Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-T2 firmware V 4.00 is now available.  (Read 8031 times)

mbaginy

Re: Fuji X-T2 firmware V 4.00 is now available.
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 04:11:28 pm »

Fujifilm have just removed the 4.0 firmware update.  Here's the link to a report: petapixel

rdonson

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 04:53:36 pm »

I'm sticking with V4.00 until they come out with the fixes.  I'm not affected by the bugs identified. 

I keep experimenting with focus bracketing and I'm loving it!!!!!
Regards,
Ron

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 05:57:03 pm »

Fujifilm have just removed the 4.0 firmware update.

That's why I always archive a copy of every firmware update.

Like several others who have posted to this thread, I haven't experienced any of these bugs, so I'm staying at the 4.00 level.

rdonson

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 11:54:55 am »

Yesterday I did some more testing and got excellent results with focus bracketing.  For the backyard scene I was shooting I dropped the "Steps" to 4 and let it shoot 20 frames.  The first scene stopped at 12 frames and the second stopped at 17 frames.  I was shooting everything at f/2.8 on my 16-55 and the results with PS were excellent.

This is making my non-Fuji friends a bit jealous.   ;D
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 12:35:08 pm »

I have to experiment a little more but 12 shots for a landscape sounds a little too much, the chance of movement in between the frames will be quite high. I hope decreasing the aperture in F8 range will get good results with 3-5 frames only.
So far I shot some close ups with it but didn't have the time to play with them.

rdonson

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 05:33:09 pm »

Yes, I could have used 3-5 frames at f/8 but that wasn't the point of the experiment.

I purposely set up tough tasks at f/2.8 to see how it would perform.   In my mind the camera and firmware passed with flying colors.   

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mHzVQkyL9DAf50WP2
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 06:02:46 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

MBehrens

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2018, 03:12:55 pm »

I've been testing in my office to get a grasp of what is happening. The Step value being the most interest, number of frames and interval seem to be just what they are, up to infinity for the frames.
I'm using the kit lens and the scale on my paper cutter.
At f4 with Step=1 the stepping is very small. 10 frames only created a focus depth of 1cm.
At f4 with Step=10 the 10 frame depth is about 5cm
At f6.4 with Step=10 the 10 frame depth is about 8cm.
The Step=10 setting seemed to provide adequate coverage/overlap - I don't have a particularly fast lens testing here though.
See the attached images.
The step depth does seem to be effected by the f-stop.
Seems that 5 and less values would be used for macro work. Normal and landscape shooting can use 5 and greater.
I expect that focus distance is going to have an effect as well. Longer distances will create bigger steps.

rdonson

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2018, 09:21:22 pm »

As you suggest.... (I think) the Step values depend on the distance from the camera with regards to your numerical choice.  I tried one very similar to what I shared in my last post at 5 and it wasn't as good a result as using 4 in the next tests.   I'm guessing that in the more typical landscape where you're looking at distances from hundreds of feet to miles the higher numbers are a better bet. 

It would be nice to get some guidance from Fuji on this rather than testing the snot out of things. 
Regards,
Ron

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2018, 12:05:16 pm »

I'm using the kit lens and the scale on my paper cutter.
At f4 with Step=1 the stepping is very small. 10 frames only created a focus depth of 1cm.
At f4 with Step=10 the 10 frame depth is about 5cm
At f6.4 with Step=10 the 10 frame depth is about 8cm.

Thanks for sharing the results of your tests.

I don't know understand why Fuji hasn't published more information about the focus-bracketing parameters.  The illustration in the updated user manual is ... ahhh ... less than illuminating.

rdonson

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2018, 05:50:47 pm »

I agree unless Fuji is reluctant to accidentally share some secret sauce with their competitors.

That said, I'm willing to wait.  There is a good chance they will be hearing feedback about that and they're generally very good in responding to what their customers are saying.  I'm willing to wait until they release this feature (again) in the upcoming fix release.   
Regards,
Ron

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2018, 08:53:58 am »

Have done another test, this time of a floral display.  Taken with 35mm f2 prime, electronic shutter, 20 images, step 6, 0 interval so only a few secs to take all images.  The display is about 2ft top to bottom and 18 inches front to furthest visible at top.  On inspecting the 20 images only 6 covered the focus range, so I put these in Helicon Focus and this is the result (albeit with a little contrast and clarity adjustment in LR on the Velvia simulation JPEG and then down sizing for LULA).  Guess that I need some estimation in each case, but better to take more than necessary and then select for stacking to one image.  I'm happy so far.

I'm not doing anything in firmware v4.0 to cause problems so carrying on using it till next update.

Best wishes.
Jonathan in UK

rdonson

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2018, 12:31:48 pm »

Thanks for sharing, Jonathan. 

I am curious why it took 20 shots instead of stopping before that number was reached.  I wonder if it was fooled by the background or that it truly needs to reach infinity focus before it stops (as explained by Fuji).
Regards,
Ron

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 12:49:40 pm »

Ron,  I think it does however images you specify whether or not it goes beyond the furthest necessary focus point, but I may be wrong!  It's one of life's little mysteries.

Best wishes.
Jonathan in UK

MBehrens

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2018, 03:30:44 pm »

I see Helicon Focus mentioned a few times. I've been using Photoshop CC. Is HF significantly better?

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 04:17:02 pm »

I do not know if Helicon Focus is better than Photoshop cc as I only use Lightroom.  I have the lite version of Helicon Focus and it can be used as a Lightroom plug-in or a stand alone.  I find it very easy to use.  You just load the images you want to merge, press render, and the stack is merged into one in-focus image which you then save. It suits my needs and I purchased a lifetime licence. Both my images in this thread were processed this way.

Best wishes.
Jonathan in UK

rdonson

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2018, 06:32:49 pm »

Ron,  I think it does however images you specify whether or not it goes beyond the furthest necessary focus point, but I may be wrong!  It's one of life's little mysteries.

Best wishes.

As I reported previously I had to runs where it stopped shooting before hitting the 20 mark which I set and I was very pleased with the results.  Fuji has only said it will stop earlier to the max shots if it gets to infinity focus. 
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2018, 09:49:31 am »

I took a few series with the 60mm macro and at some distances the first 2 shots are not aligned with the others, almost as if the shutter shock moves the camera a little. The rest though, from nr 3 to the end are relatively aligned, focus shift notwithstanding. I forgot to do it just with the electronic shutter, next on my project list.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2018, 10:02:58 am »

Here is a quick focus stack done in Photoshop, with the 60mm, 18 frames, step 10 (I think). Few minor stacking errors, I should be able to fix them manually in Photoshop if the picture was worth it. I also attached a 100% screenshot from the middle.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2018, 03:42:41 pm »

Playing a little more (it reminds me why I don't usually try this, it takes too long and you end up with too many shots)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2018, 12:33:49 pm »

One more. I find easier to stack than with the Olympus, the Photoshop gives me less stacking errors. I'm not sure if it's something in the settings or the Fuji has more consistency.
This particular one was with the 60mm macro, step of 10, 12 frames, distance of around 3 feet (give or take)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up