Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smart Objects in PS  (Read 1275 times)

hea7

Smart Objects in PS
« on: May 16, 2018, 10:58:04 am »

When I open an image in PS as a smart object and use a smart filter or 3rd party plugin and then click on the filter to make an adjustment PS starts opening the filter and then quits. I get no error message.

When I reopen the image it says “recovered”.

How can I prevent this?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Smart Objects in PS
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 11:26:46 am »

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 09:07:50 pm »

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences.

No, do NOT trash the file. Navigate to your prefs file and drag it onto your desktop. Then launch Photoshop and it will create a new prefs file. If that solves your problem, THEN trash the old prefs file. If not. restore those prefs and seek other solutions. It is silly to throw out all your settings before you diagnose the problem.

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 11:07:35 am »

No, do NOT trash the file. Navigate to your prefs file and drag it onto your desktop. Then launch Photoshop and it will create a new prefs file. If that solves your problem, THEN trash the old prefs file. If not. restore those prefs and seek other solutions. It is silly to throw out all your settings before you diagnose the problem.

I agree with your suggestion of dragging to the desktop instead of the trash.  However, one thing to keep in mind is that Andrew did not suggest trashing the pref file. in other words, emptying the trash!  Anytime I want to check a prefs file for any reason I will put the old one in the trash so that there is no possibility of the app picking it up again.  Once I know the app is working as expected I will then empty the trash.  And yes, I have seen the scenario I just mentioned play out, as impossible as it may seem.  I would suggest that if you don't want to delegate a possibly corrupt prefs file to the trash while testing a "new" one, create a new folder on the desktop and put the file in it.  Then the app will not find it.

Gary   
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

hea7

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 06:03:26 pm »

These are my Settings folders. Can I delete the old ones. Not sure which one is PS CC unless its 2018.

hea7

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 06:11:40 pm »

I put the 2018 settings in a folder on the desktop. Opened an image in PS and applied two filters. PS crashed when I tried to edit one of the filters. Preferences>Settings is not the issue.

hea7

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 06:15:28 pm »

Also, put PS CC in folder and PS crashed.

hea7

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 06:52:19 pm »

I believe the issue is resolved by updating the 3rd party plug-in for 10.13.
Pages: [1]   Go Up