Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Published - Why So Much Sony Talk  (Read 5280 times)

stevesanacore

Re: Just Published - Why So Much Sony Talk
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2018, 09:19:50 pm »

I've been enjoying Lula for many years. In my opinion it is the most well balanced site I have found and fits me well. I love tech and I love photography. Kevin is not Michael, the world doesn't work that way. I feel Kevin's respect for Michael, and I think he's doing a fabulous job in his videos, interviews etc. I think what people miss is Michael's lack of patience for technical shortcomings in new gear. He told is like it is and didn't hold back. Kevin is more diplomatic than that that is fine too. He gets great interviews with industry people that I really love hearing from. Sure some seem more like sales videos, but others are more well rounded. I really feel the excitement with Sony is justified at the moment, but I think there are many who don't like to hear it. I also loved his series on Leica. I also understand that he does need to attract a larger demographic and needs to present material that may bring a bigger audience.

Keep it up Kevin, I'm loving your videos, and look forward to more with fine art photographers and print making too. That should keep all of us happy!

Sorry to hear about your mom in hospice. Been there done that and it's never easy.
We don't know what we don't know.

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 07:25:36 am »

Something I find a little strange in your post is that you talk Sony like a sort of blockbusting phenomenon based on "awesome marketing machine" and more suitable at best for the youtuber crowd and posers in opposition to real photographers...I know I know, you did not pronounced directly certain words here but the philosophy of your post seems to go in such direction. I copy-paste:

Well that's not really what I meant to say, but certainly I could have expressed it better.  I'm not taking aim at Sony. I'm not interested in Sony.  Note, I use (and pay for) Olympus digital cameras, but I'm not interested in Olympus either, beyond the fact that the company produces some stuff which more or less fits my needs.  But you want find much about Olympus on my web site.

I don't have any problem with somebody who takes a different view, I certainly don't consider myself superior to people who are enthusiastic about cameras.  I've been there - to some extent - and moved on.  What my point was, which amazingly I think Kevin managed to find, despite my hiding it so well, is that there are a million gear sites, and only one Lula. I wouldn't want Lula to become the millionth-and-one gear site.  And neither, it seems, does Kevin.

Actually I think I, and others, need to give Kevin time to find his way. He's not Michael, but Michael wasn't Kevin either.  Kevin has introduced some changes here that probably would not have occurred to Michael, and that evolution is only just starting.
--
David Mantripp

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2018, 07:53:05 am »

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for sharing. I do agree that a lot of innovation is coming from Sony. The DSLR systems are sort of more mature, so there may be less innovation.

Best regards
Erik

I thought I would take a few minutes and address why there seems to be a lot of Sony talk and content on the site right now.  One reason is I am back from a Sony Kando event and I did a lot of videos with some very interesting people.  In addition, there are a lot of Sony cameras to talk about right now.  In any case, check out the article and video HERE
Erik Kaffehr

stevesanacore

Re: Kevin has a point...
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2018, 08:52:14 am »

Hi,

I think that Kevin has a point. Mirrorless systems use the actual sensor output for viewing and focusing. It is the simplest and most accurate solution.

The shutter shock issue was a major one with the A7r, a camera that did not have an electronic first shutter curtain. But the A7r was something like five years ago. I never bought the A7r, mostly because I felt that the sensor was old, with no EFCS and no PDAF.

Shutter shock is in no way unique to the A7r, any mechanical shutter induces some amount of shutter shock. It was very prominent for say Mamiya 645 or Pentax 67.

On the other hand, I think that Sony lenses are overpriced and I actually think they are not reliably high performers. I can not really say about that, as I mostly use Canon or Sigma lenses with my A7rII. I have only two Sony lenses, the 90/2.8 macro and the 28-70 kit lens. I am pretty sure my 90/2.8 has a tilted focal plane.

The A7rII is pretty optimal for me. I can use it with Canon mount lenses. In my work I need good lenses but no fast lenses. So I feel the Canon/Sony combo works well me. But, I am considering to buy a Canon body for things like shooting birds in flight.

Best regards
Erik

You bring up an issue that Sony has to deal with. They have addressed many issues like shutter shock, battery life, fast AF etc. but the largest glaring issue in my opinion is their lens quality control. I am on my third Sony body, (A7R3), and still use all three.  But am very slow to add lenses. Like you said, I'm very happy with many of my Canon lenses, and still have my 35mm Leica R, (will Sony or Zeiss ever make a 35 f2 AF?). I'd love to buy all Sony lenses, but their reputation is very mixed. That is a question I would have certainly brought up with the Sony reps. Maybe Kevin did off camera as I can see it being a very embarrassing question and would have turned a pleasant conversation into a confrontational one. If he did, I'd love to hear their response. It's a serious problem and I don't see anyone from Sony addressing or even acknowledging that issue. I'm talking here about the 35 1.4, and 70-200 2.8 which are work horse lenses for pros. Priced higher than their Canon counterparts, they should be stellar in quality and consistency. Although, if the quality was consistent and outstanding, I don't think they would be considered overpriced. I do have the 24-105, 55 1.8, 28 f2 and just ordered the 12-24G. They are excellent. As far as mirrorless, to me the advantages are outstanding for my needs. I also have to agree with Kevin that the A9 is in a class by itself right now and I can understand his enthusiasm for the A9 100-400 combo!
We don't know what we don't know.

adias

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2018, 04:53:14 pm »

Fair warning: I have no patience to read through the thread, so I do not know if someone has posted the same type of comment...

Mirrorless, SLR, view camera? These are just tools. I like one, you like the other. I do have SLRs and mirrorless. I do prefer SLR for its optical viewfinder and other aspects. Others prefer mirrorless for their compactness, but my experience is that that attribute washes away as larger lenses are added.

Re the article - "Why so much Sony Talk": If you have to post it and justify it...

fredjeang2

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2018, 05:12:25 pm »

Well that's not really what I meant to say, but certainly I could have expressed it better.  I'm not taking aim at Sony. I'm not interested in Sony.  Note, I use (and pay for) Olympus digital cameras, but I'm not interested in Olympus either, beyond the fact that the company produces some stuff which more or less fits my needs.  But you want find much about Olympus on my web site.

I don't have any problem with somebody who takes a different view, I certainly don't consider myself superior to people who are enthusiastic about cameras.  I've been there - to some extent - and moved on.  What my point was, which amazingly I think Kevin managed to find, despite my hiding it so well, is that there are a million gear sites, and only one Lula. I wouldn't want Lula to become the millionth-and-one gear site.  And neither, it seems, does Kevin.

Actually I think I, and others, need to give Kevin time to find his way. He's not Michael, but Michael wasn't Kevin either.  Kevin has introduced some changes here that probably would not have occurred to Michael, and that evolution is only just starting.
I love what both Olympus and Panasonic are doing with m43 those latest years. They are on the ones that are inovating
Olympus has a long tradition of lens quality. I had the opportunity to test the Pana G9 and was absolutly amazed
By the quality of the overall package as a photographic tool. The IS is truy a game changer for the hybrid shooter.
It allows to produce still/motion images in conditions that would be impossible otherwise, therefore is part of the creative process. I've heard that Olympus bodies are also very strong in IS but never tried their bodies.
M43 movement produces great reffined cameras and lenses for both the photographer and videographer.
If I had to put my money on a system, it would be between Sony, Fuji, m43 and if cash was not an issue, Leica.
But that's because all those fit my personal needs.

Now talking gear reviewers who do their bizz on networking, it's just like coaches or spiritual gurus who invaded the web with "the Secret", "a new earth", "awakening and enlightenment in 3 lessons", "a Curse in Miracles", the list is long.
A lot of internet "info" is theorical only and a way to make cash, and man needs cash. It's like that in every single area.
You'd be very surprized that even in what would/should be considered "serious", as I'm in touch with people of some "sensitive services" in Europe, even there!! internet brought a new crowd of experts and opinion makers of all kinds that are publishing regularly, let's put it that way: desinformation or lack of knowledge (which is the same).
But there are also and fortunatly very good content, creativity and real expertise.
It's just a mirror of mankind.

But remember, what makes a site alive are the members, not the owners. Regardless if Michael or Kevin. One's style or decisions can please more or less and that's just fine but the core of interactions occurs between members, and in this aspect, LuLa is probably the best site for photography.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:36:46 pm by fredjeang2 »

m.heijkoop

• Philosopher
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2018, 05:40:24 am »

Very, very hard to believe. These stops are shutter speed of course in this context. So let's say you were starting with 1/50th second (call it "50"), meaning that as we increment to 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 4800 makes 6.5 stops on top of 1/50th; so with that camera if I expose at 1.50th I'm getting the equivalent in apparent steadiness as if I were shooting at 1/4800th? Is this believable?

It's not about "believing". That's what we do in church  ;)
BrightLight!

fredjeang2

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2018, 12:05:43 pm »

Very, very hard to believe. These stops are shutter speed of course in this context. So let's say you were starting with 1/50th second (call it "50"), meaning that as we increment to 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 4800 makes 6.5 stops on top of 1/50th; so with that camera if I expose at 1.50th I'm getting the equivalent in apparent steadiness as if I were shooting at 1/4800th? Is this believable?
Even harder to beleive when had the confirmation from Panasonic engineers that the 6.5 are body IS only. No dual as I thought. Which means whatever wide (max gained stops body IS are of course obtained in practice with wide angles) you put on it from any time-brand will benefit 6.5 stops. Ok, even saying 6...I thought it was a Dual IS performance only, but no.
It's not uncommon to shoot with it at 1/4 sec in low light / night scene and keep sharpness, so you can avoid to push isos on non moving objects, to use tripod or benefit from it accordingly to other circumstances.
The lowest speed limit to avoid motion blur remains the same as always. You'll need that speed regardless if IS or not. But in practice there are creative possibilities that could not be acheived otherwise.
Some people have reported to have shooted at 1 sec with no prob and videoreporters don't need gimballs. The field of action is large indeed.
The reason why micro43 rules IS is because of the sensor size. Bad for higher isos but best for IS as there is much more room for internal movement and mechanical reffinements. They have a much smaller sensor to be moved so they can unlock more performances.
If they rule IS, they will surely do well in pixel shifting technology also. In a way it compensates for their smaller sensor limitations.
Quite amazing times nowdays.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:42:22 pm by fredjeang2 »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up