Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark Segal's "Stress Testing..." article  (Read 1503 times)

wwlee

• William Lee Photography
Mark Segal's "Stress Testing..." article
« on: May 13, 2018, 07:53:35 am »

Mark's articles are pretty technical, and as such - in my opinion - are better suited to a trade or scientific journal than LuLa, but I can understand them and see the point.  This one, however, I don't even understand the point of it.  I'd pull it down.  Not knocking Mark in any way, he's obviously a smart guy with interest in getting way into the weeds of his topic.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Mark Segal's "Stress Testing..." article
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 08:22:16 am »

Well, as an author it's always a disappointment when the reader doesn't understand the purpose of the article, so when I read such remarks I go back to the material to review whether I missed saying something important, but in this instance I think not, as I believe the point of it is explained rather clearly in the paragraph between Figures 1 and 2:

"However, just in case printers don’t perform as accurately reproducing more highly saturated colours, or much lighter pastel colours than found in the GMCC, I thought it worth considering whether I should move beyond the GMCC for a more comprehensive accuracy test covering (i) the more saturated colours that gloss and luster papers using Photo Black ink in today’s inkjet printers (Figure 2) are capable of printing and (ii) the challenge of accurately reproducing delicate pastel colours."

I hope that's clear enough, but that's also up to the minds of the readers.

These articles go through two stages of review by knowledgeable 3rd parties before they get published - the first stage by my reviewers, and the second stage by the publisher.

As the decision whether or not to publish any material on this website is at the sole discretion of the publisher, Kevin can speak to the broader question as to whether LuLa is an appropriate place for this item. The fact that he published it probably answers that question. The day he tells me a piece is beyond the scope of LuLa's intended coverage, well it just won't be published here. I think if you read through various threads particularly in the colour management and printing Sections in this Forum you will see that LuLa's audience is very broad, including people who range from the "non-techy" to the highly sophisticated technologists, in some cases with many years of formal education and deep experience in this field. So it's normal that some people will just gloss over all this stuff while others will read it and possibly find it of interest.

My main interest in putting this stuff out there is to share research I'm doing, see whether it resonates, see whether it's of any benefit to others and to receive advice.

Well, what more to say - your view is pretty clear! Thanks for taking the trouble to write in. 
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

wwlee

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 10:16:04 am »

I hope no offense was taken, certainly none was intended.  To clarify what I meant, my point is I don't see how what is in the article is "useful to me" in terms of making me a better photographer or a better, more knowledgeable user of photography tools like printers or paper.  Your other articles are technical, but I can apply what is in them to yield better results.  In the current article, I did not come away with a sense of how it can help me, although I did understand how it was useful to you.

I appreciate your contributions to the LuLa community and certainly don't want to dissuade you from contributing more in the future!  The filter I'm applying is clearly just my own.  Thanks, Mark.

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 10:54:20 am »

Mark's articles are pretty technical, and as such - in my opinion - are better suited to a trade or scientific journal than LuLa, but I can understand them and see the point.  This one, however, I don't even understand the point of it.  I'd pull it down.  Not knocking Mark in any way, he's obviously a smart guy with interest in getting way into the weeds of his topic.

While I appreciate your perspective (appreciate in this sense meaning acknowledgement), let me suggest that you’re most likely not the target audience for this kind of article.  The breadth of interest and understanding of Luminous Landscape frequenters is quite amazing.  There are lots of folk who are, as you say, deep into the weeds on the technical side of things.  Genuine experts.  An article such as Mark’s is very interesting to this audience.  It is this segment of the Luminous Landscape community that has taught me A LOT over the years.  I am mostly a non-technical person.  Some of the really technical discussion on Luminous Landscape goes right over my head.  But I LOVE reading the exchanges, complex though they may be, because over time some of it has rubbed off and penetrated my non-technical brain - making me better; making me understand things that do have a direct impact on the quality of my work.

So let me kindly, most stridently, disagree with your suggestion.  Articles like Mark’s often prompt me to “ask a stupid question” (most often via a personal message) that generous people like Mark are kind enough to respond to, explain, expand, educate.

Rand
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:03:55 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

wwlee

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 11:53:40 am »

Point taken, thanks for the thoughtful response.

By the way, I checked out some of your images, Rand.... gorgeous!  Love the style.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 01:10:22 pm »

As publisher of this site, I strive to offer a variety of content for the wide, large and diverse audience we have.  Anyone reading the forums knows that there is a segment of readers who appreciate the technical and analytical articles that Mark and others produce.  Sometimes content will appeal to one group of readers more than the other.  My feelings are we can all learn something even from the articles that may not be our cup of tea.

I'm grateful for Mark's work and contributions he brings to this site.  It's content like his that can't be found elsewhere that makes this site what it is. His articles take a lot of time to produce and you can count on them being accurate.

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 01:12:33 pm »

I hope no offense was taken, ...............

No, for sure not - have no fear. My first exposure to the greater public in a photographic environment goes back to the 1950s, so one learns a thing or two over the years that keeps one relaxed conversing on the internet as well ......   :-)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 01:18:32 pm »

Much appreciated Kevin. Being associated with LuLa is a privilege and I too learn much from it. Photography is a vast field and its potential keeps expanding year after year of innovation, large and small. The diversity of perspectives, interests and experience is infinite.

Rand47

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 06:03:09 pm »

Point taken, thanks for the thoughtful response.

By the way, I checked out some of your images, Rand.... gorgeous!  Love the style.

I'm glad you heard me in the way I intended.  You're welcome...  And, thanks for the kind word re my work.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: [1]   Go Up