Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Classic star ratings disappeared since my last backup!  (Read 2454 times)

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com

This afternoon, 5-13-2018, I opened Lightroom Classic CC 7.3.1 and all my star ratings for my photos from 2018 appear to have disappeared! While no expert, I am not a novice either and have been using Lightroom for many years with few problems. I use a Mac Pro 2013 with 64GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD. The Lightroom catalog resides on the Mac Pro's SSD. My image files are stored on an 8TB hard drive in an OWC Thunderbay IV. My photos are backed up each night to two other 8TB drives in the Thunderbay with Carbon Copy Cloner. My SSD is backed up to another hard drive in the Thunderbay.

I back up my catalog reasonably frequently. I looked at my last backup, 5-08-18 and they were not there in that one, but were there in the backup previous to that, 5-02-18!

I assume I can substitute the functional backup catalog for the apparently damaged one and just add the relatively few images made in the last few days.

But this is quite unnerving as I have over 1,300 images taken in 2018.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on would be greatly appreciated.

Eric Brody

Re: Lightroom Classic star ratings disappeared since my last backup!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:22:51 pm »

Quick addendum, I just uninstalled Lightroom Classic, rebooted the Mac Pro, and re-installed LR. Upon checking a few images with stars actually did show up but nowhere near all of them. Confusing?

Eric Brody

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 08:44:44 pm »

After thinking about this... a lot, and seeing that no one had any answers, I've concluded the only explanation is that I somehow selected all the 2018 images and un-starred them. I simply cannot think of anything else. I've switched to the backup that had the star ratings and reviewed everything.

The lesson here is that when there's a problem, user error is the number one reason AND that having backups are the best way to prevent the user error from degenerating into unmitigated disaster. I'll be backing up EVERY DAY now.

Thanks to all who thought about this.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 02:18:49 pm »

After thinking about this... a lot, and seeing that no one had any answers, I've concluded the only explanation is that I somehow selected all the 2018 images and un-starred them. I simply cannot think of anything else. I've switched to the backup that had the star ratings and reviewed everything.

The lesson here is that when there's a problem, user error is the number one reason AND that having backups are the best way to prevent the user error from degenerating into unmitigated disaster. I'll be backing up EVERY DAY now.

Thanks to all who thought about this.
I’ve done that a couple of times.  Fortunately I realized it soon enough afterwards that  I believe the undo function worked to fix it for me.

John Caldwell

Lock Images States: Lightroom Classic
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 07:36:35 am »

I've made exactly this error, with Stars, Flags and so on. Sometimes I didn't discover the error for many weeks after the error was committed. John Beardsworth helped me out of jam one, and it was not trivial.

Why can we not Lock Image States in Lightroom? If a catalog spans multiple years, or genres of images, is it not logical that one might choose to Lock images, perhaps locking thousands of images at a time, rendering them impervious to unintended key strokes? The more LR offers keystroke shortcuts to do complicated things, as most of us now enjoy, the greater the chance that a few keystrokes could exert united edits on huge numbers of files.

Again, I'm surprised that more people have no insisted on our ability to Lock image states. It goes without saying that one needs also to Unlock, on an as-required basis.

John Caldwell

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 08:03:35 am »

It’s so easy to inadvertently hit some keys incorrectly or click on something by mistake and then not realise what you’ve done, only to find later that you’ve done something you didn’t know you’d done.

;D

Been there, done that, and got the T-shirt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up