Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A subdivided site  (Read 5882 times)

bluekorn

A subdivided site
« on: April 27, 2018, 01:04:59 pm »

It seems to me that this site is currently 90% dedicated to Sony and Fujifilm. This may be expected? as they are both highly acclaimed systems. I happen to shoot M4/3 and have an interest in the new Panasonic cameras, the G9 and the GX9. Perhaps interest in M4/3 is waning amongst Lula photographers which would sadden me as I do enjoy and appreciate the commentary here. Would it make sense to subdivide the mirrorless/compact system pages into separate sections, one for Sony and Fuji and another for Panasonic and Olympus?

Rob C

Re: A subdivided site
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 02:18:02 pm »

Other than just filling life with a little more complexity and increasing the possibility for cock-ups, if there is actually such a need from owners of - or even from those just a little curious about the two brands you mentioned, don't you think that they could make their presence in the space already available a little more heavy and felt?

Why would it need a separate space to do that? This is hardly a fan-boy website insofar as the membership is concerned.

As this would affect me absolutely not at all, having neither a dog in any fight nor even a particular cow to milk, I simply wonder what you imagine it might achieve other than, perhaps, introduce just the sort of fanaticism brands can induce if allowed so to do.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 03:14:32 pm »

There is really not a reason to make another topic.  We will be covering more on Olympus and Panasonic over the coming months.  And, if Canon and Nikon both announce something we will certainly cover that too.  I think it may turn out to be an interesting year as we move forward.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 03:23:18 pm »

If it were up to me I'd generalize even further than the current gear setup: one forum for Cameras, one for Lenses and a third for Accessories. Let all the makers and formats jostle against each other.  :D  But that's probably a step too far.

-Dave-

bluekorn

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 04:34:55 pm »

Many of you out there are blessed with scientific backgrounds, technical expertise and the concomitant jargon to support your understanding of the heavy and felt. Others, like myself, are sputtering far back in the wake of your considerable knowledge. I made this suggestion thinking limits are sometimes useful in learning. Narrows the focus a bit. I’ll consider the notion that in this process called digital photography a camera is just the camera.

The allusion to fanboyism. A perjorative on this site, isn’t it.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 05:48:35 pm »

Many of you out there are blessed with scientific backgrounds, technical expertise and the concomitant jargon to support your understanding of the heavy and felt. Others, like myself, are sputtering far back in the wake of your considerable knowledge. I made this suggestion thinking limits are sometimes useful in learning. Narrows the focus a bit. I’ll consider the notion that in this process called digital photography a camera is just the camera.

The allusion to fanboyism. A perjorative on this site, isn’t it.

"this process called digital photography"

Take it a step further: in this art form called photography a camera is just a camera.

I've just watched a BBC 4 tv show on Jeff Beck; where it's relevant to photography is here: as with music, it's what's in the head that counts. One of the speakers in the programme states he's seen Beck pick up a guitar somebody else has just put down, and instantly make it sound totally different.

That's really the thing about photography; you can take any single camera and, in the hands of any number of different, skilled photographers, it will produce something entirely different every time.

If that's not the part that is interesting to you, then all you need is a collection of reviews, and the Internet is sagging under the weight of them. Truth to tell, I think that websites where people toss around opinions about why they think whatever is the best camera in the world can be quite harmful, especially to newer dabblers in photography because they could so easily come to believe that there exists a magic box with even more magical bits of glass in front of it with an absolutely divine part in the back which will make every image a piece of visual history. Not so. Never has been so.

Rob C

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:56:04 pm by Rob C »

Rand47

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:33:25 pm »

If it were up to me I'd generalize even further than the current gear setup: one forum for Cameras, one for Lenses and a third for Accessories. Let all the makers and formats jostle against each other.  :D  But that's probably a step too far.

-Dave-

+1  This is a GREAT idea.  Even the current title for this page is rapidly becoming a non sequitur .  I would hardly call a Sony w/ G Master lenses "compact," and the new Fuji X-H1, while a bit smaller than a DSLR is certainly no longer "compact" a la the X100, etc.

I routinely look at both this page and the Cameras/Lenses page and the amount of subject overlap makes the page title distinction moot.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

BJL

A subdivided site — or better searchability?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 08:00:39 pm »

I do not favor a split: where would we debate the virtues of different mirrorless digital camera systems?!

Would it help to improve search features, so that you and I could prioritize the reading of MFT related topics for example? Maybe hashtags, or are we all to old for that newfangled approach?

I agree that this forum's name is increasingly inaccurate, but is there a good agreed name for what I call "mirrorless digital camera systems"?

#MFT #nonewforums #Olympus #mirrorlesscamerasystems
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 09:38:46 am by BJL »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 09:01:28 pm »

This thread gives a new meaning to hairsplitting.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 02:49:17 am »

I've an even better idea.  Cameras could be subdivided by weight and pixel count. The Lenses forum should be subdivided into fisheye, T/S, wide angle, medium and long, with appropriate categories having sub-subdivisions into prime and zoom (with zooms further divided into those which zoom in by turning the ring anticlockwise and those which need a clockwise turn, of course; I think the push-pull forum would be pretty quiet).

Kevin, can I set that up? Please?

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 04:15:26 am »

This thread gives a new meaning to hairsplitting.

Shrewd observation.

mecrox

• My Online Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 05:29:57 am »

Other than just filling life with a little more complexity and increasing the possibility for cock-ups, if there is actually such a need from owners of - or even from those just a little curious about the two brands you mentioned, don't you think that they could make their presence in the space already available a little more heavy and felt?

Why would it need a separate space to do that? This is hardly a fan-boy website insofar as the membership is concerned.

As this would affect me absolutely not at all, having neither a dog in any fight nor even a particular cow to milk, I simply wonder what you imagine it might achieve other than, perhaps, introduce just the sort of fanaticism brands can induce if allowed so to do.

The OP has a point, though. Back in the day, as long ago as say six years haha, new mirrorless cameras were indeed sold amid much hullabaloo as “compact” systems. It’s since become clear they are not really all that compact and, as systems, aren’t really so different from DSLRs. So yes there is now quite a bit of overlap between the two camera subforums in LuLa, imo, because of how the camera market has evolved in recent years.

As for the rest, I come here hoping to escape from brand talk and ye fanboys. This site has more coverage of photography and photographers, as art and craft, than the big gear sites ever manage. The brand talk on some sites out there is so frantic that it’s enough to tempt me to give it all up and join a monastery.
Mark @ Flickr

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 05:50:21 am »

The OP has a point, though. Back in the day, as long ago as say six years haha, new mirrorless cameras were indeed sold amid much hullabaloo as “compact” systems. It’s since become clear they are not really all that compact and, as systems, aren’t really so different from DSLRs. So yes there is now quite a bit of overlap between the two camera subforums in LuLa, imo, because of how the camera market has evolved in recent years.

As for the rest, I come here hoping to escape from brand talk and ye fanboys. This site has more coverage of photography and photographers, as art and craft, than the big gear sites ever manage. The brand talk on some sites out there is so frantic that it’s enough to tempt me to give it all up and join a monastery.

The minute you got there you'd regret having left the camera behind.

But yes, you are quite right about LuLa being so much more than just a camera gear website. That said, it also comes down to some of the people who participate. Were we to lose some of those I like and also respect, then I'd collapse my wigwam and move on. It's the human thing that keeps me coming back, the quirks and ways of the people. Take that away, and what do you got? as they say.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 05:57:20 am by Rob C »

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 09:26:03 am »

Ok, I'm being sarcastic. Because there is no difference between the prints shot with MFT and Full Frame. 

bluekorn

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 12:40:22 pm »

Ok. The jig is up. I’ll just confess to my disingenuousness and then, as Kevin said, we can move forward. I’m not really a M4/3 photographer. I,m a fanboy in search of a brand.

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 03:13:41 pm »

Ok. The jig is up. I’ll just confess to my disingenuousness and then, as Kevin said, we can move forward. I’m not really a M4/3 photographer. I,m a fanboy in search of a brand.

;-)

Rob

mecrox

• My Online Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 06:06:49 pm »

The minute you got there you'd regret having left the camera behind.

But yes, you are quite right about LuLa being so much more than just a camera gear website. That said, it also comes down to some of the people who participate. Were we to lose some of those I like and also respect, then I'd collapse my wigwam and move on. It's the human thing that keeps me coming back, the quirks and ways of the people. Take that away, and what do you got? as they say.

Lol, as it happens I visited a lovely monastery in the mountains in Cyprus last week and was mighty tempted to hang around. No internet. No newspapers. Good coffee. And, yes, I photographed it with my not quite so compact Olympus camera. Photography and silence - I could see an essay about that.
Mark @ Flickr

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 03:25:43 am »

Lol, as it happens I visited a lovely monastery in the mountains in Cyprus last week and was mighty tempted to hang around. No internet. No newspapers. Good coffee. And, yes, I photographed it with my not quite so compact Olympus camera. Photography and silence - I could see an essay about that.

How much room do they have?

Peter

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 03:54:31 am »

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 04:17:10 am »

+1

Oscar, I live in a monastery - have done so for over nine years - and though it's just of the mind, not a place I'd recommend to anyone!

;-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up