start cutting sheets on demand.  It will still have some curl but no issue for feeding. At some point in time you will notice the roll gets a curl memory the other way around, check the sheet after several hours though. Let's say there is a short and long memory for resp. the reversed and original winding. If that equals cut the remaining roll length to sheets.

It's very difficult to roll the entire 15m roll because it's difficult to align perfectly the paper roll and the empty take up roll in order to avoid end up with a paper cone :)

praja343

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 08:38:44 am »

The objective was not to save money. The paper is no longer in production and is now only available in rolls and that too very rarely.

"However, I have found cutting the roll paper into sheets to be more hassle than its worth if the objective is simply to save money.  "

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 09:49:16 am »

It's very difficult to roll the entire 15m roll because it's difficult to align perfectly the paper roll and the empty take up roll in order to avoid end up with a paper cone :)

I have done it enough times with 30m long 36" rolls, not for cutting sheets but to get rid of the curl caused by 2" cores. After a day and rolled back on 3" cores the pain was over.

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 12:03:52 pm »

I have addressed this topic several times in its various previous incarnations in this forum.  For years I have been pressing the back-side (non-printable side) of my sheets of paper, after cutting them off from the roll, with my wife's laundry iron, with easy and excellent results.  The curl is sufficiently removed and no apparent harm is done to the paper.
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

praja343

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 12:05:46 pm »

Ask Ma Google and she will provide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VataFqqN-Jo       start at minute 3 unless you want to watch a Epson 2200 print.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg89mCa2-1g
I am trying to make a version of the second method.

praja343

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 12:08:08 pm »

Jim:

Do you put the iron on warm or do you not turn the iron at all? Your method seems to be quick and non-destructive. Please let me know about the iron setting.

Thanks.

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 12:15:29 pm »

Jim:

Do you put the iron on warm or do you not turn the iron at all? Your method seems to be quick and non-destructive. Please let me know about the iron setting.

Thanks.

One would think that the lowest heat setting would be appropriate, but in fact I use the "Linen" setting, which I believe is the hottest!  Of course, I don't let the iron "linger" long over one particular segment but keep it moving at a gradual pace over the whole sheet.  By the way, my wife's iron is a steam iron, emitting steam when I use it.
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

praja343

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 06:13:30 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions now to the lab .... er I mean the laundry room.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 06:21:12 pm »

When I had a 3800 I used to buy Gold Fibre Silk by the roll and cut it.
I didn't have a guillotine cutter so I'd use masking tape to fix the end of the roll to the table and then slide a cutting mat underneath the paper and with the aid of a large set square and steel ruler cut to length with a craft knife.
After one to two days under tissue paper and a piece of ply, the paper was flat enough for the printer to accept it without head strike, except sometimes for the first and last half inch. So I'd always allow and extra inch on the ends in case.
You could try Jim's ironing method on the lead and tail edges only if you are cautious about ironing the whole sheet.
Hope that's some use.
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up