Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Autumn in the Dandenong Ranges - Melbourne, Australia  (Read 660 times)

shadowblade

Autumn in the Dandenong Ranges - Melbourne, Australia
« on: May 12, 2018, 06:21:42 am »

Went to the Alfred Nicholas Gardens in the Dandenong Ranges to try to get some shots of a few wooden bridges surrounded by maple and gingko trees in autumn colours. Unfortunately, there has been a bit of maintenance work going on there, leading to temporary fencing spoiling the views of the bridges and obstructing access to some of my planned shooting locations. I did manage to get a shot of the boathouse, though.

As for the bridges, I guess they'll have to wait until next year or the year after - just hope the area doesn't get hit by bushfires again before then.

Sony A7r3 with 24-70GM, 41mm, 1/15s at f/9.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 07:43:57 pm by shadowblade »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Autumn in the Dandenong Ranges - Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 10:51:56 am »

Went to the Alfred Nicholas Gardens in the Dandenong Ranges to try to get some shots of a few wooden bridges surrounded by maple and gingko trees in autumn colours. Unfortunately, there has been a bit of maintenance work going on there, leading to temporary fencing spoiling the views of the bridges and obstructing access to some of my planned shooting locations. I did manage to get a shot of the boathouse, though.

As for the bridges, I guess they'll have to wait until next year or the year after - just hope the area doesn't get hit by bushfires again before then.

Sony A7r3 with 24-70GM, 41mm, 1/15s at f/9.

Lovely! Have you considered cropping off the right 40% of the image? Not much of interest there.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 02:30:55 pm »

Lovely! Have you considered cropping off the right 40% of the image? Not much of interest there.

It sets the scene, Peter. If you crop as you suggest, the shot is reduced to a photograph of a shed.

Jeremy

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 03:07:51 pm »

Not really.

The surroundings are needed to set the scene, while the photo as a whole needs the asymmetry.

Crop it to a square and it would just be a bad property catalogue photo.

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 03:24:00 pm »

It sets the scene, Peter. If you crop as you suggest, the shot is reduced to a photograph of a shed.

Jeremy

Looks like someone beat me to the same reply by half an hour!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:02:33 am »

Wonderful setting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up