Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: Global Cooling. The sky is falling.  (Read 107974 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Global Cooling. The sky is falling.
« Reply #760 on: June 22, 2018, 07:03:50 pm »

Tesla to shut solar plants: Reuters

Tesla will shutter some of the solar businesses it bought a few years ago, reports Reuters, after the electric carmaker announced it was cutting 9% of its workforce. Tesla bought SolarCity — which produces residential solar systems and batteries — two years ago for $2.6 billion. Approximately a dozen facilities in nine states will now be closed.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #761 on: June 22, 2018, 07:16:38 pm »

What's happening to their solar roofs?  The article doesn't mention it.  I know I thought they were too expensive in previous posts.  The whole things is bad though because it's an American company.  I'd like it to do good.  When I was in Home Depot a few months ago, a salesman came over to sell me solar for my house.  I'm not spending enough on electricity so he disappeared.  I didn't realize he was selling Tesla solar.
https://in.reuters.com/article/netflix-moves/netflix-communication-head-quits-over-insensitive-comment-idINKBN1JI2XR

Ray

« Reply #762 on: June 23, 2018, 12:19:02 am »

Ray, I think I recall reading once that plants use oxygen at night.  Is that true and what effect on the atmosphere, CO2, global warming, etc would that have?

Yes. I believe that's true. Most plants do need oxygen at night. However, I think it's also true that, in general, they expire or release more oxygen than they take up, so plants are a major source of the oxygen that we humans need to breathe and survive.

We should be grateful and give the plants the CO2 that they love.  ;D

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #763 on: June 23, 2018, 12:29:51 am »

We should be grateful and give the plants the CO2 that they love.  ;D
Yes, tomorrow, first thing, I'm going out and hug one of my plants in the yard to let them know I care.  They certainly haven't looked too good lately. 

Ray

« Reply #764 on: June 23, 2018, 12:38:37 am »

Yes, tomorrow, first thing, I'm going out and hug one of my plants in the yard to let them know I care.  They certainly haven't looked too good lately.

Won't do any good. Plants are not silly. ;D  They need water, lots of CO2, and a number of essential elements, as explained in the following article.
https://www.maximumyield.com/the-full-menu/2/977

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #765 on: June 23, 2018, 01:01:41 am »

Won't do any good. Plants are not silly. ;D  They need water, lots of CO2, and a number of essential elements, as explained in the following article.
https://www.maximumyield.com/the-full-menu/2/977

Too complicated.  I'll stick to hugging. :)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #766 on: June 23, 2018, 10:18:14 am »

Keep it going, guys. We're setting new records daily for head rattles.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #767 on: June 23, 2018, 10:22:08 am »

We don't have to, you are doing all the head rattling for the rest of us.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #768 on: June 23, 2018, 11:00:40 am »

Head rattles? Could it be the effect of elevated CO2 levels?
Excess CO2 is known to negatively impact learning abilities ..., but head rattles?

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:12:26 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

RSL

« Reply #769 on: June 23, 2018, 11:54:50 am »

Could be, Bart.

Cheers

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #770 on: June 23, 2018, 01:15:02 pm »

One of the interesting things in the Nature paper this week was the differential impact of gravitational pull from the ice sheet in Antarctica.  Loss of ice reduces the weight of the continent and as a result 'may' lead to a 25% increase in water levels in the northern hemisphere

RSL

« Reply #771 on: June 23, 2018, 01:22:09 pm »

No, it'll probably lead to a reversal of the earth, so what's now the south pole will become the north pole. That's at least as likely as the epeiric seas returning soon enough for any of us to worry about it. Actually, Alan, you really should rush out and buy a boat -- maybe build an ark.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 01:28:16 pm by RSL »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #772 on: June 23, 2018, 02:30:30 pm »

Actually, Alan, you really should rush out and buy a boat

Well done Russ, first sound advice.

-- maybe build an ark.

and then you spoil it again.

Cheers,
Bart

RSL

« Reply #773 on: June 23, 2018, 02:43:00 pm »

No, Bart, Alan is so worried about all this that he probably ought to build a boat large enough that when the flood comes he can rescue all the folks on LuLa worried sick about global warming (or, since no such thing really seems to be happening, "climate change"). That's a lot of folks and elephants and bears and giraffes and . . . Oh, dogs. Lots of dogs and cats.

When I was a kid I spent my summers on a Michigan lake. Down in a corner of the lake was a boat: Bert Buell's boat. It was a houseboat Bert had built himself. Maybe Bert was as worried about the return of epeiric seas as Alan is. In any case, for at least fifteen years Bert Buell's boat sat there and never went anywhere. And the epeiric seas never returned during that whole period. And that's probably what would happen to Alan's boat. But at least he'd be ready.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #774 on: June 23, 2018, 04:09:14 pm »

One of the interesting things in the Nature paper this week was the differential impact of gravitational pull from the ice sheet in Antarctica.  Loss of ice reduces the weight of the continent and as a result 'may' lead to a 25% increase in water levels in the northern hemisphere

From my understanding you'ld have to know the exact volume of water the melting ice sheets release into the ocean from on land compared to the exact combined total of ocean water volume of the entire globe. Then you'ld have to establish an agreed starting sea level measuring point of shore line land elevation to sea level AT THE SHORELINE which will be the only way to know for sure sea levels are rising not due to lunar tidal influences.

You're trying to measure the movement of huge volumes of water (influenced by gravity) across the entire globe and there isn't enough precision available to attribute causality for A/B shoreline changes due to sea level rises.

Note my little illustration showing how I understand how water moves across the globe according to the laws of gravity. Tell me where I'm misunderstanding this.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #775 on: June 23, 2018, 04:52:37 pm »

No, Bart, Alan is so worried about all this that he probably ought to build a boat large enough that when the flood comes he can rescue all the folks on LuLa worried sick about global warming (or, since no such thing really seems to be happening, "climate change"). That's a lot of folks and elephants and bears and giraffes and . . . Oh, dogs. Lots of dogs and cats.

When I was a kid I spent my summers on a Michigan lake. Down in a corner of the lake was a boat: Bert Buell's boat. It was a houseboat Bert had built himself. Maybe Bert was as worried about the return of epeiric seas as Alan is. In any case, for at least fifteen years Bert Buell's boat sat there and never went anywhere. And the epeiric seas never returned during that whole period. And that's probably what would happen to Alan's boat. But at least he'd be ready.
I am just quoting a scientific study and you raise some more phony issues and worthless posts.  If you don't like a post, refute it with some facts and not just troll posts that are directed at me.  If you want me to call you out on it every time I will do so.  BTW, I'm well above sea level where I live so I'm not terribly worried about how much the ocean rises.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #776 on: June 23, 2018, 04:56:07 pm »

Note my little illustration showing how I understand how water moves across the globe according to the laws of gravity. Tell me where I'm misunderstanding this.
Google is your friend:  http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/question/antarctic-ice-sheet-gravitational-effect-sea-level/

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #777 on: June 23, 2018, 06:11:52 pm »

Google is your friend:  http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/question/antarctic-ice-sheet-gravitational-effect-sea-level/

Alan, I didn't find any information in that linked article that explained how scientists or any researcher can accurately determine the cause of sea level rises not knowing the exact volume of water in all of Earth's oceans. The target is too big to measure due to too many variables.

But thanks for the very interesting linked article.

Ray

« Reply #778 on: June 23, 2018, 06:56:03 pm »

Head rattles? Could it be the effect of elevated CO2 levels?
Excess CO2 is known to negatively impact learning abilities ..., but head rattles?

Cheers,
Bart

Now that could be a further explanation for the irrational alarmism about Anthropogenic Global Warming.  ;D

I've often thought it must be due to a type of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). However, a contributing factor could be the elevated levels of CO2 in the offices and laboratories where most people work.

The levels of CO2 that people exhale as a waste product, is far greater than the amount we inhale. Unless there is adequate ventilation in work places and homes, which there often isn't, people will be exposed to far higher levels of CO2 than exist outside in the natural environment.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #779 on: June 23, 2018, 07:39:36 pm »

Alan, I didn't find any information in that linked article that explained how scientists or any researcher can accurately determine the cause of sea level rises not knowing the exact volume of water in all of Earth's oceans. The target is too big to measure due to too many variables.

Hi Tim,

I think that scientists who specialize in oceanography have a decent idea about the amount of water on our planet.

However, the challenge is in figuring out the amount/mass of water that's in a frozen state on land. That's the amount that would be added to the water volume, plus that the land will rebound locally without the ice mass weighing it down thus leaving less room for water.

Add to that that water is at its densest at 4 degrees Celsius, so there will also be thermal expansion of that volume. In addition, white ice/snow surfaces reflect sunlight, but the darker landmass and water will absorb more heat and accelerate the warming.

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 53   Go Up