Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting to print - Paper choice  (Read 3186 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Starting to print - Paper choice
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 03:42:52 pm »

Yes, Hahnemuhle papers are both excellent and expensive, and on their website they have profiles for the P800 which you can download free of charge https://www.hahnemuehle.com/en/digital-fineart/icc-profile/download-center.html.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 04:22:07 pm »

B&H Photo has a customer support center in Brazil and you might want to contact them to see what they have available for international sizes and costs/duties for shipments.  Here is their Brazil number: 0800.891.5877

rodppereira

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 03:57:11 am »

Thanks robertDthomas, I'll call them to ask about the photo papers shipping costs, tax and policies.

Regarding the offers here in Brazil, it seems that there are high end and low end papers, and nothing in between.
The lower end are generic papers with options like matte or glossy and some different weights.
The higher end are Fine Art papers from Hahnemuhle, excelent and expensive.

The better option may be to buy some good affordable papers in Chicago (the Epson ones), that I can use to learn how all that works. And buy in Brazil only the expensive better ones.

Probably I'll try over time some Hahnemuhle here in Brazil:

- Matt smooth -> Photo Rag 308 or Photo Rag Ultra Smooth 305;
- Matt textured -> Museum Etching 350;
- Glossy -> Photo Rag Baryta 315;
- Canvas -> Daguerre Canvas 400 or Monet Canvas 410.

Are these papers compatible with the Epson P800, or they need a better printer to delivery good quality?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 09:31:41 am »

All those papers are compatible with an Epson SC-P800. The print quality you get from them depends on the quality of the profiles, the choice of colour space and Rendering Intent and how well you prepare the files for printing under softproof in your image editing application with a correctly calibrated and profiled display.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

rodppereira

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 12:54:36 am »

Mark, thank you very much again! Your help and of all others members are invaluable. I often calibrate my display and plan to use the paper vendor's profiles, and then I will experiment with Photoshop.

Today I bought some papers here:

- Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308, size A4;
- Hahnemuhle William Turner 310, size A4;
- Hahnemuhle Bamboo 290, size A3.

The package and papers are very nice, I'll pratice with less expensive papers before using them.

I found today a seller that works with Canson papers, and he can order any Canson paper from the distributor.

Does anyone know if Canson has less expensive papers too, similar to the Epsons suggested in this thread, so I can experiment without breaking the bank?

Regards,
Rodrigo.

Rand47

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2018, 11:35:11 am »

I found today a seller that works with Canson papers, and he can order any Canson paper from the distributor.

Canson Platine and their Baryta Photographique are both top notch, IMO.  Very similar to Epson offerings, and often better priced. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

rodppereira

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 10:30:27 pm »

Thanks Rand.

I saw these two papers, very nice indeed. It seems they are in the same class as the best Hahnemuhle papers. Certainly I'll try.

But I'm looking for a cheaper, standard paper, with quality but that don't need to be "Fine Art". I plan to use these papers to learn the proccess of printing, without spending a lot of money, as probably most of it will go to trash eventualy.

Today I walked through paper stores in my area and found nothing, but (aparently) low quality photographic papers that inspires no confidence at all, and not so cheap.

For about half the price of "Fine Art" papers, I found in one online store the following:

- CansonĀ® Imaging Photo Mate Paper - 200g;

- CansonĀ® Imaging Photo Performance Satin - 240g.

But I could not find these papers in the Canson website, and no ICC profiles neither specifications is available. Without specs or at least an ICC profile, I do prefer to pay more for the "Fine Art" and stay in the "quality side". And to know that everytime something goes wrong, it is my fault.

Regards,
Rodrigo.

rodppereira

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 12:02:08 pm »

Hi!

Just to inform about the papers, I bought some Cansons that arrived this week. Now I have the following papers to experiment:

- Hahnemuhle Photo Rag
- Hahnemuhle William Turner
- Hahnemuhle Bamboo
- Canson Platine Fibre Rag
- Canson Baryta Photografique
- Canson Edition Etching
- Canson Rag Photografique

All papers are A4 size, except the Hahnemuhle Bamboo that is A3.

Probably I will buy some of the indicated Epson papers abroad because the lower price, but I'm convinced that the local suppliers are my best option in the long run.

Thank you all for the great help.

Regards,
Rodrigo.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up