Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elinchrom ELB500  (Read 375 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Elinchrom ELB500
« on: May 09, 2018, 08:57:29 AM »

Has anyone bought and uses this? I have the ELB400. Iím thinking of buying this by the end of the week, but Iíd love to hear from anyone who has hands on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDocAUS

Re: Elinchrom ELB500
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 01:40:23 AM »

Here is a review of the 500 here. The reviewer upgraded his flash heads from the 400 to the 500.

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 08:49:39 AM »

Why? For 100ws and TTL? Get the 1200 (I have 2, they're amazing). The lightness of the 1200 for the power is ridiculous.

-Doug

Rado

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 11:47:30 AM »

I have ordered one over a month ago but it hasn't arrived yet, either the demand is high or they have manufacturing problems. This is the first battery powered Elinchrom light I have considered buying because it finally has HSS.

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 09:25:15 PM »

Why? For 100ws and TTL? Get the 1200 (I have 2, they're amazing). The lightness of the 1200 for the power is ridiculous.

-Doug

Sorry to hi jack, Doug, if I remember correctly you used to have rfas rangers with lithiumís (I think we did conversions at the same time). Has the move into the newer kit been worth it?

I had considered switching to Moves as I use Bron in studio, but couldnít justify the money. The old 1100s keep blasting away with no issues.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

-Craig

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 12:42:27 AM »

I've got a couple Quadra "ready to go" hybrids. 400 Watts. Great units--consistent light and color output.

douglevy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 08:09:51 AM »

Hey Craig,

Totally worth it - I had some other issues with my rangers, and the batteries were getting ready to replace from heavy use anyway. The new ones are smaller, lighter and more reliable/adjustable than the rangers were. If my rangers were 100% I'd have kept using them, but they were just beat up from use and ready to be replaced.

-Doug

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 10:37:01 AM »

Hey Craig,

Totally worth it - I had some other issues with my rangers, and the batteries were getting ready to replace from heavy use anyway. The new ones are smaller, lighter and more reliable/adjustable than the rangers were. If my rangers were 100% I'd have kept using them, but they were just beat up from use and ready to be replaced.

-Doug

Thanks! What heads did you end up going with if you donít mind me asking?

douglevy

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 11:34:15 AM »

2 ELB 1200's, one HS head, one action head

nemophoto

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 09:58:03 PM »

I just bought the ELB 500 and got it Monday. I'll be using it for a week long location shoot next week, so I'll see how it does. While someone mentioned the ELB 400 (which i own with the HS head), and wondered why bother for only 100ws more, I suppose the answer is ease of use. It took me almost a year to dial in the ODS for HS on my 1Dx and 5Ds. And I still experience gradation of strobe, which under certain circumstances is VERY noticeable and hard to control. I love the ELB 400 and will keep it, but there are times clients get frustrated because i have to chimp like hell to fine tune the exposure since it's virtually impossible to meter the strobe the way I use it (micro pops for just a bit of fill). My initial tests with the ELB 500 make it a bit of a no brainer -- both on manual or TTL. But we'll see how it is living with it for a week.

Rado

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 07:59:47 AM »

Nemo where are you located? It irks me that someone can just walk into a store and buy the ELB500 while I've been waiting for almost two months and still don't have mine. Elinchrom is not winning any brownie points with me here.

nemophoto

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 08:36:09 AM »

Nemo where are you located? It irks me that someone can just walk into a store and buy the ELB500 while I've been waiting for almost two months and still don't have mine. Elinchrom is not winning any brownie points with me here.

I live in PA and work out of NYC. B&H had them in stock a week or so ago, but now listed as ďmore in the wayĒ. I actually bought mine directly from the distributor, the MAC Group via PhotoVideoEdu.com. While they had the To Go kit in stock (I had written them inquiring whether they had them, which was affirmative), they did not have the extra battery I usually would want. So, thatís a supply chain issue.

From where did you order yours? Iíd cancel and do a search of the larger stores and see what you can find. For all I know, maybe I got the last one in stock at photovideoudu.

Pages: [1]   Go Up