Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where does LR6 save custom paper sizes?  (Read 1400 times)

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
Where does LR6 save custom paper sizes?
« on: April 25, 2018, 08:41:25 pm »

I use LR6 (non CC) and I'm configuring a new C drive for my Win 7 machine. My old C drive has LR6 installed and the print module has a large amount of custom paper sizes I've defined. Where are these definitions saved? I'd like to transfer them to my new hard drive so that LR6 can use them and I don't have to spend hours redefining them.
Thanks

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Where does LR6 save custom paper sizes?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 03:02:28 am »

Often the custom paper sizes are stored within the printer driver and depending on their construction you may not be able to get access to them. Based on my experience.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 05:24:30 am »

I use LR6 (non CC) and I'm configuring a new C drive for my Win 7 machine. My old C drive has LR6 installed and the print module has a large amount of custom paper sizes I've defined. Where are these definitions saved? I'd like to transfer them to my new hard drive so that LR6 can use them and I don't have to spend hours redefining them.
Thanks
There are in:
C:\Users\"user_name_here"\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Print Templates

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 08:48:04 am »

If you just have a single driver that is possible but IIRC LR has an option to store user templates in the same location where the LR catalog is.  Also, print drivers store custom paper sizes if you have any of those and you should look in the user manual to see how to export those for reinstallation.  If you don't do that it doesn't matter if you save the LR templates, you will still have to recreate the printer settings.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 11:52:35 am »

There are in:
For my installation this is not the case. The Print Templates folder contains only an empty folder called User Templates.

Often the custom paper sizes are stored within the printer driver and depending on their construction you may not be able to get access to them.
Yes, if I change to a different printer within LR I no longer have my custom paper sizes, which makes sense.

...print drivers store custom paper sizes if you have any of those and you should look in the user manual to see how to export those for reinstallation...
This is what it boils down to. If I can figure it out I'll post the solution.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 12:38:19 pm »

I found the answer here… https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1958957, as follows:

“barneymbryant Mar 15, 2016 5:02 AM (in response to glarry)
I needed these settings as well.  I ran process monitor and found the files here:
C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\"computer architecture"\3\GARO1\"Printer Name"\"filename.udg"
The key here is to locate the .udg file.  It will be somewhere in the drivers folder from the path above but the location will change based on the printer and the architecture.  After copying this .udg file to the new system the user had all the page size settings back in the printer driver.   I looked at the .udg file in text pad and it is just a bunch of code but it does the job.”

In my case, the file CNWP64AM.UDG was located in this folder:
C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3\GARO1\Canon iPF6400

Interesting to note that this file was not present (the above folder was empty) after the initial installation of Lightroom. At that time the Canon iPF6400 driver contained only the standard paper sizes. So the .UDG file apparently contains only items that have been added by the user to the driver. I simply copied the file into the empty folder and now I have all my custom paper sizes back.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 12:53:48 pm »

There are in:
That is the correct answer as to where LR specifically saves this info. The driver is a different issue altogether. LR is somewhat unique in how it deals with all the saved settings using as correctly pointed out by Panagiotis, in Print Templates if (and you should) save them there. Not the case with say Photoshop or most other applications.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 01:02:10 pm »

That is the correct answer as to where LR specifically saves this info...
I'm confused. In my case LR did not save this info there. That folder contained only an empty folder called User Templates. Are you saying that I could have somehow saved those custom paper sizes somewhere else, in a template? If so, how do I do that?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 01:15:14 pm »

I'm confused. In my case LR did not save this info there. That folder contained only an empty folder called User Templates. Are you saying that I could have somehow saved those custom paper sizes somewhere else, in a template? If so, how do I do that?
IF you saved a print template, and depending on if you have "Save Presets with Catalog" or not, those settings are saved within said Print Templates.
And you want to do this! It saves tremendous time as the Print Template saves all kinds of information besides the size.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 01:55:15 pm »

... the Print Template saves all kinds of information besides the size.
Hmmm...I just tried this experiment...
Now that I have all of my paper sizes back via the procedure I outlined above, I opened an image and created a Print Template for it. I then opened another image and accessed the Print Template and, as expected, the correct paper size came up.
Then I went back and deleted (renamed) the .UDG file that contained all the paper sizes for the iPF6400 printer driver. Then I went into LR and pulled up an image, loaded the template I had just created and... the custom paper size was not available.

So, I believe the Print Template does save the setting for the paper size. However, if the current printer driver does not contain the definition for that paper size, you are out of look. As Andrew stated, the driver is a different issue altogether.

My problem was that when installing LR and the printer driver from scratch on a new hard drive, the custom paper sizes I had created in the old printer driver on my old system were lost. After performing the experiment I just described, I don't believe those paper size definitions are saved in a Print Template. They are apparently REFERENCED as a setting in that template, but without the .UDG file, the definitions themselves are unavailable. Those are what I was lacking.

I see now that I invited some confusion when I originally posted...
...My old C drive has LR6 installed and the print module has a large amount of custom paper sizes I've defined...
I should have stated "printer driver" and not "print module".
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:55:04 pm by pcgpcg »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 02:11:38 pm »

As expected - Lightroom can't modify the printer driver and its settings, so Lightroom can only reference them.   The print template saves all the information in the printer dialogs, as well as all of the settings related to the Lightroom panel (right side) but can only store a reference to anything specifically saved in the printer dialogs (printer driver settings), such as paper size.  If you change any of those settings in your printer driver outside of Lightroom, the template cannot function, because all Lightroom does is access the specific setting, it cannot recreate them in the driver.

This actually affects Mac users quite often because they have become accustomed to using the OS/driver presets when printing from Photoshop.  however, Lightroom really struggles with the driver presets and it seems templates break all the time because some seemingly unrelated change in the driver presets while printing in another program. The only way to insure 100% reliability on a Mac is to always leave the Print Settings... preset option to Default Settings, then rely on the Lightroom template to store all of the settings you want to make in the two printer dialog boxes.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 03:16:22 pm »

As expected - Lightroom can't modify the printer driver and its settings, so Lightroom can only reference them.   The print template saves all the information in the printer dialogs, as well as all of the settings related to the Lightroom panel (right side) but can only store a reference to anything specifically saved in the printer dialogs (printer driver settings), such as paper size.  If you change any of those settings in your printer driver outside of Lightroom, the template cannot function, because all Lightroom does is access the specific setting, it cannot recreate them in the driver.

This actually affects Mac users quite often because they have become accustomed to using the OS/driver presets when printing from Photoshop.  however, Lightroom really struggles with the driver presets and it seems templates break all the time because some seemingly unrelated change in the driver presets while printing in another program. The only way to insure 100% reliability on a Mac is to always leave the Print Settings... preset option to Default Settings, then rely on the Lightroom template to store all of the settings you want to make in the two printer dialog boxes.
Right, and one big issue for Epson users is when they try to use Print Templates and the Presets dropdown in the Epson Print dialog. That needs to remain on Default Settings when using a Template.
Pages: [1]   Go Up