Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR silently clips Hi-Res (OMD EM1 Mk2) Panoramas  (Read 1109 times)

peterwgallagher

LR silently clips Hi-Res (OMD EM1 Mk2) Panoramas
« on: April 30, 2018, 04:34:40 am »

Not sure if this is known behaviour or if I'm "holding it wrong".

I have a 9-image (raw .ORF files) Olympus Hi-Res pano that I want to stitch in LR 7.3.1. The raws are approx. 65mb each. LR shows me a preview that seems to be left-truncated by 3 images. After trying again a couple of times I pressed the 'merge' button to check the final output. The preview was accurate: only 6 of the raws have been used (the first three dropped).

What is this? There's nothing screwy about the raws: Photoshop stitches them to a TIF. But I prefer the DNG I get from LR where possible. [Yes, I know I could try e.g. PT-Gui but I like the LR results in most cases].

Is there still a "memory" limit in LR 7.3.1. I have an Mac Book Pro w/16GB of Ram and a large SSD hard-drive. Why does LR truncate?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: LR silently clips Hi-Res (OMD EM1 Mk2) Panoramas
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 05:15:43 am »

What is this?
I think it's as simple as LR just sometimes fails to find sufficient points of reference to match all the files.
I've seen it happen on Canon and Sony files too, all of which can be stitched in other software.

peterwgallagher

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 06:35:47 am »

I think it's as simple as LR just sometimes fails to find sufficient points of reference to match all the files

Yes, that's a plausible reason. But in this case, I find it difficult to believe because there are plenty of contiguous edges in the first three images.

I attach a screenshot of the (unprocessed) Photoshop .tif showing the approximate content of the images that LR dropped.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 06:45:27 am »

in this case, I find it difficult to believe because there are plenty of contiguous edges in the first three images.
When it's happened to me there doesn't seem any obvious reason for it to fail.
When the feature works, it usually works well, when it fails you just have to move on.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 12:49:07 pm »

I've also seen this happen when the overlap is large enough that multiple images share the same information. if the next image data is in 2 files, might try leaving one out.

I typically overlap by 75% so I can leave an image out if one has a problem, and have had this happen a couple of times.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:29:40 pm by Wayne Fox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up