Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maybe we can get this off bottom dead center  (Read 728 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Maybe we can get this off bottom dead center
« on: May 03, 2018, 04:01:05 pm »

At least I can try.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

BobDavid

Re: Maybe we can get this off bottom dead center
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 02:50:08 am »

I think you're getting the hang of it---Florida light and color poses challenges.

RSL

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 08:35:01 am »

It's interesting, Bob. I go out on that river in the morning and I'm dazzled by the beauty I see, but you really have to think about it in order to capture even a small part of it. It's not street; it's not wabi sabi; it's not landscape. It's unique. And even though I dislike the heat and humidity of the oncoming summer, there's something about the summer light that grabs me and gives me a shake.

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 09:45:18 am »

The summer light in Florida differs from that of the high plains in CO. I'm only beginning to understand how to crack the code. ... I think you're onto something, much different from anything you've done before.

RSL

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 04:06:08 pm »

I think you're right, Bob. And I think you're in the same boat. One reason I've shot so much B&W and converted so many shots to B&W in Colorado, New Mexico, West Texas, and Kansas is that it sort of tracks the stuff people like Tim O'Sullivan did early on. The other problem is that I think colors in that part of the country are difficult to handle in a photograph. After you've worked at it a while, tell me what you think.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 01:23:21 am »

It's interesting, Bob. I go out on that river in the morning and I'm dazzled by the beauty I see, but you really have to think about it in order to capture even a small part of it. It's not street; it's not wabi sabi; it's not landscape. It's unique. And even though I dislike the heat and humidity of the oncoming summer, there's something about the summer light that grabs me and gives me a shake.

Interesting exercise, Russ.
In the part of Europa where I live, the light is not always our best friend, overcast sky, dull and very flat light, and when it gets sunny, only early morning and late afternoon delivers the so much appreciated light. Between these moments, the light is hard en colors washed out. Pollution playing a not unimportant role in the character of the light.
I dramatically changed my way of viewing to this situation and changed the way how I photograph. Now I love the things as they are, not as I was hoping they looked like.And here is the challenge for me, and I think I recognize this in your exercise, How to create a interesting photograph with given restrictions. Key (for me) is to accept the fact a picture is not necessarily  beautiful. If the light is not beautiful, the picture will not bring up beautiful light. (Photoshop manipulation excluded) The latter doesn't mean the image cannot be smashing good and overwhelming interesting.
Egglestones visual language had I massive impact on my view on the world.
The camerawork of the Austrian cineast Ulrich Seidl made me look different to the common subjects

The content of the image, the emotional (or lack of it) impact, became more important over the purely visual impact

This openend a new photographic experience to me.`Ì wish you the same!!!

Ivo

BobDavid

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 02:04:51 am »

This is an interesting thread. I am in the same boat as you Russ, and I appreciate your point of view, Ivo_P.
Pages: [1]   Go Up