Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gilde Camera  (Read 6728 times)

schaubild

Gilde Camera
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:44:40 am »

(P.S. please excuse the typo in the title   :-)     )

I too saw the Gilde at Photokina. A very impressive piece of technology, well thought out, HUGE and nicely built (even tough not as perfect as the Alpa's).

Nevertheless I ask myself about the useability of the smaller film formats like 6x6. Why do that if I can get larger images on the film and crop later? Don't get me wrong, it's a nice feature but in my eyes makes the camera unnecessary more complicated. I can't see myself composing handheld with that thing anyway.

Tilt and shift is really appealing, 10 degrees tilt are enough, but the turning point looks a little strange, won't I loose the focus by turning the lens at it's backplate? There is a reason for the Sinar and Arca (and Hartblei and Canon and...) mechanisms that do it differently.

And I have my doubts about the precision (and therefore usefulness) of sliding adapters for digital in general and especially for short focal lengths.

My conclusion: interesting, but I can't get rid of the feeling that Mr. Gilde tried to pack too much into one single camera and the compromises don't outweigh the advantages (for me).

What do you think about it?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 02:47:37 am by schaubild »

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
Gilde Camera
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 04:00:50 am »

I had a look at the Gilde too, Mr Gilde told me he would manufacture a digital slider that fits exactly to 1 back and 1 body, of course this can be marketing talk, but if he really can garantuee a 1/100mm accurancy of his material, we play in the same league as ALPA IMHO.
But You're right, he probably wants too please landscape (film) shooters and digital shooters.
If i had the money and would be sure to work always on tripod, the Gilde would be my toy;-)))

tom-

schaubild

Gilde Camera
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 02:22:27 am »

I had a look at the Gilde too, Mr Gilde told me he would manufacture a digital slider that fits exactly to 1 back and 1 body, of course this can be marketing talk, but if he really can garantuee a 1/100mm accurancy of his material, we play in the same league as ALPA IMHO.
But You're right, he probably wants too please landscape (film) shooters and digital shooters.
If i had the money and would be sure to work always on tripod, the Gilde would be my toy;-)))
tom-
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79028\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As he is using an original Alpa adapter for his digital back I tend to believe the 1/100th there, but not for the sliding adapter  :-)

A pure 6x17, with the clever groundglass, the solid magazine which can be changed even mid roll (no format changes), vertical shift (horizontal doesn't make sense) and tilt would really be the thing for landscape. And be more focused to do one thing really right. And still be more useful than a Linhof, for example.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 02:27:40 am by schaubild »
Pages: [1]   Go Up