Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Aptus shooters: questions  (Read 15010 times)

william

Aptus shooters: questions
« on: October 06, 2006, 04:10:56 pm »

I'm quickly nearing a decision about a MF digital system. A s excited as I am about the Hy6, I can't really wait til April '07 to make this decision, as I have an increasing number of shoots coming up for which MF digital would be useful.  So, I'm looking at an Aptus 65 for my Contax 645.  A couple of specific questions:

(1) What exactly is the procedure for shooting tethered with the Aptus and having the images displayed on the computer to which the camera is connected (in my case, a MacBook Pro)?  I.e., I assume I set up tethered operation on the Aptus itself and would need to be running the Leaf Capture software on the MacBook?  What I would like to do is to have the files actually saved to and displayed on the MacBook as I'm shooting (actually, I would like to save the files to an external HD connected to the MacBook and displayed on the MacBook screen).  Even better, I'd like to be able to save the files in two places simultaneously: to the CF card in the Aptus AND to the MacBook/external HD -- is that possible?

(2) When shooting tethered, is it even possible to have the files saved to the CF card in the camera?  Or, since I'm shooting tethered, does that also mean that, by definition, the files must be saved to whatever computer I'm tethered to?

(3) How quickly does Leaf Capture display the file when shooting tethered?  I.e., does the image appear relatively immediately, or is there a substantial lag between shooting and displaying?

(4) Does anyone make a "locking" firewire cable of sufficient length for still being able to move around while shooting tethered?  I can see myself very easily accidentally yanking an ordinary FW cable out while shooting and therefore "crashing" the back and having to reboot.  (On the other hand, the disadvantage of a locked FW cable is that I could yank the MacBook off of whatever it's sitting on if I'm not paying attention....I'll have to think about that).  What I would really like is for the DP-67 wireless transmitter thing to actually work with the Aptus backs, but that doesn't seem to be in the immediate future.

(5) Do I have to be shooting in Leaf's compressed or uncompressed RAW format when shooting tethered or does it not matter?  The reason I ask is b/c I'd like to be able to shoot in the uncompressed RAW format so that the files are directly readable by Lightroom/Camera Raw.  (I know, I know, Leaf Capture 10 is fabulous, etc, etc., but I like to have a standardized workflow -- Lightoom-Photoshop --  as long as that workflow is giving me satisfactory results)

(6) Relatedly, the Aptus 65 product info lists several different RAW file types: (i) Leaf 16-bit HDR file (159MB); (ii) Leaf 16-bit raw HDR file (53MB); (iii) Compressed 16-bit HDR (lossless) file (31MB).  Can someone explain the difference in these formats and which is directly readable by Lightroom/Camera Raw?

Anything else I need to know about shooting with the Aptus (particularly with the Contax 645) in general and/or tethered shooting in particular?

Thanks!

James Russell

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 07:49:16 pm »

I'm quickly nearing a decision about a MF digital system. A s excited as I am about the Hy6, I can't really wait til April '07 to make this decision, as I have an increasing number of shoots coming up for which MF digital would be useful.  So, I'm looking at an Aptus 65 for my Contax 645.  A couple of specific questions:

(1) What exactly is the procedure for shooting tethered with the Aptus and having the images displayed on the computer to which the camera is connected (in my case, a MacBook Pro)?  I.e., I assume I set up tethered operation on the Aptus itself and would need to be running the Leaf Capture software on the MacBook?  What I would like to do is to have the files actually saved to and displayed on the MacBook as I'm shooting (actually, I would like to save the files to an external HD connected to the MacBook and displayed on the MacBook screen).  Even better, I'd like to be able to save the files in two places simultaneously: to the CF card in the Aptus AND to the MacBook/external HD -- is that possible?

(2) When shooting tethered, is it even possible to have the files saved to the CF card in the camera?  Or, since I'm shooting tethered, does that also mean that, by definition, the files must be saved to whatever computer I'm tethered to?

(3) How quickly does Leaf Capture display the file when shooting tethered?  I.e., does the image appear relatively immediately, or is there a substantial lag between shooting and displaying?

(4) Does anyone make a "locking" firewire cable of sufficient length for still being able to move around while shooting tethered?  I can see myself very easily accidentally yanking an ordinary FW cable out while shooting and therefore "crashing" the back and having to reboot.  (On the other hand, the disadvantage of a locked FW cable is that I could yank the MacBook off of whatever it's sitting on if I'm not paying attention....I'll have to think about that).  What I would really like is for the DP-67 wireless transmitter thing to actually work with the Aptus backs, but that doesn't seem to be in the immediate future.

(5) Do I have to be shooting in Leaf's compressed or uncompressed RAW format when shooting tethered or does it not matter?  The reason I ask is b/c I'd like to be able to shoot in the uncompressed RAW format so that the files are directly readable by Lightroom/Camera Raw.  (I know, I know, Leaf Capture 10 is fabulous, etc, etc., but I like to have a standardized workflow -- Lightoom-Photoshop --  as long as that workflow is giving me satisfactory results)

(6) Relatedly, the Aptus 65 product info lists several different RAW file types: (i) Leaf 16-bit HDR file (159MB); (ii) Leaf 16-bit raw HDR file (53MB); (iii) Compressed 16-bit HDR (lossless) file (31MB).  Can someone explain the difference in these formats and which is directly readable by Lightroom/Camera Raw?

Anything else I need to know about shooting with the Aptus (particularly with the Contax 645) in general and/or tethered shooting in particular?

Thanks!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can shoot tethered with Leaf LC-10 which is native to power pc's and the intel chipped computers or V-8 which is only native to Power PC's.

LC 10 is the latest software and works fine with tetheering but depending on computer is slow or not that fast with previews, though the previews are quite large.

LC-10 makes 1000 pixel wide jpegs on the fly for web gallery and fpo use and makes very good jpegs at that.

V-8 is my prefered software for thethering as it has low power draw, is very stable and runs fast even on G4 powerbooks.

Leaf doesn't mention V-8 that often.  I think they see it as the ugly kid with big ears that plays beautiful piano, but they don't want anyone to see it in public, which is a shame because it is really great tethering software and allows you not only to use curves and adjustments, but also allows you to place those settings in the CF card or DB and continue on with those settings un tethered.

You can shoot tethered and have a CF card in the camera, but it will ONLY write to the computer, not the card.  The reason for the card (if you want) is to put your profiles into it.

In V-8 the file comes up quickly on a powerbook, in LC10 it takes a desktop for quick preview or you wait 4 to 5 seconds a preview depending on the computer and shooting speed.

You don't need or want a locking firewire cable.  Using Leaf's L cable fits snug enough not to fall out, but if you step on it it will come out which is a good thing.

With V-8 just plug in and re connect no issues.

With the Aptus you can shoot with a 14' cable, or using a non powered firewire repeater shoot up to 29'.

Shooting tethered it only a full .mos file. not compressed which is better for back end workflow.

Compressed is only for portable shooting.

You can use Leaf's stand alone compressor to compress raw files going both directions.

Wi-fi is not available and on the older Aptus if they do introduce it is only about 10 ft. of range with the new Aptus S about double to triple that.

Shooting with a contax is a snap and has few error issues shooting tethered.  It is important to keep a fresh battery in the camera and the contacts on lens to camera clean.

Leaf files process in pscs, cs2, raw developer, lc 10, V-8 and Lightroom.

CS the fastest, ligbhtoom and lc10 the slowest and all have a slightly different look.

Raw developer probably the closest to a C-1 style of workflow, with LC 10 next.

I process 99.999% in PSCS 1 because I love the look of the file as it introduces some slight grain and is very fast.

You can tether with V-8 and using Apple's automator script have every file open up in Raw Developer, though there really is no reason for this and casue a little bit of a slowdown.

Shooting tethered in V-8 I never have a crash or issue, with LC-10 getting better but not near as good as V-8.  The only issue with V-8 is it doesn't support iso's above 200 where lc 10 will go to 400 on the A-22/17 and 800 on the A65/75.

JR
[a href=\"http://www.russellrutherfordgroup.com/bethany/]http://www.russellrutherfordgroup.com/bethany/[/url]

william

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 08:19:05 pm »

Wow - -thanks for the detailed answer!  Follow-up question: how long is the L firewire cable you mentioned that comes with the Aptus?

You can shoot tethered with Leaf LC-10 which is native to power pc's and the intel chipped computers or V-8 which is only native to Power PC's.

LC 10 is the latest software and works fine with tetheering but depending on computer is slow or not that fast with previews, though the previews are quite large.

LC-10 makes 1000 pixel wide jpegs on the fly for web gallery and fpo use and makes very good jpegs at that.

V-8 is my prefered software for thethering as it has low power draw, is very stable and runs fast even on G4 powerbooks.

Leaf doesn't mention V-8 that often.  I think they see it as the ugly kid with big ears that plays beautiful piano, but they don't want anyone to see it in public, which is a shame because it is really great tethering software and allows you not only to use curves and adjustments, but also allows you to place those settings in the CF card or DB and continue on with those settings un tethered.

You can shoot tethered and have a CF card in the camera, but it will ONLY write to the computer, not the card.  The reason for the card (if you want) is to put your profiles into it.

In V-8 the file comes up quickly on a powerbook, in LC10 it takes a desktop for quick preview or you wait 4 to 5 seconds a preview depending on the computer and shooting speed.

You don't need or want a locking firewire cable.  Using Leaf's L cable fits snug enough not to fall out, but if you step on it it will come out which is a good thing.

With V-8 just plug in and re connect no issues.

With the Aptus you can shoot with a 14' cable, or using a non powered firewire repeater shoot up to 29'.

Shooting tethered it only a full .mos file. not compressed which is better for back end workflow.

Compressed is only for portable shooting.

You can use Leaf's stand alone compressor to compress raw files going both directions.

Wi-fi is not available and on the older Aptus if they do introduce it is only about 10 ft. of range with the new Aptus S about double to triple that.

Shooting with a contax is a snap and has few error issues shooting tethered.  It is important to keep a fresh battery in the camera and the contacts on lens to camera clean.

Leaf files process in pscs, cs2, raw developer, lc 10, V-8 and Lightroom.

CS the fastest, ligbhtoom and lc10 the slowest and all have a slightly different look.

Raw developer probably the closest to a C-1 style of workflow, with LC 10 next.

I process 99.999% in PSCS 1 because I love the look of the file as it introduces some slight grain and is very fast.

You can tether with V-8 and using Apple's automator script have every file open up in Raw Developer, though there really is no reason for this and casue a little bit of a slowdown.

Shooting tethered in V-8 I never have a crash or issue, with LC-10 getting better but not near as good as V-8.  The only issue with V-8 is it doesn't support iso's above 200 where lc 10 will go to 400 on the A-22/17 and 800 on the A65/75.
JR
http://www.russellrutherfordgroup.com/bethany/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79376\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 02:51:22 am »

I'm quickly nearing a decision about a MF digital system. A s excited as I am about the Hy6, I can't really wait til April '07 to make this decision[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79345\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I stand to be corrected but is it not true that Aptus backs tie you into one system?

If you got a sinar/eylike back which have a changable mount you could use contax now and change camera system in the future if you so desired ??

It may of course be the case that these (sinar) backs dont work with the HY6 but I would find it likely that they will

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 10:28:19 am »

William,

Good thread this.
I too will soon be looking for an aptus back for my contax 645 system.

I have heard that with leaf backs and contax there are issues regarding waking up the back and the use of the b setting on the shutter..but there are workarounds.
Anyone know about these and the fixes?

Thanks,

Marc
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 12:06:36 pm »

I have heard that with leaf backs and contax there are issues regarding waking up
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79417\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am sure the Aptus works with Contax (how well I dont know) - the original poster expresses an interest in moving to the Hy6 at some point - Whether a contax aptus could do this I am less sure
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 01:28:23 pm »

I stand to be corrected but is it not true that Aptus backs tie you into one system?

You can buy adapters that will allow you to use cameras other than the system mount your back came in.
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

mkravit

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 01:51:00 pm »

You can buy adapters that will allow you to use cameras other than the system mount your back came in.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79448\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No not true, however you can buy your Aptus for the intended camera but Leaf does NOT offer you the option for buying adapters for use on other camera systems.

Leaf does have a policy that allows you to have your back changed to an alternate camera platform, depending where you are located on the planet the fee varies.

yaya

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 02:02:00 pm »

No not true, however you can buy your Aptus for the intended camera but Leaf does NOT offer you the option for buying adapters for use on other camera systems.

Leaf does have a policy that allows you to have your back changed to an alternate camera platform, depending where you are located on the planet the fee varies.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79451\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To be more specific, we make the backs in 4 different mounts, as follows:

1. Hasselblad V-series (universal): fits V-series, RZ (via a Leaf adapter), RB (via a Leaf adapter), Large format (via a Leaf Graflok or 3rd party adapters), Fuji 680 and Bronica ETRSi/ SQAi (via KG adapters).

2. Hasselblad H1: fits H1/ H2, Large format (via Leaf Graflok or 3rd party adapters) and RZ (via 3rd party)

3. Mamiya 645AFD: fits AFD/ AFDII, RZ (via Leaf adapter), RB (via Leaf adapter), large format (via Leaf Graflok or 3rd party adapters

4. Contax 645: fits Contax 645AF, large format (Graflok or 3rd party) and RZ (3rd party)

The Leaf adapters for RZ, RB and Graflok are all reasonably priced (around $550).

I hope this helps, yair
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 02:02:24 pm by yaya »

william

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 02:11:22 pm »

Thanks for all your responses.  I believe Michael is correct: it is technologically possible for Leaf to switch the mount of an Aptus, but it's not via an adapter as such -- rather, you send it back to the factory and they install the new mount.  Please don't quote me on this, but I thnk when I started exploring the Aptus a while ago, a dealer told me there would be about a $2000 fee if you wanted the mount switched down the line.  Another dealer, more recently, told me that it's unclear how Leaf will handle the Hy6 (which Leaf calls the Leaf Afi) in terms of switching mounts.  His current understanding is that the Leaf AFi camera will be a brand new mount and that none of the existing mounts (Mamiya, Contax, Hassy, whatever) would work with it directly.  He said he felt confident that Leaf would offer some sort of solution for owners of Aptus backs in other mounts who wish to use them on the AFi, but it's not clear what that solution will be or how much it will cost.

I do realize that I could buy an eMotion right now in Contax mount and that it will be useable on whatever version of the Hy6 I choose via an adapter.  For a variety of reason, however, I'm relatively sure that the Aptus 65 is the best choice for me (In case you're interested, there are a couple of reasons.  First, I cannot get anyone from Sinar to call or email me back ever; at last count, I'd sent them 2-3 emails, left 2-3 voicemails, and spoke directly to one person who said he'd get back to me, which he didn't.  That doesn't bode well for ongoing customer support after purchase, if they can't get back to a customer contemplating a purchase this large.  Second, the cost of the Aptus 65 is substantially less than that of the eMotion 75, and probably still less than the eMotion 22.  The price you pay for that is the reduced frame chip, but that won't matter for my kind of shooting.  Third, the Aptus 65 goes to ISO 800 while the eMotion is ISO 400 max.  Not a huge deal, just another factor.)

I do really wish that Leaf had an adapter system similar to the Sinar backs, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Also, if I'm not mistaken, each Sinar adapter is somewhere in the $1000-2000 range.  I am hoping that swapping the mount for an Aptus to a Hy6/Leaf AFi will be somewhat similarly priced, but I haven't been able to get confirmation of that from Leaf.

Now: what about the issue of waking up the system after the back/camera goes to sleep?  The Contax runs thru batteries liek crazy, so it's probably a good thing that it sleeps relatively quickly.  Not a good thing, however, if it causes the back to crash when the camera goes to sleep.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79451\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

william

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 02:26:14 pm »

Another question: can someone point me to where any sample images are on the Leaf website that are available for download to evaluate?  I recall seeing some a long time ago, but can't find them now.

Yair, thanks for joining the discussion.  Any thoughts on m original questions at the beginning of this thread regarding tethered shooting?

Thanks for all your responses.  I believe Michael is correct: it is technologically possible for Leaf to switch the mount of an Aptus, but it's not via an adapter as such -- rather, you send it back to the factory and they install the new mount.  Please don't quote me on this, but I thnk when I started exploring the Aptus a while ago, a dealer told me there would be about a $2000 fee if you wanted the mount switched down the line.  Another dealer, more recently, told me that it's unclear how Leaf will handle the Hy6 (which Leaf calls the Leaf Afi) in terms of switching mounts.  His current understanding is that the Leaf AFi camera will be a brand new mount and that none of the existing mounts (Mamiya, Contax, Hassy, whatever) would work with it directly.  He said he felt confident that Leaf would offer some sort of solution for owners of Aptus backs in other mounts who wish to use them on the AFi, but it's not clear what that solution will be or how much it will cost.

I do realize that I could buy an eMotion right now in Contax mount and that it will be useable on whatever version of the Hy6 I choose via an adapter.  For a variety of reason, however, I'm relatively sure that the Aptus 65 is the best choice for me (In case you're interested, there are a couple of reasons.  First, I cannot get anyone from Sinar to call or email me back ever; at last count, I'd sent them 2-3 emails, left 2-3 voicemails, and spoke directly to one person who said he'd get back to me, which he didn't.  That doesn't bode well for ongoing customer support after purchase, if they can't get back to a customer contemplating a purchase this large.  Second, the cost of the Aptus 65 is substantially less than that of the eMotion 75, and probably still less than the eMotion 22.  The price you pay for that is the reduced frame chip, but that won't matter for my kind of shooting.  Third, the Aptus 65 goes to ISO 800 while the eMotion is ISO 400 max.  Not a huge deal, just another factor.)
I do really wish that Leaf had an adapter system similar to the Sinar backs, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Also, if I'm not mistaken, each Sinar adapter is somewhere in the $1000-2000 range.  I am hoping that swapping the mount for an Aptus to a Hy6/Leaf AFi will be somewhat similarly priced, but I haven't been able to get confirmation of that from Leaf.

Now: what about the issue of waking up the system after the back/camera goes to sleep?  The Contax runs thru batteries liek crazy, so it's probably a good thing that it sleeps relatively quickly.  Not a good thing, however, if it causes the back to crash when the camera goes to sleep.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79453\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 02:29:03 pm »

Sorry about that - I was under the impression there were adapters but they were expensive. I had no clue the "adapting" involved sending your back to Leaf to have the mount changed.

You learn something new every day!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 04:44:05 pm by bcroslin »
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

yaya

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 03:08:36 pm »

Another question: can someone point me to where any sample images are on the Leaf website that are available for download to evaluate?  I recall seeing some a long time ago, but can't find them now.

Yair, thanks for joining the discussion.  Any thoughts on m original questions at the beginning of this thread regarding tethered shooting?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My pleasure  

[a href=\"http://www.leaf-photography.com/pages/raw_images.aspx]Leaf RAW files[/url]

You can also download a copy of LeafCapture 10 and LeafCapture V8. This is a free download and is unlimited.
Both versions include a user guide (HTML/ PDF) that can be accessed via the Help menu

I think James has covered most of your queries, so I will add just a few more:

For tethering to a MacBook Pro, if you use LeafCapture 10. All you need is to launch the software and plug the back in,using the supplied 4.5M FW cable (or any other cable at the same length that fits into the back -  it is a tight fit).
There are already default folders set for capture and process, which you can obviously manually place in another location on your HD (local or remote/ external).
On the first time the software will guide you to choose the type of camera and basic settings such as ISO. You can then start shooting immediately.
In thethered mode that back can only be controlled from the computer. On some configurations it'll also allow you to release the shutter remotely (H'Blad ELX/ELD/ CW/ RZ and Fujy 680).

Please note that the 17" MBP suffers from low Voltage coming through the FW port while running on battery, which makes it dofficult to make the connection to digital backs and a few other FW devices back. Apple seem to be aware of this as their new 24" iMac offers a higher Voltage...

Leaf Capture V8 is the older version, which is still currently supported buy us. However it is not universal binary and therefore it's processing is relatively slow on Intel Macs,having to use Rosetta emulation.
V8 is a bit less "automatic" and requires a few more steps for the initial setup, but as James suggested, it is "lighter" in terms of horsepower and RAM consumption.
V8 is comprised of 3 separate "modules": Contact Sheet for viewing, Batch Processor and Leaf Capture.
The nice thing about this concept, is that the Batch Processor can be set up remotely, on a server or another Mac, and via a hot folder it can process files as they come in, without putting extra load on the capture machine.
This concept will be incorporated into the newer LeafCapture 10 in the future.

The Leaf raw file is compatible with several other converters, such as Raw Developer, Adobe Camera Raw (CS or CS2) and Adobe Lightroom. The latest Beta 4 version of Ligtroom has a hot folder feature that enables a tethered shooting (you still need leafCapture running to connect to the back.

This is all very basic information, but I recommend that you contact your Local dealer and ask for a complete demonstration, so you can have a deeper understanding of the workflow.

I hope this helps, yair
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 03:12:57 pm by yaya »

william

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 03:15:20 pm »

Thanks!  It's good to know that Lightroom Beta 4 supports tethered shooting; I didn't know that.

To avoid making this discussion too specific to my immediate needs, could you shoot me an email at wmc@case.edu?  I have a couple more specific questions for you.

My pleasure  

Leaf RAW files

You can also download a copy of LeafCapture 10 and LeafCapture V8. This is a free download and is unlimited.
Both versions include a user guide (HTML/ PDF) that can be accessed via the Help menu

I think James has covered most of your queries, so I will add just a few more:

For tethering to a MacBook Pro, if you use LeafCapture 10. All you need is to launch the software and plug the back in,using the supplied 4.5M FW cable (or any other cable at the same length that fits into the back -  it is a tight fit).
There are already default folders set for capture and process, which you can obviously manually place in another location on your HD (local or remote/ external).
On the first time the software will guide you to choose the type of camera and basic settings such as ISO. You can then start shooting immediately.
In thethered mode that back can only be controlled from the computer. On some configurations it'll also allow you to release the shutter remotely (H'Blad ELX/ELD/ CW/ RZ and Fujy 680).

Please note that the 17" MBP suffers from low Voltage coming through the FW port while running on battery, which makes it dofficult to make the connection to digital backs and a few other FW devices back. Apple seem to be aware of this as their new 24" iMac offers a higher Voltage...

Leaf Capture V8 is the older version, which is still currently supported buy us. However it is not universal binary and therefore it's processing is relatively slow on Intel Macs,having to use Rosetta emulation.
V8 is a bit less "automatic" and requires a few more steps for the initial setup, but as James suggested, it is "lighter" in terms of horsepower and RAM consumption.
V8 is comprised of 3 separate "modules": Contact Sheet for viewing, Batch Processor and Leaf Capture.
The nice thing about this concept, is that the Batch Processor can be set up remotely, on a server or another Mac, and via a hot folder it can process files as they come in, without putting extra load on the capture machine.
This concept will be incorporated into the newer LeafCapture 10 in the future.

The Leaf raw file is compatible with several other converters, such as Raw Developer, Adobe Camera Raw (CS or CS2) and Adobe Lightroom. The latest Beta 4 version of Ligtroom has a hot folder feature that enables a tethered shooting (you still need leafCapture running to connect to the back.

This is all very basic information, but I recommend that you contact your Local dealer and ask for a complete demonstration, so you can have a deeper understanding of the workflow.

I hope this helps, yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79457\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

James Russell

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 04:01:23 pm »

Sorry about that - I was under the impression there were adapters but they were expensive. I had not clue the "adapting" involved sending your back to Leaf to have the mount changed.

You learn something new every day!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bob,

That's not exactly the case as there are digital back adpateres by eco digital that will let you put a Contax mount Aptus on an RZ, or an H-1 to an RZ.  They're expensive, but I've been told work well, though with the Contax there is little reason to go to another camera unless high shutter sync is needed, as since it has a focal plane shutter it will accept dozens of lenses some  with adpaters.

As far as the sleep time with the Contax the camera does go to sleep after 30 seconds or so, (I've never really timed it), but the Aptus back stays on, so all it takes is a touch of the shutter and the camera is instantly ready to go, with no wait.

You get use to this very quickly and it saves on the battery consumption of the Contax which can be quite high depending on your shooting style and focus mode.

On the other question regarding the Leaf cable it's 14' but I also use a GoldX 15' firewive active extension cable that gives me 29' feet without adding addtional power.

As Yair mentions the Intel powerbooks have an issue with the firewire port voltage.  Phase gets by this by using a battery to power the back, but since the leaf cable goes into where the battery would normally rest you must use a powered firewire cable on intel books.

This is one of the reasons I use 17" G4 powerbooks and V-8.  I'm losing nothing as the capture speed is very fast, 1.2 or 1.3 seconds for the A-22 and the preview is also very fast in V-8.

Once apple gets a powerbook solution that doesn't require additional voltage for the firewire, and Leaf gets LC10 into a more stable and faster piece of software I will then make the switch.

Until then my workflow is seamless and very fast.

Tethered I shoot in V-8 to 17" G4 powerbooks and make tone, color and curve settings for each session.  I shoot each session to a seperate folder.

For any renaming or sorting I use I-view as you can manually move the files and rename in an instance and for processing at 200 iso and below I use pscs-1.

I use 1 instead of cs2 because it doesn't require added activation if a computer goes down and I travel with two cloned and identical 17" G4 powerbooks.

Using Dr. Brown's batch script in CS1 I can batch process a full rez 16 bit tiff and a large jpeg at 17 seconds a file on the powerbook, so my workflow stays within one machine and one style.

For non tethered I shoot to cards, setting the white balance from the Aptus back which has a full operating system.

I usually shot non compressed, but the A-22 is pretty fast so that's not been an issue.  If speed is required shooting compressed ups the frame rate and speed about 30%.

My Contax has the verticle grip which is the best verticle grip made, an rrs l plate and a rrs ballhead.

My system is stable, fast, cost effective.  My refurbished powerbooks are almost half the price of any comparable intel book, the A-22 shoots a great file and as I've stated before with 9 lenses, two bodies and all the adapters my Contax costs less than a 1ds Mark 2.

For anybody that wants to use any of the mfdb's you MUST test them in your conditions and remember there is a learning curve to get the most out of any file.

I personally think the Leaf file is the most filmlike, but that is probably because I am so use to my system.

If you are coming from a dslr, it will take a while to get use to any medium format digital or film for that matter because it's just slower and larger, always has been, but for me it actually improves my photography to slow it up, rather than just keep shooting thousands of files trying to fix a problem that should be handled in front of the camera.

JR
[a href=\"http://www.russellrutherfordgroup.com/bethany/]http://www.russellrutherfordgroup.com/bethany/[/url]

RobertJ

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 04:40:42 pm »

To be more specific, we make the backs in 4 different mounts, as follows:
3. Mamiya 645AFD: fits AFD/ AFDII, RZ (via Leaf adapter), RB (via Leaf adapter), large format (via Leaf Graflok or 3rd party adapters

The Leaf adapters for RZ, RB and Graflok are all reasonably priced (around $550).

Yair, can you clarify if the Mamiya 645AFd mount back works with the RZ Pro IID with Leaf adapter, or did you mean the regular RZ Pro II?  

The two RZ cameras, the II and IID, have different mounts, if I'm not mistaken.

If I wanted a Mamiya 645AFd mount back, and wanted to use it with an RZ and Leaf adapter, would I need the RZ Pro II, or RZ Pro IID, or can both work?

yaya

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 04:50:08 pm »

Yair, can you clarify if the Mamiya 645AFd mount back works with the RZ Pro IID with Leaf adapter, or did you mean the regular RZ Pro II? 

The two RZ cameras, the II and IID, have different mounts, if I'm not mistaken.

If I wanted a Mamiya 645AFd mount back, and wanted to use it with an RZ and Leaf adapter, would I need the RZ Pro II, or RZ Pro IID, or can both work?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79466\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With the Leaf adapter, both the Pro II and the Pro IId work in exactly the same way. The adapter also allows the back to rotate like a film back.

See the attached installation guide for further info.

Yair

[attachment=1020:attachment]

RobertJ

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 07:19:58 pm »

Awesome, thanks Yair.

vgogolak

• http://
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 07:26:36 pm »

Saw this on FM.

Is Aptus a foregone decision?

Otherwise the key question is whether the files and your use would better be served by one of the Phase backs, esp with the plus models and live video.

Disclosure: Contax/ P25 owner going to P45+

:-)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 07:27:14 pm by vgogolak »

william

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2006, 09:58:01 pm »

No, I am by no means locked into going with the Aptus.  But, as I understand it, the P30+ is about $20,000.  I've been quoted a price of about $16,000 for an Aptus 65 (NOT the new Aptus 65s).  Assuming that I qualify for the Mamiya on Campus educational pricing for the Aptus (I'm a university professor, but I'm not sure of the exact terms and conditions for educational pricing), the current educational price for an Aptus 65 is about $13,500.  Price obviously is not my sole consideration, but we're talking a potential price difference of $4000-$6500.  That's a lot of money, even on a purchase this large.  (And yes, I understand that the Aptus 65s would be a more relevant comparator to the P30+).

Even putting aside price, I am somewhat persuaded by users' reports regarding the particular "look" of Aptus files versus Phase files.  That said, the ISO 1600 and unlimited buffer on the P30+ are certainly attractive, but I'm not sure if they're $6000 more attractive than the Aptus 65.  And if the P series screens have really been substantially improved, that would make them more interesting to me (I'd have to see one in person to believe it, though, because the screen ont he original P series was simply unacceptable to me).  I also don't know the availability of the P30+ -- is this a product that's shipping NOW or something that's on a "roadmap" for release 12 months for now?

(By the way, the live video function, while interesting, isn't really something that'd be determinative for me).

I would love to hear others' thoughts on the Aptus 65 v. the P30+.

Saw this on FM.

Is Aptus a foregone decision?

Otherwise the key question is whether the files and your use would better be served by one of the Phase backs, esp with the plus models and live video.

Disclosure: Contax/ P25 owner going to P45+

:-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79493\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 09:59:43 pm by william »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up