Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing new folders and browsing folders  (Read 903 times)

scrollop

Importing new folders and browsing folders
« on: May 13, 2018, 05:16:37 pm »

Hello,
  Is there a fast way to sync a folder heirarchy for C1 to find new folders with images and import them into the library?
When using "sync", C1 11.1.1 appears to only find images in folders that are already present. I've read that you have to import each folder (which is not fast or elegant) unless you use "import".

When using "import", instead, even of a subfolder (eg 2018), then it does find the new folders, however, when it does import the new ones, you have to wait for your filters to be updated from new (ie. when selecting "all images" from catalog collections, the various filters you've chosen in the filter pane (eg. all of the lens focal lengths, apertures) are reset and C1 seems to read the metadata of every single image in your collection to repopulate them. Doing this for 200 000 files takes 20+ minutes, thich makes this process almost unusable for just importing a number of new folders.

Is there a better way to add a number of folders?

Also, is it possible in the folder/catalog view to click on a folder and to see in the image browser all of the images in that folder and it's subfolders? It seems odd that this isn't possible.

Thank you.

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
Re: Importing new folders and browsing folders
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 01:12:17 pm »

I've read that you have to import each folder (which is not fast or elegant) unless you use "import".

That is correct. I did not realize you could use another method to add images in existing known folders. Cool.

When using "import", instead, even of a subfolder (eg 2018), then it does find the new folders, however, when it does import the new ones, you have to wait for your filters to be updated from new (ie. when selecting "all images" from catalog collections, the various filters you've chosen in the filter pane (eg. all of the lens focal lengths, apertures) are reset and C1 seems to read the metadata of every single image in your collection to repopulate them. Doing this for 200 000 files takes 20+ minutes, thich makes this process almost unusable for just importing a number of new folders.

Interesting, there has been a discussion about this on the Phase One forums (https://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=28248) I remember having some of those symptoms and that things got better after letting C1 finish processing my All Image collection. Based on the linked forum discussion I plan to revisit those scenarios and see if I can reproduce the same behaviour that the poster has found, which sounds similar to what you describe.

Also, is it possible in the folder/catalog view to click on a folder and to see in the image browser all of the images in that folder and it's subfolders? It seems odd that this isn't possible.

You are correct it is not possible. It is the way C1 behaves. I keep my folders arranged in year/date shoot name folder structure and in LR I could click on 2017 and see all my images from 2017. In C1 I cannot do that so instead I have created smart collections to show all images that were taken in 2017. That gets me the same ability on a year over year basis.

The bottom line C1 just does it differently.

I wrote this a while back describing how I am taking advantage of C1's behaviour: https://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=27920#p133562
If you cannot beat them join them :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up