Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't import files from D850  (Read 3932 times)

Malcolm Payne

Can't import files from D850
« on: April 25, 2018, 10:45:32 am »

I have a strange problem with my new D850 and Capture One v11.1 on Windows 10. I don't yet have an XQD card reader so am reliant on a direct USB connection for the moment for importing files.

If I connect the camera and open File Explorer (not C1) I can see the D850 with the folders for the two cards and the subfolders with the images, and can copy the files from there to the PC as expected. So far, so good.

However, if I attempt to import directly into C1, the import window can't see either memory card and only shows the main D850 folder (and sometimes not even that until the camera is restarted) which it says is empty, with no subfolders.

After closing C1, Windows File Explorer then also shows an empty D850 folder until I shutdown and restart the camera, when the subfolders then reappear (but are still not visible in C1).

This behaviour is fully repeatable on two PCs and with both USB3 and USB2 connections and cables. The D850 appears to work normally otherwise on the USB3 connection, with all capture and remote functions seemingly fully functional.

I've just checked with my D3X and that appears to behave identically, so I doubt it's a D850 problem specifically (I've always used a card reader for D3X files so hadn't noticed the issue previously).

Am I missing something obvious here? A camera setting? Missing drivers? A bug in the C1 import procedure? Or am I simply expecting it to do something it's not designed to do? The camera manual is not helpful, neither so far is Google.

Any suggestions. comments or confirmation would be gratefully received. I'll raise a case with Phase One if necessary, but wanted to make sure it wasn't user error first.

Many thanks in advance.

nemtom

• Tamas Nemeth
    • 500 px gallery
Re: Can't import files from D850
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 12:36:03 pm »

Hi Malcolm,

Whenever a supported camera is connected to a computer running Capture One via USB, it is turned into an Image Interface (PCP) class, so the camera can be used as a tethering device. To be able to see the files on your XQD reader the device should be in the Mass storage mode.

So the solution is to your problem is to shut down Capture One, attach your camera and use File Explorer to offload your images to a temporary folder, and then import from there.

Best regards,
Tamas

I have a strange problem with my new D850 and Capture One v11.1 on Windows 10. I don't yet have an XQD card reader so am reliant on a direct USB connection for the moment for importing files.

If I connect the camera and open File Explorer (not C1) I can see the D850 with the folders for the two cards and the subfolders with the images, and can copy the files from there to the PC as expected. So far, so good.

However, if I attempt to import directly into C1, the import window can't see either memory card and only shows the main D850 folder (and sometimes not even that until the camera is restarted) which it says is empty, with no subfolders.

After closing C1, Windows File Explorer then also shows an empty D850 folder until I shutdown and restart the camera, when the subfolders then reappear (but are still not visible in C1).

This behaviour is fully repeatable on two PCs and with both USB3 and USB2 connections and cables. The D850 appears to work normally otherwise on the USB3 connection, with all capture and remote functions seemingly fully functional.

I've just checked with my D3X and that appears to behave identically, so I doubt it's a D850 problem specifically (I've always used a card reader for D3X files so hadn't noticed the issue previously).

Am I missing something obvious here? A camera setting? Missing drivers? A bug in the C1 import procedure? Or am I simply expecting it to do something it's not designed to do? The camera manual is not helpful, neither so far is Google.

Any suggestions. comments or confirmation would be gratefully received. I'll raise a case with Phase One if necessary, but wanted to make sure it wasn't user error first.

Many thanks in advance.

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 09:40:49 am »

Thanks Tamas, that makes sense now. The D3X has a menu setting for USB Mass Storage or MTP/PTP mode; I'd checked for a similar setting on the D850 but not found anything.

The obvious longer-term solution is an XQD card reader, when I can find something suitable at a reasonable price.

Thanks again.

jeremyrh

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 11:07:14 am »

Thanks Tamas, that makes sense now. The D3X has a menu setting for USB Mass Storage or MTP/PTP mode; I'd checked for a similar setting on the D850 but not found anything.

The obvious longer-term solution is an XQD card reader, when I can find something suitable at a reasonable price.

Thanks again.
Not sure if this qualifies as "reasonable price" but I have this one and it works fine:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-XQD-Card-Reader-Adaptor/dp/B01BV2V77K/ref=pd_sim_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YBGSRC5QR7E4YDAM3A69

(I found it a bit cheaper at fotokonijnenberg.nl )

Now I just need to find somewhere that actually has XQD cards in stock ...

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 04:27:44 am »

Thank you for the link. Ideally I'm looking for a USB3 multi-format + XQD reader at a not too ridiculous price to replace my ageing Belkin USB2 one, but I haven't found anything that ticks all the boxes yet. I may have to settle for an XQD-only one short term to avoid the hassle with direct camera connection.

Park Cameras (www.parkcameras.com) had XQD cards in stock a few weeks ago when I bought the camera from them.

For what it's worth, I can highly recommend Park as a dealer; their prices are much the same as other UK suppliers but their customer service is superb (I had excessive hot pixels on my first D3X and they exchanged it twice without quibble, some months after the original purchase).

jeremyrh

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 06:34:42 am »

Thank you for the link. Ideally I'm looking for a USB3 multi-format + XQD reader at a not too ridiculous price to replace my ageing Belkin USB2 one, but I haven't found anything that ticks all the boxes yet. I may have to settle for an XQD-only one short term to avoid the hassle with direct camera connection.

Park Cameras (www.parkcameras.com) had XQD cards in stock a few weeks ago when I bought the camera from them.

For what it's worth, I can highly recommend Park as a dealer; their prices are much the same as other UK suppliers but their customer service is superb (I had excessive hot pixels on my first D3X and they exchanged it twice without quibble, some months after the original purchase).

Yes, agree about Park Cameras - in fact coincidentally I bought a card there yesterday at the same price as Amazon. (I live 20 minutes from the shop which is dangerous!!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up