Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Improves Your Well Being  (Read 2252 times)

Kevin Gallagher

Improves Your Well Being
« on: May 04, 2018, 04:49:23 pm »

Hi guys, here's a link to a little story over on DPR. Seems that we should all be taking and sharing a photo every day rather than pontificating, nitpicking, and playing semantics on one thing after another.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/8223851512/study-finds-shooting-and-sharing-one-photo-per-day-improves-wellbeing
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Improves Your Well Being
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 05:14:21 pm »

My anecdotal evidence seems to support this.
-MattB

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 07:10:32 pm »

I wonder what is the deciding factor - the creative process of planning and taking the pictures, or the communication aspect.

mecrox

• My Online Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 06:05:08 am »

I wonder what is the deciding factor - the creative process of planning and taking the pictures, or the communication aspect.

The link points to an academic-type paper which goes into that. It seems it could be a whole combo of factors which will be different from person to person. My experience would support that doing something like this is well worth it. Maybe that’s one of the innate pleasures of almost any hobby, you can do a little bit each day and take some enjoyment from it.
Mark @ Flickr

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 07:30:13 am »

Here is my contribution for today (shot last evening).
Special shingle formations on my house as a result of extreme weather effects, causing 100km/h winds.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 07:52:08 am »

If you don't share you might go nuts

Even if you share you can go nuts

what's the difference......... ;)
pieter, aka pegelli

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 08:19:04 am »

Hi guys!! Nice shingles Les, can that be repaired or is it replacement time?

"Even if you share you can go nuts"

Hi Pieter, good point  :)

Love all types of nuts!!

As you may or may not know, we have a new puppy in the house. With both of us being of a "certain age" (67) it seems be much more of a challenge to stay ahead of the curve with him, in which case you may see a lot of pix that would normally be in the "Let's See Your Pets" thread

mecrox: I just kinda glossed over the article, I thought that the idea did have a lot of merit :)
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 07:24:32 pm »

Thanks for posting this, Kevin.  I found the paper really interesting.  The conclusion, in particular, seemed well founded and reflected a good approach to the study.  If anyone hasn't taken the time to read the original paper, I'd recommend it.  I found some of it challenging because it's not a field in which I have expertise, but a little Googling helped understand some of the terms and references.  I think one of the biggest take-aways for me is that you can make a difference by yourself.  Individuals can make a difference.  A timely reminder.
Phil Brown

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 08:25:02 am »

Some cancer convalescence centres encourage their patients to submit and share their painting and photography artwork with others, so they can express themselves and deal with the very difficult emotional and physical challenges of cancer.

Here is a tranquil image from a nearby pond yesterday where I managed to calm down after surveying the damage from the devastating storm on the previous day. Instead of reducing the saturation of the strong iridiscence I chose a different way of softening the bold nature's colours.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 08:47:13 am »

Here is a tranquil image from a nearby pond yesterday where I managed to calm down after surveying the damage from the devastating storm on the previous day. Instead of reducing the saturation of the strong iridiscence I chose a different way of softening the bold nature's colours.

We saw some of those winds yesterday, but vastly diminished from those "out west" in Ontario and Quebec. Unlike your jaunty duck, my Tilley hat kept coming off until I adjusted the thing so tight I thought I'd have permanent creases in my forehead.  Managed one shot for the day with my impression of "Who has seen the wind?".

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 11:51:44 am »

Here's the two "kids" having their after breakfast snooze!! And they say "It's A Dog's Life!!"  :)

[img]http://www.pbase.com/keving/image/167376053.jpg/img]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:09:42 pm by Kevin Gallagher »
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 08:44:32 am »

But... aren't folks complaining that too many photos are actually being taken and shared? Like gazillions of them?

Anyway, even Kodak knew this a long time ago, when they made their cameras popular.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 04:45:19 pm »

Even if you share you can go nuts

what's the difference......... ;)

I know why you shot that shot!

;-)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 09:38:08 am »

Hi guys, here's a link to a little story over on DPR. Seems that we should all be taking and sharing a photo every day rather than pontificating, nitpicking, and playing semantics on one thing after another.

But does it improve the well-being of the people who will be bombarded by all these shared photo  ;D?

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 03:57:10 pm »

I'ld say a little of both. Photo.net does it right with their No Words forum where posting images becomes basically a message in a bottle with no need to reply, just take it in and appreciate how lucky we carbon based creatures are to live on such a beautiful rock in a universe that wants nothing more than to kill us all.

It's kinda' become a replacement for prayer, celebration and reflecting on one's existence. A rectangle or square frame can't help but say a human is trying to communicate something of this sort.

I think LuLa needs a No Words forum where everyone just shuts the f**k up and posts one image on a topic and appreciates the view each photographer has provided in return. And with the "Like" button it's a simple acknowledgement of approval for creating a worth while piece of work. I've got over 3000 "Likes" but then I'm taken aback and have to pause and ask myself what I'm doing with my life photographing and processing that many Raw images over the years.

I'm having fun and I'm not going to worry about what may be perceived as a complete waste of time.

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 05:20:19 pm »

But does it improve the well-being of the people who will be bombarded by all these shared photo  ;D?

They won't notice. The world has already drowned in photographs. Photographs have become the most devalued of currencies, both in the visual space as in the marketplace. Nothing surprises and nothing disappoints anymore; it just doesn't matter anymore, as Buddy Holly told us long ago.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 09:45:53 pm »

it just doesn't matter anymore, as Buddy Holly told us long ago.

:) :) :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up